About Me

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hi, I’m Sharon, thanks for visiting my blog.

About four years ago,  I started Test With Skewer as a place to upload some photos of novelty cakes I’d created.

What started as a whim grew into a mild obsession. Suddenly, I was part of a not-so-secret society of people who like talking about food, eating food, cooking food, and most of all taking pictures of food!

Often, I've wondered what keeps me blogging.  After all, there are so many amazing food blogs out there.  This whole blogging caper takes up so much time and effort. Imagine the hours I could have spent reading or chilling out instead of balancing plates and cutlery while struggling to take photos.

But then I'll stumble across an interesting ingredient, or find a really cool restaurant, or make a ridiculously silly dessert, and I think: "I'll have to post this on the blog".  And I realise  - blogging keeps me excited. As long as there is something to learn, new connections to make and interesting food to try, I'll keep going.


 Join me?






I have taken all the photos on this site using a Canon Powershot G10 (unless credited otherwise). I'm not a "natural" camera person and I sweated these photos, so please don't steal them. Please ask nicely if you'd like to use them. Feel free to contact me on its[dot]sharon[at]gmail[dot]com, or leave a comment. I love hearing from you ☺.


Thank you to all the food bloggers out there who are a constant source of inspiration!


PS - Please ignore the date at the top of this post. This is the quickest way for me to have an "About" page without having to grapple with HTML. And if you're looking for the old "About Me" info, uh...sorry, I deleted it.

14 comments:

Lara said...

Hi Sharon - it's Lara. Wow, who would have known you were SUCH a foodie!! Me too!! You should see the cookbooks in my kitchen, I'm going to have to put them storage. All I think about is cooking, so it was so interesting to log on here and read all of this. I've got an Indian cooking class for my birthday coming up on the art of Palak Paneer and North Indian Vegetarian Cuisine. I'm a saddo. Other love is baking, also self-taught, but never quite bothered about the presentation of the cakes - until now. Hence the purchase of Planet Cake, and your beautiful cake at the weekend inspired me totally. My other love is baking bread, tonight's gem was sumac flatbreads, yum.
So fascinating to read this, and to think I've seen you 100 times at kindy - how we could have bored each other to death!! Oh the missed opportunities!!
Lara xxx

Fruit Maven said...

Hi Sharon! Found your site through Foodgawker. I am loving your site and specifically all the "unusual" fruit you highlight. I will be coming back often. Thanks.

shaz said...

Cheers Lara

Thanks Fruit Maven, glad you dropped by to say hi :)

WizzyTheStick said...

Lol- I see I'm not the only one who calls the time before kids BC. Oh my goodness my monkey cake can't compare to the stuff you do. Glad to have met you and I'll be by often.

shaz said...

Thank you Wizzy, it's BC because it feels like SO long ago :) And I have great respect for your monkey cake.

That's Ron said...

Hi sharon,

great blog... hey quick question..i'm coming over to sydney for easter... what food joints do you recommend? from one malaysian to another...

asian or western... what should i not miss?

shaz said...

Thanks Ron, will have to put on my thinking cap :)

Marie said...

Sharon - I found your blog by way of TasteSpotting.

I'm an American born in Malaysia and raised in Malaysia and Singapore. Needless to say, I absolutely love your blog. I'm still giggling helplessly over the durian entry. I would fall into the "love it" category when it comes to durian, by the way. It's now available frozen here in the US but ... are you kidding? Seriously, we wouldn't buy it the day after it fell when I was growing up, why on earth would I buy a frozen one?!

By the way - I'm a foodie too. I'm thinking it's hard to grow up in south east asia and not be obsessed with great food.

Bookmarking your blog...

shaz said...

Thank you for visiting Marie, and for leaving such a lovely comment :) Do you blog as well? I'd love to visit.

Marie said...

I don't blog ... but I'm beginning to think I should. I love food, cooking, photography, writing ... seems sort of like a natural fit. If I ever take it up, I'll be sure to invite you in for a visit. :)

shaz said...

You sound like you'd be a natural at it Marie :) Let me know if you do start, will definitely visit.

Charmaine said...

Hi, I came to your blog from 3 hungry tummies. Like you, I am also a M'sian girl living in Sydney with two beautiful daughters. Love the roti canai.

Sasa said...

Nice to meet you! I'm a Kiwi living in Austria and I started off not liking the food styling/photography part of blogging but now...well, it's not so bad - guess it's hard to be a food blogger without it! Look forward to Malaysian recipes, I had a Malaysian flattie a long time ago and I always loved what he cooked.

Sanjeeta kk said...

Love your two dumplings out there :) Lovely space, and thanks for stopping by my blog. Great to keep in touch. Hope to share and learn a lot new in cooking from your region. Best wishes, take care.