Upsy Daisy is a character from the kids television show, The Night Garden. I made this one for a 4 year old's birthday. I made layers of vanilla and chocolate cake from recipes in Rose Beranbaum's The Cake Bible (absolutely the best cake baking book ever!). The "skirt" had a 20cm round cake as a base, then a mound shaped cake baked in a stainless steel mixing bowl.
The body was a smaller round cut from a square cake (I think it was a 15cm square), and another mound baked in a smaller mixing bowl. (I greased and lined the mixing bowls with baking paper and the cakes turned out beautifully. I did have to bake them a bit longer than stated in the recipe as it was so deep, and I covered the tops of the cake with foil to prevent burning). The head was circle baked in a 10cm round cake tin. The legs were bits of leftover cake from the square, and the feet were cupcakes.
The various layers were held together with chocolate buttercream and for added strength I put plastic drinking straws in as "scaffolding" - a technique recommended in The Cake Bible.
Because the character is so colourful, I covered each part of the body separately. Using ready bought red plastic icing, I covered the skirt first. (I tried coluring my own icing once, it took nearly a whole jar of paste colour to get the icing a passable red, so now I buy the red and black ready-made). Then I put the body on top of the skirt and covered that with orange icing, smoothing with my hands as I went. I wrapped the head in chocolate coloured icing before I popped it onto the top of the cake. Then I added legs and covered them with yellow coloured icing.
Then I added on the details like the white petal layer for the skirt, the tiny flowers on the body and the bands on the legs. I also rolled out icing arms and hands and added that on. I used a little bit of cake decorators glue to make sure the arms didn't fall off during transport. After that, it was on with the facial features and finally the hair!! I had made the hair a few days in advance but they still hadn't dried enough by the time I put them on (with cake decorators glue), so I was a bit disappointed that they couldn't stand up straight and had to be supported on the face. But live and learn, as they say...