Slice or pie? (The lime curd slice attempt)

Thursday, June 18, 2009

lime meringue pie


Hmmm, I had leftover lime curd and candied lime peel (see previous post as to why ☺). Since I wasn’t sure how long I could keep lime/lemon curd for, I was keen to use it up as soon as possible. I tried to find out what constituted a safe time-frame for refrigerating lime curd, but after lots of googling and researching, I came up with answers ranging from a fortnight to a month. The longest estimate put it at three months! I figured I was within the fortnight frame, but to be extra safe, I decided to make sure the lime curd was cooked.

When I ended up with two egg whites from another recipe, the decision was clear! I was going to attempt a lime curd slice. Fortuitously, I also turned up a small container of frozen lemon curd (about a month in the freezer). Perfect!

Now I had to decide on the base…I ended up making a sweet shortcrust pastry (200g plain flour to 100g butter, and 1 egg) using the “rubbing-in” method. I could have made it in the food processor but I was too lazy to clean it afterwards!

(The lime curd layer sprinkled with candied lime peel)


Lime curd slice

1 quantity shortcrust pastry OR your preferred slice base.
Half cup lime/lemon curd (or a mix of the two!)
Candied lime peel (optional)
2 egg whites
pinch of cream of tartar
Half cup caster sugar

Assembly:
Preheat oven to 175˚ C. Line base of baking pan with baking paper. Gently roll out pastry and flatten into the base of pan. Bake blind till golden (about 5-7 minutes). Remove from oven and cool slightly (5 mins). Reduce oven temperature to 150˚C. Spread lime/lemon curd over base, sprinkle with chopped candied peel and put back into oven for approximately 5 more minutes or until cooked to your liking.

Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 130˚C. Whip egg whites with pinch of cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar in batches, and whip until glossy and stiff. Spread over slice base and put back into oven and bake for about 20 minutes, watching closely to make sure it doesn’t burn.

Remove and let cool before attempting to remove from pan. When cool, cut into slices with serrated knife.

The verdict?
It tasted too much like lemon meringue pie to be called a slice. So once I got over the fact I’d actually made bite-sized pie pieces instead of slice, I was very happy with it.

Next time, I’ll definitely try a different base.

2 comments:

Not Quite Nigella said...

Slice or pie, it looks fabulous with that billowing meringue cloud! :D

shaz said...

Thanks Lorraine..that's my favourite part to eat as well...mmmm....