Bake to the future*

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

all about buns and scones


A parcel arrived in the mail the other day and a wave of nostalgia swept over me when the contents spilled out. Mum, my most enthusiastic (and only? ;) ) blog follower had decided to post over a few recipe booklets she thought I’d find handy.

One of these was a 1957 booklet for Stork margarine (The Stork Cookery Service) titled “All about buns and scones”. Within the pages, Mum had slipped a note detailing how her classmate had given her the book back when they were 18 year olds. Awww…

I remembered leafing through this book many times when I was younger but I don’t remember making anything from the recipes then. No time like the present eh?


The following blackberry “bun” recipe went down particularly well with (almost) everyone. (Mini critic junior didn’t like them - but she really liked the rock cakes from the same book, maybe I’ll post that recipe soon).

Here’s to “old” recipes!

Blackbberry Buns
(these are actually filled scones)
adapted from All about buns and scones (The Stork Cookery Service)
Makes about 18 small buns or 12 large ones.

8oz (8 heapeds tablespoons) self-raising flour and a pinch of salt
3 ozs butter (the original recipe calls for Stork margarine of course)
3 ozs (3 rounded tablespoons) sugar
1 egg
5 tablespoons milk
Finely grated rind of 1 orange (or lemon if preferred)
12 (or 18) small teaspoons jam (I used blackberry )

Preheat oven to 400˚F (I estimated it to be around 180˚C)

Cover a baking tray with baking paper.

Sieve flour and salt into a large bowl. Cut butter into small cubes. Gently rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. I find that holding my hands high above the bowl helps to keep the mixture fine. This way, I resist the temptation to "squash" the butter.
Stir in the sugar and rind into flour mixture.

Beat egg lightly with milk. Make a well in the flour mix and pour in the egg mixture. Mix into a soft dough. I used a flexible rubber spatula for mixing the dough

Divide dough into 12 equal balls (sprinkle flour onto work surface if needed). Flatten slightly, put a teaspoon of jam in the middle and seal. Place on tray seam side down.

scone with filling

Brush tops of buns with some milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in oven until golden and cooked (about 20 minute according to instructions, but I found mine only needed about 15).


baked sconesBunfight survivors

(Scones are usually meant to be eaten the day they are made. These didn’t last too long but the few we had the next day still tasted great.)

*(thank you Mr. Kitchen Hand for the post title)

6 comments:

Hungry Dog said...

Your mum is not your only follower! I love reading your posts! And these look lovely. What the heck is a rock cake?

Anh said...

I think this is fun, trying retro recipes. Keep us posted with the interesting recipes you have tried!

shaz said...

Aw shucks thanks Hungry Dog - you can tell I was fishing can't you ;P. A rock cake is basically a scone with bits in it (eg raisins, but we hate "flies" so I used craisins instead).

Thanks Anh - never thought the retro recipe coud be so fun.

morgana said...

Hey! You even have a spanish follower too (me, of couse). My english is not good enough sometimes to understand everything I read (and I'll better won't talk about trying to write in english so that you can understand what I mean and not report me to the language police for smashing grammar and orthography) but the spirit of the whole thing, and of course photos and recipes are quite clear and so interesting...

Cheers from Spain.

shaz said...

Hi Morgana - thank you very much, and your English is amazing, I actually had to look up the word orthography! Now I have learnt a new word, thanks :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh that's such a clever idea made pre filled scones! I really want to try this too so thankyou for sharing this! :D