Happy Birthday Tuile You.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

flower tuille with cream


That’s stretching it a bit isn’t it? But I just wanted to wish my mama a very Happy Birthday!! (And to apologise for being slack and not mailing her present yet…ooops, sorry).

My mama doesn’t really have a sweet tooth, but she does have a weakness for cheesecake. So I made a pretty dessert inspired by cheesecake and cumquats that are in season now.

We don’t really eat cumquats in Malaysia. Cumquat trees laden with fruit are used as decorations during the Lunar New Year celebrations, and I’ve had preserved cumquats that taste salty and sweet, but never really cooked with the fruit until today.

bowl of cumquats

The little bitty cumquats looked so pretty at the greengrocer’s that I just had to bring some home though. I’m glad I did, because candied cumquats are sensational! Where have they been all my life! (Oh yeah, right, decorations).

To candy the cumquats, it’s a really simple process.

Candied cumquats
(I used about one cupful of cumquats)
Wash, dry and slice cumquats (or leave whole if preferred). In a saucepan over low heat, dissolve one cup sugar with one cup water. Add cumquats and let mixture simmer gently until thick and syrupy. Stir from time to time to prevent catching.

pistachio tuille flowersPistachio Tuile Flowers


And what better way to wish someone a happy birthday than with flowers? Pistachio tuile flowers in this case. Everything I needed to know about making tuilles I found here. I used a teaspoon to freehand the flower shapes on baking paper and after baking, popped the flowers into a mini patty pan tray to make cupped shapes.



moulding tuillesTuile Moulding Process


For the filling, I made a simple mascarpone cream.

Cinnamon mascarpone cream
1 cup mascarpone cheese
½ cup thin cream
2 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Whip cream until fluffy. Beat sugar and cinnamon into mascarpone, then add to cream and mix very well. Chill until required.

pistachio tuille mascarpone cream cumquats

There you are Mum, a very pretty Pistachio tuile with cinnamon mascarpone and candied cumquats, especially for you! Hope you have a wonderful day today!!

9 comments:

anudivya said...

All of those look adorable... I have not used kumquats before, but I intend to.

Katiecakes said...

Your flowers are perfect! What beautiful presentation!

Katie xox

shaz said...

Thank you Anudivya - they're really too bitter to eat raw and need to be cooked, but once cooked, the flavour and scent is beautiful.

Thanks katiecakes - loved your flood cookies :)

Rachel said...

Very pretty tuiles..beautifully shaped. Reminds me of the Daring baker challenge of tuiles.

Hungry Dog said...

How beautiful! Kumquats are so gorgeous, I always want to buy them but never know what to do with them. Candy them, I guess! Thanks for the inspiration.

shaz said...

Thanks Rachel - I'd love to see what the Daring bakers did with tuiles!

Thanks Hungry Dog - I'm definitely going to use kumquats more often now.

Julia @ Mélanger said...

Your tuiles are just perfect. I had a terrible time making these! Lovely!

Y said...

What a beautiful treat you made! Hope she had a great birthday.

shaz said...

Thanks Julia - I was actually quite surprised they turned out that well!

Thanks Y - she had a good one :)