Feeding the Hunger Monster

Friday, September 11, 2009

TGIF. The weekend is a wonderful break from trying to figure out what to put into school lunchboxes. And the dilemma of what to feed the “monster” that emerges from the classroom.

Don’t get me wrong, Mini-critic Senior is usually a funny, engaging child to hang around with. But when the “Hunger Monster” rears it’s ugly head – heaven help us!

Coupled with the fact that she gets easily distracted at meal-times, especially at school lunch, it means she’s running really empty by the time the school day ends. By this stage, a piece of fruit just ain’t gonna cut it. And a cupcake every day – well, that’s obviously not going to work either.

So here’s a selection of ideas I use to tame the savage beast (and sibling) - in a hopefully healthy fashion. Most of them can also be packed into containers and are portable enough to eat on the way to after-school activities.



Chickpea (Garbanzo Bean) Salad
chickpea saladExtremely quick to make : I use canned chickpeas (one day I intend to get organised and cook a huge batch to freeze). Other ingredients are cherry tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice. My monsters like sour tastes and I can convince them to try almost anything if I add lemon juice. Strange but true.

Yoghurt and fruit

yoghurt with fruitPlain unsweetened yogurt, drizzled with honey and served with soft fruit (we are having a bit of a strawberry glut at the moment. Joy!)

Cones of silence

chipsOven baked chips - a little longer to make but easy. I drizzle them with olive oil and lemon juice .

Toasty goodness
stuffed frencg toastStuffed french toast. Any combination of soft fruit can be sandwiched inside slices of bread. These ones actually had rehydrated dried fruit (a mix of cranberries and strawberries) because I didn't have any other fruit on hand. Dip the sandwiches into a mixture of egg and milk (I also add a pinch of sugar and cinnamon). Fry with a little dab of butter in non-stick frypan.

Sunshine in a cup

strawberry and papaya in blenderAnd last but not least, an oldie but a goodie. Smoothies! This one had a combination of strawberries, papaya, yoghurt, dash of milk and a few ice-cubes to thin it down.


Do you have a “beast” at home too? Would love to hear how you tame their "hunger monsters" too.

Have a great weekend and see you on Monday :)

7 comments:

Anh said...

You are an incredible mother. I do not have kids yet and I already feel burnt out! Great ideas for kids’ snack and meal!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

These are fantastic ideas! And anything with a sour flavour or lemon juice? I think a miracle just occured! :P

shaz said...

Thanks so much Anh - you're too kind! I think all mums are incredible (yay for the sisterhood)

Thanks Lorraine - I don't know how it happened but the eldest child loves sucking on the lemon when we get fish and chips!! And youngest does whatever the eldest does :)

Hungry Dog said...

What great ideas! Your little "monsters" are lucky! I love the photo of the chips, so elegant!

Y said...

Cones of silence would certainly work on me for a little while! :D

Grace said...

yeah, there's a savage beast in my home--me! and every one of these snacks would satisfy me, especially the stuffed french toast. can i stuff it with peanut butter? drool! :)

shaz said...

Thanks Hungry Dog - they are actually brown paper lunch bags. The cones can be "closed" by squishing the top flap down - easy transport :)

Me too Y!

Peanut butter? Now you're talking Grace! Maybe Nutella too..oooh.