Self-righteous salad (aka Quinoa salad)

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

spring flowers
Happy first day of spring to my fellow bloggers on the upside down continent.

Perfect timing for this post really.

Lest some should surmise Shaz survives solely on sugar, she’s setting things straight.

Presenting the self-righteous salad – chock full of wholesome goodness it cancels out all dessert calories following it (I wish). And because quinoa is really a seed and not a grain, it’s gluten free to boot.

raw quinoa grainsRaw quinoa


cooked quinoaCooked quinoa - I like how they sort of unfurl and you can see little "tails" on them


Quinoa salad

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water

Bring the quinoa and water to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes. I like my quinoa with a “bite” so after testing for doneness, I drain it rather than let the grains absorb all the water.

1½ - 2 medium sweet potatoes – diced, tossed in olive oil then roasted until cooked
1 bunch English spinach (or handful of baby spinach leaves)
(I leave baby spinach uncooked but if using older spinach, I slice the spinach finely and sautee with a clove of garlic and olive oil)
1 block haloumi – sliced thinly and fried
Handful pepitas
Handful sunflower kernels
(or any other nutty/seedy combo as desired – eg. Sesame seeds, toasted almonds etc)


Dressing

Juice from half a lemon
1 tsp honey
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp tahini (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Whisk all seasoning ingredients together until blended.


quinoa saladSelf-righteous salad - no one said it was pretty

To serve: Mix spinach and sweet potato through the quinoa. Toss gently with some dressing. Top with seeds and haloumi. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Sit back and radiate goodness.

7 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Anything topped with halloumi has got to be great! This looks nice and healthy too. I was given a packet of quinoa but when I opened it it had bugs in it-shame as I was looking forward to trying it!

Hungry Dog said...

Happy spring! This salad looks great. I recently started making quinoa and have found it very versatile. I love sweet potatoes and spinach together. Nice!

Veggie Belly said...

I have to agree with Lorraine, anything with halloumi is elevated to another level. Love the name of this dish!

Grace said...

well, you’ve got your crunch (mmm, pepitas), you’ve got your flavor (hello, haloumi!), and you’ve got the neatest looking little grains ever. i’d say this is a successful dish. :)

Juliana said...

You just reminded me that I have quinoa in my cupboard...should definitely try your recipe...like the honey on your dressing :-)

shaz said...

@ Lorraine and Veggiebelly - I really love haloumi too - surprisingly the kids don't like it, too salty apprently (this from a child who eats salt flakes)

Thanks grace - I love how it's very tasty yet so good for you.

Thanks Hungry dog - Happy Fall :)

Thanks Juliana - the honey helps balance out the tahini (may not need so much if not using tahini)

Gabriella said...

Dear Testwithskewer, this quinoa salad looks beautiful! I went gaga over the dressing you made and how you included haloumi. This deserves the name of self-righteous salad. "Wild Thing", you make my heart sing! Loved and saved this recipe. I shall revisit you soon. Thank you for sharing.
Cheers, Gaby
You can always visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com.