A zest for life,

Wednesday, October 7, 2009



and a spring in our step -ahhh holidays!

We've been visiting Mr. Kitchen Hand's parents who live on the South Coast of NSW and we were spoilt silly. They afforded us the greatest luxury any parent could wish for - sleep-ins and babysitting. We managed to catch a real-live movie (District 9) before it went to DVD.


The weather was a bit miserable, so we did what any sensible person would do - have long lunches and warm cosy meals .





In between bouts of rain, we walked off the lunches and warm, cosy meals.




The mini-critics enjoyed exploring their grandparent's lush garden and vegetable patch. (Yes, the Nana and Pop have very green fingers indeed).


Look at those potato plants! The largest mint I've ever seen. I think the radish is ready, and I'll quit while I'm ahead. 


Bee-yootiful blossoms 



Of course, no trip would be complete without some presents. The mini-critics were thrilled when they got to pick some oranges and lemons to bring home.




Expect to see citrus inspired dishes for a little while :) Any suggestions very welcome.

10 comments:

Hungry Dog said...

Welcome back, Shaz! Sounds like a lovely trip. There's no shortage of things you can do with citrus...poundcake, lemon pie, salad dressings, risottos...can't wait to see what you come up with!

Carly said...

Oh my goodness. I am so so sooo jealous of that garden. I have a mint and basil planter in my kitchen window, that's all I can really swing. Citrus--if I could live in a place where I could have a lemon tree my life would be complete. Gorgeous pics!

Julia @ Mélanger said...

All those delicious lemons. My lips are almost pucking up at the thought of lemon meringue pie! Maybe? Maybe?

shaz said...

Thanks Hungry Dog! So many great ideas - forgot about risotto, I think that may be tonight's dinner :)

Ha ha Carly - I'm jealous too, wish I had the space and more sunshine..

Hi Julia - mmm...yes, i think so, maybe if I have some time on the weekend and if this weather keeps up.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What a wonderful break! The reason why I love gloomy weather is that you can have so much fun in the kitchen. Hmm lemon meringue pie as Julia mentioned or a lemon curd? Or how about a lemon cream pasta? :)

Grace said...

welcome back! when it comes to citrus, lime is my fruit of choice, but i can always support a lemon treat. or grapefruit. or orange. basically, i can always support any treat. :)

shaz said...

Cheers Lorraine - mmm...lemon curd. Must say I'm not a huge fan of creamy pasta sauces, but a lemony one sounds really good.

Thanks grace - you do very good treats!

Barbara said...

What a wonderful garden! How fortunate they are. Can't wait to see what recipes you come up with...I do love anything lemon!

shez said...

Looks absolutely idyllic! Welcome back from your holiday :) Very much looking forward to seeing what you come up with - perhaps a citrussy mousse? Or a baked lemon delicious?

shaz said...

Thanks Barbara - I love lemon too, it's a happy dilemma to have.

Cheers Shez - oooh, mousse sounds good and so does lemon delicious :)