Malaysian Monday? Must be a muggle thing.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Oops, Malaysian Monday seems to have vanished! All because we had an extra busy weekend filled with Potteresque going-ons.

It was MC Senior’s birthday and we threw a party based around her favourite book character. Of course, there was cake.





And jelly.

(sorry it's blurry, the jelly would'nt stop wobbling!) 


Some coconut ice.



And potions! My inner geek whooped with joy when I discovered how to make a pH indicator out of red cabbage juice. (Further reading here). Just in case you’d like to make your own, it’s very, very simple. I roughly chopped half a head of red cabbage, put it all into a large pot, then poured boiling water over it – enough to just cover the leaves. Put the pot on medium low heat and simmer very gently for about 5 minutes or so. Turn off the heat, cover and leave to cool. Sieve into a large bowl, then use a funnel to pour into a suitable storage container (I used a 1.25l bottle). I made this a couple of days ahead and stored in the fridge, it still worked great.

Neutral 
 
Acid (L-R: Coke, Vinegar, Lemon Juice)

Base: (L-R: Toothpaste, Laundry detergent, Baking Soda)

Best part about this pH indicator? It’s edible and can be used to turn egg white green. To make this wonderfully mad fried egg, I separated the egg and yolk, then carefully mixed in about a teaspoon of the cabbage juice into the white.  After pouring the white into a frying pan, I gently slid the yolk back on. Perfection. MC Senior could not believe I would eat it – for the record, no cabbage taste at all, tasted just like a fried egg. (Yes I know I could have achieved a similar effect using food colouring but where’s the fun in that?)



So do excuse the lack of anything remotely Malaysian, we were having too much fun.

Have a magical start to the week.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

What a fun birthday party! I LOVE Harry Potter! The cake is lovely and you did such a super job on the firebird!

Devon said...

Mixing magic and science sounds like the perfect way to spend a birthday. What did the cabbage juice taste like?

Barbara Bakes said...

How fun! That's an impressive cake!

Ellie said...

I was looking forward to see the cake! It's gorgeous :) Love the mad mad fried egg. Cabbage juice?????? Where do you get it?

Trissa said...

What a neat trick! I would definitely use this to get my five year old nephew to eat breakfast.

shaz said...

Thanks Barbara, it was super fun

Hi Devon, we didn't actually drink any of the potions but it smelt very strongly of cabbage so I assume it'd have tasted pretty cabbgey. The samll amount I added to my egg didn't really affect the taste at all.

Thanks barbara B :)

Thanks Ellie, it's just juice from a normal red cabbage and I cooked it.

Heavenly Housewife said...

What a wonderful cake and birthday goodies. Someone must have had a fab birthday. :D

Hungry Dog said...

What a fun post! That egg looks cool. You are definitely half baker half scientist!

Juliana said...

It seems that you all had a lot fun...love the jello and cabagge juice...sounds weird :-)

The Cooking Photographer said...

So cool!!!!!!!!!!!! Shaz this is awesome!!

shaz said...

:) Trissa - breakfast is good (i'm bad at it)

Yes, HH, she had a wonderful birthday!

Thanks Hungry Dog, not so sure about scientist :)

Lots and lots of fun Juliana :)

Thanks Laura!