Just floating around

Thursday, February 11, 2010

 

Not much of a post today, just a few pics of the latest cake creation. Another lemon-poppyseed cake with cream cheese icing (flavoured with lemon curd). I make a basic cream cheese icing, then add as much lemon curd as I think the icing can "hold" without going too sloppy. If I accidentally overshoot, then I add icing sugar to firm up. It's still a juggling act which is why I haven't posted any recipes yet. To add more lemony flavour, I also add some zest to the icing.



And I know you Northern Hemisphereans are saying enough already..but boy, it's been hot. I'm not just saying that for small talk, but the heat really interferes with getting my icing right. A lot of refrigeration and waiting around time needed.

Anyway, it was a scuba diver theme, and as you can see, she's making the international scuba diver sign for A-OK. (I made her out of modelling paste)

 
The cake and the topper travelled separately to the destination, then the scuba diver was placed in those rippled outlines. Hard to see but the blue specks are blue edible glitter. 


Hope you're all feelign a-ok too :)

10 comments:

Hungry Dog said...

Only you would consider this "not much of a post"! Uh, what? You made this stunning cake from scratch? Take some credit, shaz! :) ANd have a nice weekend!

Sophie said...

What a cool idea with the diver!! Funny too!

The cake looks georgous too! MMMMMMM,...

Many greetings from Brussels, Belgium!

grace said...

i'm feeling better than a-okay now that i've seen that adorable scuba diver! brilliant, shaz. :)

The Real Mother Hen said...

Wow! You are one talented baker! Man, I wish I live next door to you, so we can spend the whole day in the kitchen cooking and baking!!! :)

shaz said...

Oh you are so sweet Hungry Dog, I am taking credit, but what I meant was, not much writing to go with the post (but I suppose a lot of people would say that's a good thing!):)

Hi Sophie, nice to meet you and thank you!

Thanks Grace.

That would be fun Mother Hen and thanks for the kind compliments :)

Trissa said...

Hi Shaz! Lovely cake - I didn't realize you were so talented in making these cakes - they look totally professional.

Happy Chinese New Year!

3 hungry tummies said...

What a cool cake that is! Who is the lucky birthday girl? :)
Happy Chinese new year!

pierre said...

what to say ? !! this is just a marvel !! bravo to you !! PIerre from France

Ellie said...

Beautiful!! Loving all your cake decorations.

shaz said...

Thanks everyone!