T is for tents

Thursday, March 11, 2010

And B is for Biscuit (or C is for Cookie if you prefer).

The camping bug has bitten again and we’re off to spend a few nights under canvas.  Which means that this week’s EOWTTA is postponed. (I did start out trying to “eat the alphabet” every week, but life has a habit of happening around me, so do excuse  the tardiness).  While we’re Temporarily Taking off, we do hope To Turn up with a Timely and Thoughtful  post soon.

In the meantime, here’s a selection of biscuits/cookies I made to take along on our camping trip.  I think they’ll go nicely with the cups of tea I intend to have. Hope you have a great weekend too. Ta ta and Take care!



Home made Oreos
via Smitten Kitchen. I used the recipe provided there, but made up my own filling to go inside the cookies. One batch was plain/vanilla and the other batch was filled with a raspberry filling. I’m glad I only just baked these today because if I’d done them any earlier in the week, I don’t think there would have been any left to take on our camping trip!

For the filling:

Beat together 100g room temperature unsalted butter and 180g pure icing sugar until creamy and light in colour.

I then divided this butter filling in half, and flavoured one portion with a dash of vanilla extract and the other batch with thickened raspberry puree. To make the reduced raspberry puree, I smooshed about half cup (60g) thawed raspberries trough a sieve. The resulting puree was then heated on low heat in short bursts in the microwave until the puree thickened. I started out with about ¼ cup puree and after heating, I ended up with just over 1 tablespoonful

.




Crisp Lemon Biscuits and Buttery Ginger Biscuits from Mix and Bake by Belinda Jeffery.  I'm too lazy to type out the recipe for these but if you're really, really keen, email me and I'll try to help you out.



20 comments:

dessert girl said...

Homemade oreos? I'm imopressed! And those ginger cookies sound wonderful!

MaryMoh said...

Lovely biscuits to bring along for camping. Have a fun weekend!

grace said...

oreos are useless to me unless i have a massive glass of milk in which to dunk them. my favorite part of all is drinking the dregs when the cookies are gone. :)

areyouhungary said...

D is for droolworthy? Have an excellent weekend away!

3 hungry tummies said...

oreos with milk very nice! Have a great trip!

shaz said...

Thanks everyone! Heading off now :) will come visit all your blogs when I get back

Cheers
Shaz

Marcellina said...

Great oreos! I would use the same type of filling you did. I think in the recipe "shortening" may be equal to our cooking margarine?

Hungry Dog said...

These all look wonderful. I've been meaning to make those Oreos for awhile now...thanks for the reminder. Maybe I'll even make them today!

msmeanie said...

Lovely cookies! The oreos look amazing! Have fun camping!

Stella said...

Homemade Oreos? Now your'e talking! I hope you have fun on your camping trip...

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) said...

Who could resist a good biscuit! Nice post :)

pierre said...

hi shaz oreo are not popular in France but yoyrs are bueatiful :: cheers from pierre the french foodie

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Have fun and the oreos look lovely

Trissa said...

Camping?! What an adventure! Thank goodness you've left us some lovely cookies to nibble on while you are away! Enjoy1

shaz said...

Hi everyone, we're back and thanks for the comment love:)

dessert girl - they were actually very simple to make and the ginger cookies were excellent!

MaryMoh - we had a very fun time, thanks

grace- a fair bit of dunking happened

areyouhungary - thanks:)

3 hungry tummies - we did!


Marcellina - I'm not quite sure, I've used something called "Solite" before when I did the cake decorating course, but it's sold to trade only I think, and comes in huge boxes. I've also seen some comments on the SK post that suggested using copha (but I'm not really a fan of copha). The cookies softened after a day or two, so I'm not sure if the filling needed to have the shortening in it. The buttercream "crusted" and held it's shape and everything still tasted good so didn't bother me too much.

Hungry Dog - I definitely thought they were worth it.

msmeanie - thanks msmeanie, they tasted mighty fine too

Stella - thanks Stella!

Ellie - All the cookies disappeared, and funnily enough the kids loved the ginger ones best!

pierre - thanks Pierre!

Kitchen Butterfly - we had lots of fun, will post about it soon.

Trissa - thanks dear :)

Anh said...

I am eyeing that Oreo cookies! The homemade version should relieve me from a lot of guilt. :D

Barbara said...

Hope you had a great time, Shaz! You sure were eating well. Homemade oreos? Yummee!

Lisa said...

Homemade oreos..what's not to like? Yours look spectacular! Enjoy roughing it up in camper's land :D

shaz said...

Anh - no, I ended feeling more guilty because I ate way too many :)

Thanks Barbara - we certainly had a great time and ate very well indeed

Thanks Lisa - it wasn't too rough this time.

Betty said...

home made oreos- YUM!!!!!!
although id rather buy a packet its much more convenient :P i might duck out to the shops and get some to go with my morning tea milk :O)