Easter Bunnies

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thought I'd better get this up before I switch off my mind for the next 4 days :)
This is the sum of my easter baking so far, but I'm looking forward to spending lots of time in the kitchen over the long weekend.


Sometimes, I so feel like that bunny in the middle (bottom row)

These bunny cookies were adapted from a simple vanilla snap recipe by Donna Hay. I swapped half a cup of cocoa powder for the regular flour. Whenever I need to make a decorated cookie, I tend to use this recipe because I like the texture of the finished product. It's sweet, buttery and has a bit of a "snap" to it as the name suggests. The dough does need to be rolled out quite thinly otherwise the texture isn't as pleasing. I also find that the rolled-out dough needs to be refrigerated for a little while, otherwise it's too soft to handle easily and the cut-out shapes tend to stretch too much.

Once the cookies had cooled, I decorated them with royal icing. I use a  royal icing powder (available from cake decorating suppliers) because I tend to use a lot of small quantities very often, but if you want to make your own, just do a google search and I'm sure you'll find a recipe to your liking. In the course of decorating these cookies (thanks to a suggestion from Mr. Kitchen Hand), I also found out more than I ever thought I needed to know about emoticons. :)



Wishing all of you a very Happy Easter, and if you don't celebrate easter, wishing you a lovely break instead. Whatever your plans, remember, they'll go much better with chocolate ;P




MC Junior charmed the local florist who gave her this lily.  It got turned into a lightsaber on the way home. 'Nuff said.

26 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

They are very cute! Enjoy your long weekend !

Vanille said...

Cute bunny cookies Shaz ! And the caption makes me smile ;)
Happy Easter for you too !!

Trissa said...

Heehee... these bunnies and eggs are adorable. The perfect way to celebrate Easter! I think my nephew would love this for his Easter egg hunt.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

You bunnies and eggs are so cute! Cute styling idea for the eggs too :P Happy Easter to you and your family Shaz! :D

MaryMoh said...

Happy Easter holidays! Love all your cheeky bunnies and eggs :D

sarah @ syrupandhoney said...

i seriously adore that middle bunny!

grace said...

i'm so amused that i picked out the same google-eyed bunny as you before even reading your caption. good stuff, shaz. have a great holiday!

Esi said...

What cute little bunnies and eggs. Happy Easter!

Kathleen said...

I love all the little bunny faces!

msmeanie said...

Very very cute! Love the faces on the bunnies.

whisk-kid said...

I LOVE that middle bottom bunny! Too cute!

I can't wait to start my Easter baking :)

Lisa Michelle said...

Awww..way tooo cute..but that wouldn't stop me from eating them! ;D

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I like.....the cute bunnies. Have a superb easter break....and I 'won' an Easter hamper with loads of choccies (from a giveaway on Mowie's blog), so yes, the weekend will go faster!

shaz said...

Thank you everyone, hope you're enjoying the weekend!

whisk-kid - great to meet you

Kitchen Butterfly/Oz- congratulations, lucky you! I was eyeing that choc hamper too ;P

Barbara said...

Oh Shaz! Those are so cute! (I finally took a subscription to that magazine. Can't wait for my first issue!)

Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter, my good friend!

Erica said...

Those cookies look so cute! my kid saw the pictures and now he wants your cookies.

Mark @ Cafe Campana said...

These little bunnies are too cute! Have a happy Easter.

shaz said...

Barbara - how interesting. I actually haven't read that mag, my recipe is from a cookbook my friend gave me. But I was too lazy to type out the recipe, googled it and voila, found a link :)

Erica - He's welcome to have as many as he likes :)

Mark @ Cafe Campana - thanks!

Hungry Dog said...

Adorable of course! I love that the bunnies have different expressions. Happy Easter, shaz!

Pierre said...

i love the fun in the food so congratulations

Pierre

Claire said...

Awww, I love the bunny's little emoticon faces.

On Halloween, you could carve a pumpkin with with a winking emoticon, all sideways just like this: ;-)

Andre @ CocoaSensations said...

This looks so cute. Thumbs up for a job well done.. Happy Easter..

Liz said...

Darling Easter bunnies! Happy Easter!

Julia @Mélanger said...

These are just adorable. I love Easter cookies.

Hope you had a happy and safe weekend.

shaz said...

Thanks again everyone, hope you had a great easter!

sucre en poudre said...

very cute!
iza:)