Feeling LOST?

Friday, April 23, 2010

This one is for you LOST fans, and for a birthday of one fan in particular :)

Mr. Kitchen Hand and I used to be fans too, until about the end of Season 4. Then erratic TV scheduling intervened and new shows beckoned, but I do still have a soft spot for these island dwellers. Who knows, maybe we'll go back there one day, but in the meantime, I entertained myself by making this cake. See how many references you can spot.



The cake is basically made up of three layers (2 chocolate and one orange), sandwiched with a Conitreau flavoured chocolate ganache. The ganache was made with half milk chocolate and half dark chocolate, then a tablespoon of Cointreau added at the end. I covered the cake with ready-to-roll fondant icing and the models were made out of modelling paste. The ocean and jungle were painted with gel paste colours diluted with vodka.



Have a great weekend (long weekend if you're in Oz) and do take a pause to remember them. We've got visitors this weekend, so if Malaysian Monday doesn't appear on time, do be patient (I know you wonderful readers always are).


18 comments:

A cupcake or two said...

What an awesome cake. You are so creative.I used to love lost then it got a little crazy. I still don't get the whole polar bear on the bush thing.

Hungry Dog said...

Somehow, I've never watched Lost. I'm not sure why, I am vaguely interested. But years have passed and now it's over (or about to end?) ....anyway, this cake is awesome. How do you find time to create such elaborate desserts? You are amazing. Happy weekend to you!

Heavenly Housewife said...

Great cake! I love watching Lost. I've stuck with it from the beginning. This is supposed to be the final season, so I'm waiting for some answers (otherwise I'm going to write some angry letters LOL).
*kisses* HH

3 hungry tummies said...

You are MAD Shaz! lol
very cute though!

pierre said...

I am in awe in front of your masterpiece !!! bravo and bravo!! Pierre

grace said...

shaz, you've GOT to catch up on the previous episodes--lost is almost over! i've been addicted from the start, and i love your cake. :)

Rick said...

AAAHHHHHHH!! That is seriously effing awesome!

Trissa said...

Hi Shaz, I've never watched Lost (I know, where have I been hiding) but I have to say, you have a real talent in cake decorating. Keep it up - I love seeing your creations! Enjoy your long weekend.

JT @ areyouhungary said...

Shaz, I'm too much of a wuss to watch Lost, I get so terrified every episode. Call me Jose loves it though and LOVED the cake too! Another great job!

shaz said...

A cupcake or two - I got a bit frustrated at all the questions and no real answers every week.

Hungry Dog - err...honest answer? I stay up way too late and end up carrying a sleep debt for a few days. :) But I enjoy it so much it doesn't seem like a chore.

Heavenly Housewife - oooh, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of an angry letter from you HH!

3 hungry tummies - thanks :)

pierre - very kind Pierre

grace - I kind of got a bit excited about Lost again when making this cake so we'll wait and get the complete series on DVD I think.

Rick - cheers :)

Trissa - thank you dear.

JT @ areyouhungary - glad CMJ liked it. The photos aren't the best, I was rushing to take pics before I sent it off.

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Superb cake....and I'm not a LOST fan. Yet! Ha ha, who knows what will happen with my TV return? We shall see!

Lori said...

Very crafty! Nice job. I am in my Wilton III course, working on fondant and I just love it!

foodwink said...

I'm not a fan of Lost but this is such a fun birthday cake! Spotted the crashed plane and the kombivan though :D

P/S: Looking forward to your Msian Monday post!

Juliana said...

I am not following Lost, but your cake is awesome :-)

Marcellina said...

Another amazing cake!What details! Fantastic!

Veggie Belly said...

just brilliant! and super cute!

shaz said...

Careful Oz, you might get sucked in :)

Lori - sounds like an exciting course!

foodwink - no MM I'm afraid this week, sorry to disappoint, time just ran away from me :( But good spotting - there's also the polar bear, the hatch, the smoke monster and of course the computer (and dharma initiative logo) :)

Juliana - thank you dear

Marcellina - cheers!

Veggie Belly - thanks again.

dessert girl said...

Cute! I've managed to stick with the show all these years, although I have been tempted to quit from time to time! :-)