Malaysian Monday 37: Kuih Bom / Sweet Potato and Sesame Balls

Monday, May 24, 2010

(Hi all, this will be the last Malaysian Monday for a couple of weeks because I’m actually heading off on holidays. To Malaysia ☺. I’ll set up my Daring Baker’s challenge to autopost, and fingers crossed if all goes well, that should be up on the 27th. If time permits, I’ll try to post another pre-prepared item too but chances are I’ll be having too much fun. Keep well and I’ll be back in the first week of June to fill you in on my adventures, and to visit all of you. xo Shaz)

Now, back to our regular programme.

More balls on offer today, which should keep someone happy ;P

Kuih bom literally means “bomb” kuih. I think it’s because the dough has a tendency to explode when deep-fried. Luckily mine didn’t although the sesame seeds spattered alarmingly when I popped them into the oil.



Traditionally, these kuih are either filled with a sweet coconut filling or red bean paste filling. I’ve been trying to clear out the fridge so used the peanut filling from last’s week’s Malaysian Monday instead.

I found a very simple recipe in one of my Malaysian recipe books (a gift from aunty). The recipe makes use of 2 parts mashed sweet potato, worked into 1 part glutinous rice flour while the potatoes are still hot. Because I wasn’t quite sure how well tested these recipes were, I did a quick search through the blogs and found many, many Kuih Bom recipes which incorporated plain flour, sugar and water into the dough as well.

Instead of the usual orange sweet potato, I used a purple variety that I couldn’t resist getting when I saw it at the fruit and veg shop. This variety seemed to cook quite dry and powdery compared to the orange kind. The gorgeous purple colour survived the cooking process and the kuih looked really pretty on the inside.



These kuih are best eaten warm or it toughens up a bit. Revive them by heating in a low oven.

Have a great week ahead and I look forward to catching up with everyone when I get back from hols!

Kuih Bom
(a mash up of various recipes – makes about 9 or 10 pieces)



Filling of choice
about 220g sweet potato (about 1 medium), steamed and mashed
70g glutinous rice flour
50g plain flour
30g sugar
water for dough (I used about 1/3 cup)
sesame seeds for coating
vegetable oil for deep frying.

Sift the flour and sugar into a bowl. Mash the sweet potatoes and while still warm, work it into the flour. It will be quite stiff at this stage. Pour in water a little at a time, kneading very gently (do not overwork) with hands until the dough can be rolled into balls without cracking. Adjust water or flour as necessary. Make golf ball sized pieces of dough, flatten and place filling of choice in middle. Seal up very well (or filling will escape and sputter (or even explode), then roll the balls in sesame seeds until well coated.

My dough was quite dry so I had to moisten each ball lightly with a wet hand (stop sniggerin!!) before rolling in sesame seeds.

Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan or wok, then deep fry the balls over gentle heat until golden. I actually only filled the wok with enough oil to come halfway up each ball. Drain on kitchen paper and serve warm.

14 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

I don't think I have had this before..where have I been? :)
It looks good with the purple sweet potato !

Barbara said...

Lovely sweet potato ball!
And have a wonderful trip!

shaz said...

3HT - quite surprised you haven't had this before, do give it a try, it's great if you like sweet potato.

Barbara - sorry dear, I can't seem to publish the comment you left, I've been having a few strange things happen, not sur if my browser or Blogger is the cause - very frustrating!

Bread and Beta said...

I love the top photograph with the Kuih Bom and the drawing! Is this a drawing you did? Great combination of object and photo. It makes me think of the Alice in Wonderland photographs by Abelardo Morell http://www.abelardomorell.net/photography/alice_01/alice_01.html

Juliana said...

Oh! I love this purple potatoes, but never had with sesame...it sure looks so yummie! I know I'll like them with glutinous rice flour :-)

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

These are beautiful (and the coconut filling mentioned sounds divine) :)

foodwink said...

Have fun in Malaysia. Please have some nasi lemak, ipoh dry curry noodles, kaya toast, marmite crab and claypot rice for me.

shaz said...

Thanks Bread and Beta, yes I drew that. And thanks for the link, amazing! I don't think I'm quite up to that standard...

Thanks Juliana

Lovely to meet you Lawyer, and thank you for the kind comments

Ha ha, foodwink, I am already making a list in my head...I've never had marmite crab before actually!

grace said...

oooh, have fun in malaysia!
i like it when foods come in the form of a ball, even moreso when said ball is filled with sweet coconut or your fabulous peanut concoction. i love the purple hue too!

Jo said...

My mum's favourite but it's made with glutinous rice flour and the filling would be black sesame paste. Hope you enjoy my homeland and try out lots of Malaysian local food.

Hungry Dog said...

These look so intriguing! Have a wonderful vacation, shaz--can't wait to hear about your travels when you return.

love,
Hungry Dog

MaryMoh said...

Looks delicious. With sweet potatoes, I know it must be delicious. I love it. Thanks for sharing. Have a fun trip.

Heavenly Housewife said...

LOL!!!!!!! Oh my god, you are too funny daaaaahling, I've got to show t hat to my hubby. Yes, I did have a ball with the ball phase, didn't I. I might have to get back into it now that I've seen these.
Thanks, that made my day :D
*kisses* HH

Jen said...

The top photograph is hilarious! I can't resist purple sweet potatoes too ;)

Hope you eat up a storm in Malaysia!