Holidays are made of these.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Finally, some holiday pics as promised. As you know, we went off to Malaysia for my brother’s wedding, but we also managed to slip in a very quick trip up to Phuket, Thailand while we were there.

We are so glad we did because we had an absolute ball. Here’s what we enjoyed most:


Sunsets: every holiday needs a good sunset or two. Wish I could take a lot of credit for this pic, but my camera has a “sunset” setting built in.



Resort-time: Need I say more?







Beauty spots: I love Thailand, there are just so many stunningly beautiful sights to take in.


 Yum, it's the pancake man! Must be afternoon tea-time.

Food: And of course, being a food-blog, I cannot leave you without a quick recap of some of our meals.



We don’t usually do resorts, but we saved a lot on our flight tickets, plus with kids in tow, we decided to do things the easy way and stayed at the Holiday Inn. It was fantastic, right down to the buffet breakfasts. We were pleasantly surprised at the breads, they really tasted home-made, or should that be hotel-made? Mr. Kitchen Hand, who is a bit of a bread snob, gave it the thumbs up.



Out for a quick cheap and cheerful meal one night, we got to talking with the couple at the next table who very adventurously bought a bag of snacks from a street-vendor. When they offered me a taste, how could I possibly refuse? I went for the safest looking thing, the grub on the right (with arrow). It tasted kind of meaty yet mealy and a little sweet, a bit like a prawn crossed with a chestnut. Not sure if I could eat a whole bag of the things though!



Here’s a restaurant we stumbled upon while out looking for another one. Before we left on holiday, I asked fellow blogger 3 Hungry Tummies for a recommendation on where to eat in Phuket. He suggested Siam Indigo in Phuket Old Town. So off we went but halfway there, I realised that I hadn’t brought the address along with me, duh! (And with a lack of wi-fi in the hills, we couldn’t check it out online). So we drove around a bit, and if you’ve ever watched The Amazing Race, you’ll know that if one half of the couple navigates while the other half drives, things can get uh..a little tense. Especially when the navigator (yes, that would be me), doesn’t actually know where the restaurant is. Throw in one hungry child, and one “starting-to-get-carsick child” and things get even more fraught.

Luckily, my food-radar was working, and I spied a likely food stop called Uptown Restaurant. It’s a good sign when you walk in and the place is filled with locals. Another good sign is if the toilets are squeaky clean. We relaxed and pointed out the dishes we wanted from the extensive picture menu (very tourist friendly).

The dishes arrived, and they were good.



Mr. Kitchen Hand had an omelette with rice – the omelette is filled with a tasty mix of diced chicken and vegetables in a tomato-ey sauce.



I ordered the “Shrimp-paste rice”, which was deliciously spicy and served with lots of interesting sides (sorry, I can’t remember the Thai names for these dishes). The sweet pork sausage was amazing (tasted like a spicier version of the Chinese lup-cheong) and there was another side of sweet, stewed pork.



We shared a side of “Som tum poo (that’s how it was spelt on the menu!)”, which is the famous Papaya Salad, with salted crab. I think the salted crab must really be an acquired taste because it was a bit too strong for me, but the salad itself was wonderful.



The MC’s shared a plate of stewed pork and green vegetables but I forgot to photograph it properly before I sectioned-off MC Junior’s share. They polished it off.

Ahhh, the family that eats together, stays together!

Uptown Restaurant is located at 51 Chana Charoen Talat Yai, Mueang Phuket, Phuket 83000, Thailand (opposite the Thavorn Grand Plaza Hote)l. Wander across the road and there are indoor, air-conditioned markets to indulge in a spot of shopping.

Hopefully next time we’ll get to the other place!

Have a great weekend.

Oh, and one last pic before we go :

17 comments:

vanille said...

Look at those girls in the pool with their cocktails !...Shaz, I'm jealous of your exotic holidays !
I'm not sure I would try these street vendor snack though...
And what a splendid temple !

Barbara said...

I love those water lilies, Shaz!
And the food look marvelous, with the exception of the grubs...I'll pass on those, thanks!

Barbara Bakes said...

How wonderful. Looks like a holiday I would love too.

3 hungry tummies said...

Oh glad you are having so much fun! Very proud of you to have tried the fried insects! :)
The dish you had is called khao klub gapi, if you want to try making that I have the recipe http://3hungrytummies.blogspot.com/2009/10/khao-klub-gapi-rice-with-shrimp-paste.html
as mr. skewer's dish is khai yat sai and incase you want to cook that at home too it is here :) http://3hungrytummies.blogspot.com/2010/01/khai-yat-sai-thai-stuffed-omelet.html
I am looking forward to more holiday pics!

pierre said...

shaz !! these photos are just a dream for me !! Pierre

shaz said...

cheers Vanille, the girls had such a great time as you can probably tell.

Barbara - I loved the flowers, especially the waterlilies and lotuses, and they seemed to grow everywhere.

Barbara Bakes - there was definitely much to love about it.

3 hungry tummies- thank you, thank you! I had hoped you'd be able to help :) I really do want to try and recreate my dish at home, so thank you for coming to the rescue.


pierre- ah but, you live in a city I dream that I could visit :)

grace said...

helloo! i love the goggles and the grub (but not the grubs). thanks for sharing, shaz!

Hungry Dog said...

Looks like a great trip! So glad you had a good time and got so many fab photos. Can't get excited about the grubs but I'm totally impressed you went for it!

Lori said...

LOVE the picture of the two girls with their tall beverages. So cute!

Bravo to your bravery for eating a bug.

Marcellina said...

Love the pics! The one of your girls made me smile. So cute! The pack of snacks bothered me though. You have very brave to try the grub!!!!

shaz said...

Hellooo grace :) Thanks for visiting.

Hungry Dog - thank you, I definitely ummed and ahhed for a while before deciding to eat one.

Thanks Lori - the little one looks so cheeky with the goggles on doesn't she?

Hi Marcellina - yes the snacks are pretty confronting aren't they.

JT @ areyouhungary said...

I'm glad you did the resort thing - who doesn't love a little pampering every now and then. Plus, crunchy bugs! Well done, especially on getting the little ones to taste!

Von said...

Wow! A sunset setting?? I want one too! Looks like you had a wonderful holiday- I've never been to Thailand, but I really want to go someday in the future.....

The food all looks really yummy! I want to try the grubs!

shaz said...

Jt_ we certainly felt very relaxed after the resort. The kids din't try the bugs although MC Senior thought about it but chickened out at the last minute.


Von - I'm not kidding, although I think technically it would be called "sunset mode", I love my little G10. You are the first brave soul who has actually expressed a desire to taste the bugs

Elaine said...

How wonderful! I'd love to try any of these!

shaz said...

Thanks for stopping by Elaine, nice to meet you and your blog.

Kitchen Butterfly said...

It is your camera. Your sunset setting. It is amazingly beautiful. And I'm so going to use my sunset setting as soon as your camera's twin is back in my possession!!!!!!!!!!