Orange, you glad?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Knock-knock
Who’s there?
Banana
Banana who?
Knock-knock
Who’s there?
Banana
Banana who?
Knock-knock
Who’s there?
Banana
BANANA WHO!?
Knock-knock
Who’s there?
Orange
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn’t say banana?



Candied orange and lemon zest - blanch zest from 1 orange and 1 lemon in boiling water, drain and pat dry. 
Simmer zest in a sugar syrup (1 part water, 1 part sugar) for about10 minutes until zest is translucent. 
Dry on a tray lined wiht baking paper. I kept cooking the leftover syrup until it turned into caramel and poured that onto a sheet of baking paper to set. Broken into shards, it made a lovely finish on top of the cake.

The school holidays are upon us. Can you tell?

The days are filled with a little bit of silliness, a little bit of fun, and a whole lot of  “doing-as-we-pleases”.  Sleeping in, going to the movies on a whim, and eating cake for breakfast.

Actually, I made that last bit up. Well, actually only one person in the household ever really eats any cake for breakfast (and yes, that would be me).




But look at this cake, how could I not be tempted? There’s zesty lemon poppyseed pound cake, there’s gooey, tangy orange curd, candied citrus zest, orange toffee shards and icing.

This lovely citrus-sy cake didn’t’ quite pass muster with the mini-critics though. MC Senior found it too sweet (I don’t know where she gets this from), and MC Junior didn’t like the orange rind on it.

Never mind, that just left lots more for Mr. Kitchen Hand and I. He ate it at sensible times – afternoon tea, dessert, that sort of thing.

Me? I’m on holidays!  Bring on the cake.



The cake is Rose Beranbaum’s lemon poppy seed pound cake, and you can actually watch a clip of her making this cake here.

Orange curd
If you’ve been here a few times, you’ll notice I use curd a fair bit, because it’s my favourite way of using up egg yolks. I love this technique by Stephanie Alexander- it takes about 5 minutes to cook (yes, you read that right) and can be done directly on the stove. It’s also very versatile, I’ve made lemon, lime, pomegranate, blood orange, mandarin and passionfruit curd using this basic recipe.

4 egg yolks
2/3 cup castor sugar
60g unsalted butter (sometimes I don’t even bother weighing the butter, I just guess)
100ml orange/lemon juice mix (the original recipe calls for 100ml lemon juice. I used the juice of 1 large orange, reduced down over low heat to yield about ¾ cup, and added the juice of half a lemon to get 1 cup total).
2 teaspoons grated orange rind (I omitted this)


Whisk egg yolks and sugar until well combined (not frothy). In a heavy based (non-reactive) saucepan, place the egg yolk mixture, butter, juice and zest (if using). Over a medium high heat, stir constantly until the mixture reaches simmering point (about 5 minutes). As soon as bubbles appear, remove from heat but keep stirring. Let cool, then transfer to sterilised glass jars.

This is a pretty robust curd, I’ve yet to accidentally scramble it, and sometimes, if I pull it off the heat to early, I’ve managed to recook it with no ill-effects.



For the icing, I used a simple butter icing (about 130g butter and about 3 cups icing sugar), and added about 1-2 tablespoons of orange curd to it.


If you're on holidays, hope there's cake involved :)

14 comments:

Jennifurla said...

Lovely lovely

3 hungry tummies said...

We need a little silliness indeed! One day I will be baking like you..just maybe :)

Anh said...

Lovely! I really need to make some curd! Got some passionfruits and lemons to use up...

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

What pretty presentation Shaz! And isn't it funny the jokes that we used to absolutely keel over laughing at when we were little! That would have totally cracked me up :P

Juliana said...

Oh! Orange curd..so summery...lovely with the cake...the pictures are awesome!

grace said...

your cake has all kinds of orange going on! i tend to shy away from citrus-y desserts (and make a beeline for chocolate or caramel or other, more sinful things), but this is mighty tempting!

shaz said...

Thanks Jennifurla!

Tummies, I'm sure when you start baking, you'll be stellar at it. I mean seriously, you made roti canai from scratch!!

Anh - yum I think my favourite curd is passionfruit.

Lorraine - thank you. This happens to be MC Senior's favourite joke, and we get subjected to it quite often.

Juliana - thank you, I needed a dose of sunshine. It's been SO cold and wet here.

grace - I'm usually a chocolate gal too, but every so often I really crave citrus. Just pretend it's vitamin C in cake form :)

MaryMoh said...

Wow...so easy way to make orange curd. I would love to try, Thanks very much for sharing. The cake looks very delicious too....mmm

Ladybird said...

Hi Shaz, I just came across your blog (love the name!)

Thanks for sharing your recipes and tips, especially for candied zest and this easy curd recipe. Recipes like this are great for using up egg-yolks! Thanks :D It looks great

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

I LOVE the candied orange and lemon zest tip. I can't wait to make my own :)

shaz said...

MaryMoh - it really is easy to make, and veyr easy to eat ha ha.

Ladybird - nice to meet you Anna :) Folks, head over to her blog, there's a giveaway involved (valid for NSW residents).

Lawyer Loves Lunch - thank you. I'm sure you'll mkae some amazing looking rind judging by the cakepops you just made :)

Barbara said...

Rose Beranbaum is the queen of cakes, Shaz! And this one looks absolutely divine! I'd eat cake for breakfast too if this was in my kitchen.
(I really do adore your candied zest.)

Hungry Dog said...

Well now, this looks lovely. Cake for breakfast, I knew we had lots in common!

shaz said...

I'm hoping to get her latest book soon Barbara, I'm definitely a fan :)

Definitely Hungry Dog - great minds eh?