A year with the Daring Bakers - cool!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Hello Daring Bakers!

I really put this month’s challenge off until the last minute and almost didn’t bother. Then I realised that this post would mark my one-year anniversary as part of the group! How could I let that pass?

So, even though I’m not a great ice-cream eater, and even though it was so cold I contemplated making a warm custard filling instead, I’m glad I went ahead and made this month’s Swiss swirl ice-cream cake.



The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food.  Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.

We needed to make Swiss rolls, a filling for them, two ice creams and a fudge sauce, from scratch. However, Sunita gave us a lot of leeway with the recipe, allowing us to vary the flavours of each component.

We were also required to set the dessert in a bowl or utensil of our choice in the order given in the recipe-Swiss roll, first ice-cream, the fudge topping and, finally, the second ice cream.

I made the Swiss roll from the challenge recipe, with two changes. I omitted the hot water (unintentionally, bad recipe reading skills) and rolled the cakes in baking paper instead of a tea towel (intentionally, to save from washing extra tea towels).

While I’ve made Swiss rolls before, I definitely need more practise because I managed to produce one or two cracks. Luckily, they cracked on the inside and looked okay once completely rolled up.



I’d run out of cream by the time I was ready to make the Swiss roll filling, and it was close to midnight, so I made a simple vanilla buttercream instead (the eggless kind, very similar to this icing). It turned out to be less than ideal, I’d refrigerated the Swiss rolls to make cutting easier but the buttercream set hard, which meant I had to use more pressure and ended up tearing and squishing the cake quite a bit. Oops. Next time, I’ll buy more cream.

As for ice cream, I turned to Mr. Lebovitz for help. I made a caramel ice cream (minus the salt), where I learnt to take my sugar to the dark side. Although I think I took it too far and ended up with a slightly bitter confection.

The other flavour was an eggless peanut butter ice-cream which I found here (the recipe is from David Lebovitz too). So far, I’ve made three successful ice creams based on his recipes, so it looks like The Perfect Scoop is going to find a space on my bookshelf very soon. I think I may even be getting a little bit more excited about ice cream now!

Caramel ice cream (left) and Peanut butter ice cream (right)

And because I’m a bit of a peanut butter fiend, I swooned a little when I found this Nigella recipe. Spoon  rating = 5 licks!

Finally, I had all the components ready, so I made a Swiss roll ice-cream sandwich cake in this order: Swiss roll, caramel ice-cream, peanut butter chocolate fudge sauce, peanut butter ice-cream, then topped with another layer of the Swiss roll.

And I cannot think of a better way to mark a fantastic year with my fellow Daring Bakers ☺

Thank you Lis and Ivonne for creating such a fun “family”. Thank you to the Daring Bakers for your friendship and support. Hip, hip hooray (x3) to the lot of you!

Cake for all my friends

27 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

Congratulations! Hats off to the very complicated cake ;)

Anh said...

Congrats! And isn't it the yummiest treat?

Poires au Chocolat said...

Happy DB Anniversary! This looks so so tasty. I like the way you've done it as a sandwich, too.

Also, do buy The Perfect Scoop - it's the most amazing book.

anchan said...

Yuuum, what a fab combination of flavours! Drool... xxx

shelley c. said...

Happy Daring-Baker-Birthday! What a great challenge to have as your celebratory one, too. I made caramel ice cream, as well, but I must say - the peanut butter ice cream and peanut butter fudge combination you used sounds like a candy bar and has my stomach grumbling already!! Great job with the challenge!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Congrats! That cake looks lovely. I really like it's shape.

cheers,

Rosa

Jenny said...

Happy DB birthday! Thanks for visiting my site - looking forward to checking out your monthly challenge results too!

LittleRed said...

What perfect flavours...and I love your presentation. Very nice looking in that shape. Just a perfect challenge!

The Betz Family said...

That looks great! I love your ice cream sandwich idea! I also used The Perfect Scoop for my recipes and look forward to trying out others from the book. Nice job on the challenge!

Ruth H. said...

That flavor combination sounds amazing! My husband loves all things chocolate and peanut butter, I think I am in trouble if her sees this one! I like your idea of making this a "sandwich" cake. Very well done, and happy anniversary!!

cikmanggis said...

Tahniah.kek yang sangat comel:)....

Cheah said...

Congrats! That cake looks so delicious and nice presentation too!

MaryMoh said...

Wow....that looks fabulous....so indulgently good! I would eat a big slice...mmm

Deeba PAB said...

Happy blog birthday to a wonderful you Shaz... well done indeed! I learnt about not having cream at home the hard way too not so long ago. Love your ice cream flavours and I think I need perfect scoop now too!!
HUGS!!

s said...

Congrats..and this is quite a beauty!

Mrs. Fine said...

Peanut Butter Fudge Sauce sounds wonderful!!! I wish I had more courage in the kitchen. I stuck to the recipe as is, so I admire your courage. Perhaps my next challenge will see me venture off a bit. Great photos, too!

Lisa said...

Happy first DB anniversary, shaz! Love how you celebrated with a swiss roll B-day cake..and omg..you just slayed me with peanut butter ice cream Why didn't I think of that?? Now I'll be craving it all day LOL Beautifully done all around!

shaz said...

Thank you for your kind wishes everyone :)

Jane Ko said...

Happy one year!
I’m having a giveaway at my food blog, check it out here http://atasteofkoko.blogspot.com/2010/07/ximending-giveaway.html

grace said...

i can't think of a better combination of flavors either, and that's the truth! bravo, shaz, and well done. :)

Vanille said...

A very elaborate dessert to celebrate this year with the DB !

Aparna said...

Happy first birthday with the DBs, Shaz. Your cake is indeed befitting of a celebration.

Trissa said...

Well, what can I say - what a great way to celebrate your one year of being a Daring Baker - so many new recipes we've tried throughout the year - and can't wait to see what year two brings!

Hungry Dog said...

Happy anniversary! :) That cake is to die for. I had to look at your photos multiple times and then wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Barbara said...

What a fun anniversary Shaz! And I love following what you are all doing.
You've done a super job with this involved recipe...and I bet it tastes marvelous!

Marcellina said...

Happy Anniversary, Shaz! Yes, what a great family we are part of! The cake is fantastic! I love the flavour combinations! I would never have thought of Peanut Butter icecream ( even though I love the stuff!).

sarah @ syrupandhoney said...

Happy anniversary! Not a great ice cream eater? That's a unique trait :) Looks delicious - I especially love that first photo.