Chocolate for breakfast

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

 You’ve probably heard me mention this a few times – I’m not a morning person, and I find it hard to feel motivated about breakfast. Usually, my slave the wonderful Mr. Kitchen Hand fixes the MC’s their brekkie, and if I’m really lucky, he makes me a cup of tea and a slice of toast as well
But when I woke up on Saturday, he’d already whisked the MC’s away to their swimming lessons, so no toast or tea for me. What I did have to look forward to was a morning full of mundane cleaning chores. Which is when I hit upon the brilliant idea of making my breakfast a pre-reward for the chores I was about to do.

A truly inspiring breakfast based on the chocolate, olive oil and sea salt toasts which appeared in the June 2010 issue of my favourite Delicious Magazine.






Grab a couple of slices of sourdough bread, butter lightly, sandwich some dark chocolate in the middle, heat some olive oil in a pan and cook on one side. Remove from pan, wipe pan down with kitchen paper, repeat other side. Sprinkle with sea salt and tuck in. Oooh baby.






If you want to read the “proper” way of making these toasts, visit Ellie from Almost Bourdain, she takes you through the steps here.


And guess what, if you make more than one, simply wrap in aluminium foil and store in the fridge, then pop into a low oven to warm up – instant breakfast the next day. Very brilliant!

 MC Junior named the bread "Chocolate Yum"



For the record, the chores got done ☺

(Edit : Yay, Blogger seems to have fixed my photo issue now, thank you!)

16 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

I love nutella on toasts so this is just perfect! :)

Jennifurla said...

OH OH OH, want want want

Garcon de Croissant said...

I can't wait to try this recipe. Chocolate and sea salt is such a winning combination!

Kristy Sayer said...

Ooh yum!

Ooh and by the way,
I received the Waterthins biscuits in the mail :)
Maybe they can be my chocolate breakfast :P

sarah @ syrupandhoney said...

Wow, this sounds seriously amazing! Breakfast of champions :)

Marcellina said...

Perfect breakfast - chocolate and toast! YUM!

Vanille said...

Oh, look at this cute little face with chocolate every where ! Makes me smile...

grace said...

how could one possibly have a bad day if it began with a chocolate sandwich? :)

chocolatesuze said...

that sounds like a perfect breakfast!

Hungry Dog said...

I love it! Chocolate and sea salt is brilliant!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Ooooo chocolate for breakfast. I love chocolate for breakfast. How can something so simple taste so amazing anyway?

Marty said...

I would get out of bed just to eat that! See you on Daring Bakers!

shaz said...

Thank you everyone :) I think this may be my new favourite breakfast!

maameemoomoo said...

Ooh la la! I'm sure it'd be my new fav breakfast too ;)

Seen it on Almost Bourdain and it's been on my to-do-list for months!

Betty said...

oh yummyyyyy that looks sooo good

Emma @CakeMistress said...

ha ha ha, I do this too! It's great slathered with a little peanut butter ;)