Experimental faux chocolate tarts

Thursday, August 5, 2010



What looks like chocolate and sort of tastes like chocolate (if you wish hard enough), but is definitely not chocolate?

A chocolate pudding fruit of course.




I saw some at the markets the other day and couldn’t resist getting them. The fruit starts off green and firm, but can only be eaten once it’s gone squishy and discoloured. Although it’s called the Chocolate Pudding Fruit, it is actually related to the persimmon, and tastes quite similar. We ate one of the fruits fresh, which the MCs enjoyed, but we noticed a slight bitter aftertaste. Not sure if we had let it ripen enough?



Then I wondered whether I could bake them into something. Hence the faux chocolate tarts. I used some leftover shortcrust pastry to make cases, and blind baked these. I made up a filling using  ½ cup of mashed chocolate pudding fruit (one fruit – skinned, seeds removed), 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1/3 cup condensed milk and 1 egg, all beaten together until combined but not frothy. The mixture looked quite an unappealing grey-brown at this stage, but once baked, the top became dark and chocolatey.

Some of the filling went into little tart cases (baked in a mini muffin pan), and the rest into two larger tart cases and one ramekin. I think I overbaked the little ones because the filling peaked and cracked (still tasted fine though). Either that or the heat was too strong. The larger tarts, baked for slightly less time, looked much better, and had a more pudding-like texture.

(Please don’t inspect the pastry too closely, I’d quickly made it up one night for dinner and I think I overworked it, so it wasn’t as short as I would have liked).


Did the end results taste like chocolate? Well, if you don’t tell anyone what’s in the tarts, they’ll probably trick themselves into believing that it tastes a bit like chocolate. Or maybe that’s just the MCs.

I thought the filling tasted a little like caramel and pecan pie filling (without the pecans). Couldn’t quite taste the persimmon-y flavour, and I wonder if the fruit is just too delicate to be baked?

Although the experiment worked, and the resulting tarts tasted quite good, I don’t think I would bother repeating this because novelty value aside, the tarts didn’t showcase the fruit at all. And I much prefer eating real chocolate.



Wonder what else I can use chocolate pudding fruit for. Any suggestions?


Grow your own chocolate (fruit)


Have a great weekend :)

20 comments:

cikmanggis said...

Hai Shaz..sejenis buah yang unik ya.Makcik tak pernah jumpa di Malaysia.

chocolatesuze said...

ooh ive never heard of that fruit before! maybe try making cocktails?

Anh said...

Oh. this is new to me! Chocolate pudding fruit... uhm

3 hungry tummies said...

I am very curious about this fruit! Good work with such experiment Shaz!

Vanille said...

A total discovery for me. It makes me curious to try if it tastes similar to chocolate -because I can't have it!...

MaryMoh said...

What an interesting fruit! New to me. Your tart looks good :D

grace said...

what a unique and interesting find! i love how you chose to test it out. it sort of reminds me of the whole ritz-apple pie phenomenon. thanks for the eye-opener! :)

shaz said...

cikmanggis - ye buah ni unik kan, makcik? Saya pun jarang jumpa buah ni, setahun sekali saya dapat kat pasar (macam pasar tani). Rasanya macam pisang kaki.

chocolatesuze - aha, just add alcohol. I like :)

Anh - I've only seen it abotu three times myself (first time in Queensland)

3 hungry tummies - thank you! Hope you get a chance to try it.

Vanille - some people say it tastes like chocolate pudding, but to me it really tastes like persimmon. I guess it's what you're expecting to taste, and everyone tastes differently anyway. Sorry to hear about the chocolate!

MaryMoh - Thank you :)

grace - your comment about ritz-apple pie was an eye-openener for me! I had to google it and now I'm very intrigued. Might just make it one day just to see if it really tastes like apple-pie.

Kitty said...

Hi Shaz, thanks for dropping by my blog. Still new to blogging so I have a bit more to do to it to make it "me".

Wow chocolate fruit, who knew such a fruit existed! Great find!

Hungry Dog said...

This is so interesting. I can honestly say I have never heard of this fruit. What a fantastic name! Doesn't sound like a substitute for chocolate (and why would you really need one) but if I came across these I would have to try and do something with them!

have a great weekend!

Esi said...

What a weird, interesting fruit! I've never even heard of it before.

shaz said...

Kitty - thank you :)

Hungry Dog - cheers, hope you're enjoying your weekend too!

Esi - it does look strange doesn't it.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Haha how clever Shaz! I was so intrigued after reading the title I knew it would be a goodie. Hmm I wonder what else? Chocolate mousse or pudding?

Heavenly Housewife said...

HOw fascinating, I've never seen that before.
When I was a little girl, in school they would give us faux chocolate fruits called carobs. They smelled like chocolate, but taste wise, i just knew there was something "off" about them. You can't get one over on this housewife daaahling.
Hope you are having a fantastic weekend.
*kisses* HH

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Wow, never heard of choc pudding fruit. What about chopped up and liberally strewn over ice cream with a touch of chocolate syrup, or a sorbet or granita - all that's required is some sugar syrup. I can't quite imagine the taste but I guess some flavouring like vanilla or almond might be the kick it requires. Enjoy your weekend

Marcellina said...

I've always been meaning to plant a chocolate pudding fruit tree but never got around to it. Your experiment looks great! Maybe fresh as in mousse might be better. I think your on the right track with the sweetened condensed milk.

Y said...

Oh that first picture had me fooled! I had chocolate pudding fruit once and was bitterly disappointed that it tasted nothing like pudding or chocolate ;P

shaz said...

Lorraine - thank you :) Hmm, mousse sounds good.

Heavenly Housewife - I was given a carob coated biscuit once. An UNSWEETENED carob biscuit...gah, the memories...

Kitchen Butterfly - ooh, sorbet or granita would work I think.

Marcellina - imagine having your own chocolate pudding fruit tree. Actually the first time I tasted this fruit was at a farm up in Queensland :)

Y - it is rather disappointing :)

dessert girl said...

Chocolate pudding fruit? So cool! Hopefully, you didn't confuse it with "the Coco Fruit, a toxic relative that can cause insanity" (wikipedia). That would not be cool. :-)

shaz said...

dessert girl - ah yes, that would be unfortunate!