Malaysian Monday 48 (Merdeka Edition) : Kuih Sago (Tapioca pearl kuih) + Muhibbah Monday Round-up #2

Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy Monday everyone. A bit of a late post because I’ve had MC Senior home sick from school today. She’s all better now, although she’s been quite grumpy because I’ve only allowed her the blandest food all day (delicate stomach). Who’s a budding foodie then? 

Luckily, this kuih without the coconut coating, proved mild enough for her and she thoroughly enjoyed the little treat. In fact, MC Junior and I enjoyed it too, we ate it all in one go! Admittedly, I only made the smallest of servings, but this kuih is so easy to whip up, I’m sure I’ll be making more soon.



And because tomorrow is Merdeka Day (Malaysian Independence Day), I had a bit of fun adding food colouring to the tapioca pearls. I’m definitely not the most patriotic person around, but the date is one I cannot forget, having had it drilled into my brain through years of school. Plus, you know I welcome any excuse to play with my food.

Not forgetting, the Muhibbah Malaysian Round-up #2 has been hosted by my friend Suresh at 3 Hungry Tummies. Please check it out here to view lots of mouthwatering treats.



Have a great start to the week!

Kuih Sago


I couldn’t find a “proper” recipe, but based on the method described here, at a Malay language blog called Yatie Cooking, I made it up as I went along. Here’s how I did it.

You will need a steamer, and a suitable mould. I used a square ramekin, lightly oiled with sunflower oil. To steam, I place a trivet in a wok and fill with water to the required height, then cover with the wok lid.

Start with about ½ a cup of tapioca pearls.



Soak with enough water to cover the pearls by about an inch,  for about 15 minutes (the original method recommends a couple of hours but I was in a rush), then place in a sieve and rinse under running water until clear. This gets rid of excess starch. Make sure it’s very well drained, worth leaving it to drain for a little while. My tapioca pearls were a bit too wet and ended up merged together rather than looking like separate pearls. I think the soaking time also had a part in this, but the end result still tasted pretty good.

Add about 3 slightly heaped tablespoons of pure icing sugar (doesn’t contain cornstarch) to the drained tapioca pearls and stir to mix. I used a 15ml tablespoon.

Add a few drops of food colouring if desired.



Place the pearls in the prepared mould. Make sure water in the steamer has reached a rolling boil.

 The colours bled into one another and the white became transparent

Steam until the tapioca is cooked and translucent. Let it cool then cut into squares and roll in dessicated coconut. The Malaysian version uses fresh grated coconut with a pinch of salt added, but I couldn’t find fresh coconut and found the dry coconut an adequate substitute.

 Just add coconut :)

Enjoy.

14 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

Great work with the Malaysian flag Shaz. I just bought some sago today and I might just do a gula Melaka version :)

grace said...

how festive! and bravo--what a clever gal you are, adding coconut to cover up the bleeeeeed. :)

Anh said...

So cute! :)

Juliana said...

Shaz...what a cute dessert...and I love everything with tapioca...so yummie!

Marcellina said...

Wow! I love learning about foods of other cultures! I have never heard of this but seems so simple and delicious!

Barbara said...

This is new to me, Shaz. Loved reading about it too. Fun to do it in flag form....

shaz said...

3 hungry tummies - thanks :) I like the gula melaka one too.

grace - coconut works on almost anything ;P

Anh - thank you. And right back at you, your mooncakes are so adorable.

Juliana - mmm, same here, I love tapioca.

Marcellina- it's really simple but the texture is quite different - very chewy and a little sticky.

Barbara - thank you, I had fun :)

chocolatesuze said...

squee i love your flag! brilliant!

Swee San said...

how clever!

LittleRed said...

Hello Sharon,

I just wanted to let you know that you won the bento giveaway from my blog. If you could please send me your mailing address, I can get this out in the mail for you. I will let you know when it is mailed.....mail usually takes about one week from here. Thanks for stopping by and I have been enjoying your blog.....especially the Malaysian Mondays.

Heavenly Housewife said...

Vibrant, pretty and super exotic :D This is something I'd never come across on my own.
*kisses* HH

shaz said...

chocolatesuze - thank you :)

Swee San - cheers!

LittleRed - oh how exciting, hooray, thank you.

Heavenly Housewife - it's a tad electric blue isn't it?

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Very cute! Happy (belated) Merdeka Day.

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Now that is brilliant! Love it! It's so colourful and neat :)