Whoopie dee doo dah

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

La, la, la, la….

Yup, feeling kind of  la-la lately – distracted but in a good way. We’ve had two sets of lovely visitors swing by our way, which meant our usually lazy weekends of pottering around at home were swapped for more entertaining options.

Add some unseasonably warm weather to the mix, and glorious blossoms popping up all around the neighbourhood, it’s no wonder I feel all dreamy. (And if I've missed returning your comments etc, sorry!)

oooh, purdy!

Needless to say, I haven’t spent much time baking at all, and luckily I made these whoopie pies the day before my aunty arrived. Well, I made the outside bits before she arrived, but didn’t get a chance to fill them until a day later. And of course no one was allowed to eat any until I’d photographed them!

 more purdy!

I’d seen/ heard/ read so much about these pies, but had never experienced the real thing before, so I’m not sure if these tasted like they were supposed to.  The recipe I used can be found here, it’s from the NY Times – with a few minor adjustments.

1)    I converted all cup / stick/ imperial measurements to metric (using various online conversion tools/references).
2)    I upped the cocoa powder content from ½ cup to 2/3 cup after reading some comments recommending to do so. (cups then converted to grammes of course)
3)    Accidentally used ¼ teaspoon of baking powder before I realised what I was doing, and then added the 1 tsp baking soda.

Not sure if the tops are meant to crack like that, but the cakes themselves tasted pretty chocolatey and the texture was very fluffy – I was actually expecting them to be denser.



By the way, some recipes I’d read called for Dutch cocoa, and after much scouring of the shelves in a limited supply area, I settled on a box of Van Houten cocoa. Nothing on the box indicated if the cocoa was Dutch processed, but I figured, hey, it’s a Dutch company…right?

As for the filling, due to a lack of time, and a surplus of unwanted marshmallows in the cupboard, I opted for using a melted marshmallow filling (found here) instead of the one given in the NY Times recipe.

Now, there is a reason these marshmallows are leftovers – I only ever buy them for the campfire, half the time the mallows get burnt, or fall off the stick, no one really eats them for the taste! (Actually, I have been told in no uncertain terms by an American friend, that Aussie marshmallows suck. I couldn’t find a suitable rebuttal.)

So, where am I going with this longwinded marshmallow diatribe? Well, if they don’t really taste all that great “raw”, then melting them didn’t really make all that much of a difference either. Next time, I’m going to make the proper filling given in the recipe.

 These were filled with leftover raspberry buttercream foudn in the freezer. Yum!

Now I’d better head off and get started on my Daring Baker’s challenge for this month. Something tells me I’m going to be late with this one, la la la la la.

14 comments:

cikmanggis said...

hai my dear shaz..apa khabar?wah gembira ya :)ada tetamu dari Malaysia ke?

Joudie's Mood Food said...

OOOOOOOOOOOHHH These look so cute and colourful!

Vanille said...

That's the magic of a new season that brings so much energy and good mood ! I'm on the lookout for any sign of Spring too. And I've discovered recently my purple basil blooming...

3 hungry tummies said...

Haha great minds think alike :) I have been enjoying the warmer weather and blooms too, also put in a photo of magnolia blooms in my new post lol
I would love a few of these with my cup of tea in the sun right now!

MaryMoh said...

Beautiful pictures of flowers...always brings cheers. Love your pies.....drooling :D

Barbara said...

Those are lovely flowers, Shaz! But your Whoopie Pies are making me hungry!

shaz said...

cikmanggis - ya makcik. Tetamu spesel - aunty saya!

Joudie's Mood Food - Thank You :)

Vanille - I love Spring, cannot wait for Summer!

3 hungry tummies - yes, definitely great minds :)

MaryMoh - thank you

Barbara - glad to hear it :)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

So cute and I imagine so tasty! No one's allowed to eat my goods until I get in a good shot or 2 either 8).

grace said...

i do love the name of these beauts, and that raspberry buttercream is the perfect filling!

Hungry Dog said...

Whoopie pies are everywhere...except in my hands! Yours look so cute. I saved that article in the NYT too, I've been meaning to make them ever since I saw it!

shaz said...

xiaolu - in my case it's a shot or 10! (still not confident about photos) :)

Grace - they are so cutely named aren't they?

Hungry Dog - thank you! I quite liked them actually, would like to try the pumpkin version.

Marcellina said...

So Woopie Pies? Are they like a biscuit or more like a cake? They look great - I must try this recipe!

dessert girl said...

I love, love, love the pumpkin whoopie pie recipe from Baked. It is one of my all-time favorite recipes. I've never had a chocolate one, but these do look yummy!

shaz said...

MArcellina - I found them more cakey than biscuity actually.

dessert girl - I really have to get baked, it sounds like my kind of book :)