A tale of two crumpets and a quick break.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hello little crumpet.

Crumpet, crumpet, crumpet…it’s such a funny little word isn’t it? Although, be very careful never to mistakenly say “strumpet” instead. o.O

So, what exactly is a crumpet? Over here in Ozland, a crumpet is a circular, mini pancake–like thingy with lots of holes (see how technical I got?).  It’s usually split in half, then toasted and buttered and served for breakfast or a snack.

I’ve only ever tried store-bought crumpets once or twice – after much pleading by the mini-critics. Not sure about you, but I am loathe to spend money on things like pre-packaged pikelets, crumpets, biscuits etc, because I know I can make tastier versions at home. And these goodies will have none of the preservatives and additives of their storebought counterparts.

Anyway, long story short, I’d wanted to make crumpets for a long time but hadn’t done so because I thought I needed special rings to shape the batter. However, when flicking through the September issue of the ABC Delicious magazine, I found a recipe for crumpets, which used ordinary egg-rings. Joy! (yes, easily amused).

First, I tried a recipe by Bill Granger that I’d been eyeing for the longest time. They turned out looking very good and but somehow I thought the texture wasn’t quite right. They were very fluffy, and I thought crumpets were supposed to be a little chewy. But who am I to say, here I am comparing Sydney’s “breakfast king” crumpets with supermarket crumpets. Don’t get me wrong, they actually tasted fine and we ate them all up, it was just a textural thing for me.


The fluffy ones

Next I tried the recipe in the Delicious magazine, and this time the texture was spot-on. The two recipes were quite similar ingredient-wise, but in Bill’s recipe, there is an added step of adding water and baking soda to the crumpet batter after proving, and I think this is why it becomes fluffy.

The chewy ones

But it really depends on your taste preferences. I liked the chewy ones while the MC’s much preferred the fluffy ones.

I could give you both recipes and let you decide for yourself, but I won’t, because:
a) I’m too lazy to type them both out (at least I’m honest!)
b) I’m in a bit of a rush as we are heading off for a very short holiday break tomorrow.

So goodbye my friends, I’ll come by and visit your blogs when I return, and I may not get a chance to get to your comments while we’re away.

Have  a wonderful weekend! And do stop by on the 27th to check out the  Daring Bakers challenge reveal☺ Actually, better make that the 28th….


Crumpets (adapted from a recipe by Dead Man Espresso café, published in September 2010 issue of Delicious magazine)

450g plain flour
7g sachet active dry yeast
300 ml milk
250 ml hot water
Melted butter (unsalted) for greasing

Combine the flour and yeast in a large bowl. Mix the milk and hot water together. I used milk straight from the fridge and water straight from the kettle which resulted in a lovely warm mix. Make sure it’s not too hot or it can kill the yeast. I made this milk-water mix in a large heat proof jug so that it was easy to pour.

Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in  the milk mixture, while mixing all the time. Mix until well combined.  I used a fork, but in the other crumpet recipe, Bill recommends using beaters (which I did). The fork takes a lot more elbow grease, but both ways worked well.

Cover the batter and leave in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in size. I covered with plastic wrap, but the recipe recommends using a damp cloth.

Heat a frying pan (preferably non-stick) over medium heat, then grease the egg rings. Place the egg rings in the pan to heat gently, then very carefully, without deflating the batter, pop about 2 tablespoons in each egg-ring. Fry very gently until the top is set (about 6-7 minutes), then turn over and cook the other side. Make sure the top is set or it will get very messy, and try to keep the egg rings on when turning, it helps the crumpet keep its shape.

Serve warm with butter. Or let it cool, split in half and toast.

The crumpets are supposed to freeze well if wrapped airtight in foil.

14 comments:

Anh said...

I love chewy crumpets!!! And that surely looks good. I think I have bookmarked the same recipe :P

Have a great holiday!

Barbara said...

I like the chewy ones too, Shaz!
Have a great break!

PlumLeaf 李葉 said...

Great post - I've made crumpets at home but found them rather thin - I like mine deep and full of holes to hold the butter and jam (or marmite & cheese!).
The fluffy ones look like english muffins that you toast and split and eat with jam or as a base for eggs benedict (or just ham and egg is good!).

MaryMoh said...

I love crumpets...so good with peanut butter....yum

Barbara Bakes said...

I fell in love with crumpets on our trip to Australia. My one attempt at them was not a success. I should try again with this recipe, if I can figure out the conversion. :-) Have a great holiday.

Jennifurla said...

I think yours look great, I have only had BB ones from trader joes and they tasted like soap!

foodwink said...

Have a great break Shaz! Those crumpets sure lol mouth-watering. I'm with you - I try to avoid pre-packaged, processed food whenever possible.

kirbie said...

I'm making crumpets this weekend! I had a recipe I ws planning on trying, but I might try one of yours as well. I like my crumpets chewy. I've been wanting to make them since my trip to Seattle

Tanvi said...

I liked the chewy ones.I liked your honesty too about not jotting the recipe for both :)

3 hungry tummies said...

I love the chewy ones too. Have a good break my friend!

Anonymous said...

You have missed out the most important ingredient for making crumpets - Bicarbonate of soda. You mix half a teaspoon into warm water and add at the last minute before ladling into metal rings.
This gives the traditional holes. Once the underneath is cooked, you can take the rings off and flip them onto the other side. The holes will appear then pop. You can "help" them pop with a cocktail stick.

shaz said...

Thanks everyone!

Annonymous, thanks- I did use bicarb in the first lot which made them fluffy and I didn't like the texture. The second lot had the holes and chewisr texture I prefer . Cheers for the tips :)

pierre said...

i love crumpets they remind me my vacation in UK!!Pierre

grace said...

just saying the word 'crumpet' is enough for me...but seeing the melted butter oozing into those pores is quite an added bonus. :)