Bone-boloni! A (dough)nutty Daring Bakers challenge.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Warning: This post may have been processed through equipment containing puns.

Avast me hearties, feast your eyes on this plate of bone-boloni. That be Italian style doughnuts in landlubber terms. That’s right, this month me merry crew of D-arrrr-ing Bakers went nuts. For doughnuts. Arrr…


Skull and crossbone-boloni

Okay, I won’t try to do the whole post in Pirate, and yes I know, talk like a pirate day is long gone, but little MC junior had been obsessing about having a pirate themed birthday party for almost a year now. Of course, like all good almost-4 year olds, she’s had a complete and sudden change of mind and decided she doesn’t want a pirate p-aar-ty after all. Her birthday is just over two weeks away.

Arrrrrrr…..gh.

Luckily, I’ve been a tad disorganised and her change of mind hasn’t really thrown a spanner in the works, but I needed to get the pirate out of my system, so bear with me.

Or not.

I’m tired, I’ve done this whole challenge in one day (thank you one-person cheer squad), so I think I will do less of the talking and more of the showing the pictures.

And before I forget and get kicked out of the gang, here is my international sign of the doughnut : The October 2010 Daring Bakers challenge was hosted by Lori of Butter Me Up. Lori chose to challenge DBers to make doughnuts. She used several sources for her recipes including Alton Brown, Nancy Silverton, Kate Neumann and Epicurious.




I made the Kate Neumann bomboloni recipe(halved portions) and as far as recipes go, it was a walk in the park. Apart from sticky dough (just dust with flour to counteract) the doughnuts were pretty straightforward to make. I did find that the bomboloni fried better if the heat was kept at medium low, I didn’t use a thermometer but when I noticed the doughnuts were browning too quickly, I’d move the wok off the stove to cool it down a bit.


See, I made some proper ones too. These were mini versions (I used a bottle top to cut out circles. Rolled in cinnamon sugar, yum!)

Filled some with blueberry jam


 Used a larger cutter, made a few bigger ones and filled with nutella (but of course)

To make the bone shaped doughnuts, I rolled a small sausage of dough from the middle so that it bulged at both ends like a set of dumb bells. then I flattened the whole thing. Worked a treat.


Don’t forget to visit our host to find the recipes, or you can find them at the Daring Kitchen, and do check out what the other p-arrr-ticipants made!

Doughnuts on a skewer. While playing with my doughnuts (*raised eyebrow*), I remembered that when I was a kid, we'd buy doughnuts like these from the bakery. Anyone else remember them?

19 comments:

shelley c. said...

Well, I am sorry your daughter changed her mind, because those pirate bombolini would make a perfect party treat, but hey - that's four year olds for you! All of your bombolini look absolutely delicious. Great job!!

Lora said...

I love your pirate doughnuts! but they all look delicious.mmmm Nutella filling.

Deeba PAB said...

BOOO... love them Shaz! Bone Boloni ... just wonderful! YAY you ... you had such fun with the challenge. My kids would have loved these! xo

Hungry Dog said...

I'm not a big donut person but I would definitely eat some of yours! Very impressive. I like the looks of those little ones filled with blueberry jam. Yum!

Heavenly Housewife said...

OMG, those bone donuts are faaaaaaaaabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeanne said...

Ay, this be some handsome grub, matey! ;) Methinks you won't be walkin' the plank if ye bring some o' these doughnuts along!

Joudie's Mood Food said...

I love the look of the blueberry filled ones. COuld totally get my teeth on to them! YUMM!

Jeannie said...

Yeah, I remember that doughnut skewer from way back...lovely!

Velva said...

This is awesome and delicious.

Marcellina said...

What fun, Shaz! Sometimes I think we mums get way more into it than the children when it comes to birthday parties! Maybe you could have your own pirate party - it's a shame to waste such a good idea!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) said...

This is such a good idea!!! Halloween doughnuts!! Well done, Shaz!

Beth said...

I'll never forget the pirate birthday party I threw for my then 5-year-old, complete with a treasure hunt through the house and neighborhood. The kids had a blast! I was so exhausted, I fell asleep at 7:00. (Yes, the partygoers had gone home by then.)

Renata said...

haha... love the skull! So creative! Also love the skewer full of bite sized doughnuts! Great job on the challenge!

grace said...

ah, macabre AND delicious--a rare combination. :)

Audax said...

I just love the texture of your doughnuts so airy and light and the colour is stunning. Well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Austalia.

Karen said...

How cute! I love the pirate version and the ones on the skewer. Yummy. :-)

Barbara Bakes said...

Looks like you really had fun with this challenge! I love them. Who would love to eat donuts on a skewer!

shaz said...

Thanks everyone! I am so going to have a pirate party for myself, great idea :)

Sue said...

Your bones are so cute! I love the pirate-speak too:) Your donuts look so light and airy, and the jelly filled look delicious! I wish I had made some of those! I only made sugar donuts. Oh well, next time...:)