Macattack 12: May you be in the pink…

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Did you know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month? I didn’t.  While I am fully aware of the pink ribbon (which has been around since the 90s apparently), I just didn’t realise there was a dedicated time-frame for awareness.

But the theme for this month’s macattack was Pinkarons for Pinktober, so now I know better.

To be honest, I’m kind of at a loss for words for this post. Everything that needs to be said about breast cancer has been done better by people far more qualified than I.

So, instead of boring you with flippant commentary and atrocious puns, here are a couple of links that may/ may not be of interest to you:
1) National Breast Cancer Foundation (Australia)
2) Think before you pink

And here are some photos of the macarons I made. Hazelnut and coconut macarons (tinted very light pink), with a salted caramel filling (using pink salt).


For the macarons, I used the Italian method and made it with hazelnut meal instead of almond meal,then replaced 30g of the nut meal with dessicated coconut.

For the salted caramel, I halved a recipe I found here. I used all caster sugar instead of a mix of Demerara and caster. The resulting filling/ sauce is VERY addictive, be careful ☺

And that is that.



(By the way, we’re heading off camping for four days, so if you leave a comment and it doesn’t show up, it’s because there’s no internet access or mobile phone reception where we’re headed. I’ll be back soon to visit your blogs soon, have a great weekend!)

16 comments:

Juliana said...

First, thanks for the links...and the macs sure look perfect! Great photos as well :-)

Jennifurla said...

They look perfect

Lora said...

These are gorgeous! Love the pink salt addition.

Barbara Bakes said...

Caramel is my favorite mac filling. Your macs look perfect. Have fun camping!

Beth said...

Your macarons look wonderful. Have fun camping!

Heavenly Housewife said...

Beautifully done, lovely elegant flavour! Have a wonderful camping trip.
*kisses* HH

Hungry Dog said...

You are a macaron expert! I like the idea of the salted caramel filling. I could probably eat that on a shoe.

grace said...

think pink, indeed! your flavors are, as usual, tremendous. i'll say it again--you're my macaron hero!

Lisa said...

Oh, I love the flavors, and they look pinkalicious beautiful, shaz! Wish I was able to take part this month, but I just had too much on my plate :(

shaz said...

Juliana - thank you, but they're not 100% perfect yet, they've a bit "toothy" which is a sign of underbeating, sigh...

Jennifurla - aw thanks, but see above.

Lora - I love my oink salt, and it's australian too, very patriotic :)


Barbara Bakes - thanks! we had a great time.

Beth- cheers, the trip was a much needed break

Heavenly Housewife - thanks darling, we ate macarons while roughing it ;D


Hungry Dog - hmm, not sure about that expert bit. But seriously the filling is so good, I would eat it on a shoe too!

grace - wow, glad to be someone's hero. VEry flattered.

Lisa - maybe next month? Know what? I haven't even started my Daring Bakers for this month, eeek!

Jamie said...

Oh, Shaz, these are the most perfect macs of any of us! Stunningly perfect! And love the flavors - coconut, hazelnut with caramel filling is fabulous. ENjoy your camping trip and these wonderful pink macs. Thanks for baking with us for this worthy cause!

jen cheung said...

yumms! Those macroons looks delicious!!!

Have a great week up ahead!
jen @ www.passion4food.ca

Sue said...

They look perfect, and that filling sounds delicious! Macarons certainly make a camping trip more sophisticated...gourmet camp fare:)

Deeba PAB said...

Shaz, these are perfect as perfect can be, and PRETTY in PINK too! I love how far you've come baking macarons, and the wonderful flavours you experiment with. These are fabulous. Thank you for helping us spread the 'pink message'. It's wonderful to have you at MacTweets. xoxo

shaz said...

Thanks everyone :)

Annapet said...

Those are gorgeous dainty feet! Thanks for baking for the cure!