Malaysian Monday 53: Cucur Udang / Prawn Fritters.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ah yes, well, it’s not really Monday anymore in my part of the world, but it could be in yours, right?

We had a great weekend camping, but getting back into our daily routine has been slightly challenging to say the least. The weather didn’t help either, we went from lovely warm sunny days to rainy, grey and cold (ugh!) on our return. With such miserableness  outside, I turned to something deep fried and warm for today’s, err, yesterday’s Malaysian Monday - the aforementioned fritters.



These snacks are actually quite easy to throw together, and there’s no hard and fast recipe, it all depends on taste. The usual ingredients include prawns, beansprouts (taugeh), chives/spring onions, chillies and tumeric. Flour, egg, water and salt are added to bind everything together. The ratio for each of these ingredients rests with the cook. You can even throw other sorts of vegetables into the mix if you fancy. When I went searching for recipes, I found recommendations for flour weights ranging from 150g to 500g, and for either 1 or 2 eggs.

What to do when faced with so many different sources? Cobble together my own version of course. Did it work? Pretty well if I do say so myself ☺

I ate these fritters dipped in sweet chilli sauce, but they are sometimes served with a spicy peanut sauce, and they also form part of a meal known as pasembor (a sort of warm noodle salad, slathered with a peanut and sweet potato sauce).


Do you like my kitschy cucumber serving bowl for the sauce? Just scoop out the middle of a halved cucumber and fill. Or use a halved capsicum. I remember these tricks from my school days. It paid to be a nosy parker who wandered through fellow schoolmates’ Home-Ec. classes. Those of us who didn’t do the classes would hang around outside the kitchens after our friends had finished a lesson. We’d look hungry and hope to get fed. Luckily, my ability to feed myself has greatly improved since then.

Have a great start to the week! Enjoy the fritters.


Don’t forget, if you’d like to participate in our Muhibbah Malaysian Monday, please send your entries in to (sureshchong[at]yahoo[dot]com) at 3 Hungry Tummies who’ll be hosting this month. Thank you!

Cucur udang / Prawn fritters
(makes about 12 or so depending on the size of your ladle).

Approx 1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder (more often than not baking soda is used but I don’t like the taste. You can also omit the raising agent if you prefer).
Large pinch ground tumeric
Pinch of salt
Handful of bean sprouts- remove tails, break into small pieces, about an inch long
2 stalks spring onions- diced
12 prawns (give or take according to taste) – remove heads, devein. Leave 6 unpeeled, and chop in half. Peel the rest and chop into small pieces
1 egg, lightly beaten
Enough water to form a batter (I used just over ½ cup, but obviously it depends on your ingredients)
You can also add chopped chillies (I didn’t, just in case the MC’s wanted to try some fritter), thinly slice onions, garlic chives, etc.




Place the flour, tumeric and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the beaten egg, and slowly add the water, mixing as you go. Do not add the water all at once, just add enough to get a batter that will drop easily.

Add in the other ingredients – diced spring onions, beansprouts, chopped peeled prawns (don’t add the prawns with the shells yet) and mix well. Adjust water if necessary.

Heat enough oil for deep frying, place a metal ladle (I used a long handled metal salad server) in the oil to heat up. When ready, take the ladle out, drop some of the batter onto it, place a piece of prawn onto the top of the batter, then carefully lower the ladle into the hot oil. Careful, it may spit.

Fry until golden the remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Serve warm. Best eaten on the day they are made though I did refrigerate a few and they held up quite well when reheated in the oven.

9 comments:

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) said...

I am craving for cucuk udang now and I blame you for it. Haven't found a good recipe, thanks for sharing. Will give your recipe a try, the texture looks good :)

Barbara said...

These look delicious, Shaz! And yes, I do love the hollowed out cucumber for presentation.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I think fritters are about one of my favourite ways to eat prawns! And lol at your story about the cucumber! :D

Heavenly Housewife said...

Oh I do love little crispy fried things, even if there are little critters inside LOL. THey look fab daaahling, and I love the cucumber dipping bowl :D
*kisses* HH

chocolatesuze said...

nawww i love these fritters! but the boy is allergic to prawns and my life has been devoid of prawn tastiness

Juliana said...

Shaz, the prawns fritters look yummie, crispy and dipping into the cucumber sauce must be SO tasty :-)

shaz said...

Thank you everyone!

Hungry Dog said...

These look awesome! I'm sure I could eat about 12. I really like the idea of serving them with a peanut sauce. Delicious.

moonglowgardens said...

I was just craving of something like this! Cucur Udang is very similar to the Philippine "Ukoy" or "Okoy"! Thanks for sharing! I learn something new everyday!