When good cake pops go bad….

Saturday, October 16, 2010

How’s your weekend going friends? Have you been baking? Got any spare cake crumbs lying around? How about making cake pops? When will these questions ever end?

Yes, these yummy treats need little introduction, but just in case you’re not a compulsive food blog surfer, let me quickly explain that a cake pop is basically cake on a stick – hence cake lollipop, shortened to cake pop. (Actually, I assume this is why they’re called cake pops, please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong).



If the cake pop isn’t served on a stick then it’s called a cake ball. And of course, if you’ve been around long enough, you’ll have met these cake balls at some point, the most common permutation being the “rum ball”.

Mummy! It's a cake pop!


I didn't mean to make them quite so scary.  I wanted to creat cute round eyes out of fondant, but found that piping some melted white chocolate on was so much faster, but much creepier.

Most cake pop recipes will tell you to crumble cake into a bowl then add cream cheese icing to get a moldable paste. I wondered why not use something else instead of cream cheese icing, which is how my Vanilla/White chocolate cake pops and Chocolate Peanut Butter cake pops were born.


Rub a dub dub, three ghouls in a tub.

There’s no real recipe because I used leftover defrosted cake from previous baking projects. For the Vanilla pops, I used 1 cup of Vanilla pound cake crumbs (I blitzed the cake in the food processor to get nice even crumbs), with slightly less than ½ a cup of white chocolate ganache (also leftover) to bind. Actually I found this was slightly too much ganache, so add your binding ingredient in small amounts and test often
.


For the chocolate cake pops, I used about 1 cup chocolate pound cake crumbs with about 2 tablespooons of peanut butter. I warmed the peanut butter first in the microwave.

Mix your cake crumbs and binding ingredient together until you get a sort of dough. Form into balls or shape into “skulls” like I did. If you want your cake pops/balls to be quite rounded, place them on a baking paper lined tray and refrigerate for a little while before inserting the sticks. I didn’t worry too much that my cake pop babies would have flat heads, so I stuck the holders in then refrigerated the whole lot. And if you’re wondering where to get the holders, here’s a secret: I used lengths of ordinary drinking straws because I wasn’t sure where to purchase the actual lollipop sticks.  As long as you don’t accidentally pinch them when holding, they’re surprisingly sturdy.


To make the skull shape, make an oval shape, then pinch near the base to form the "jaw"

Chill the cake pops for at least 10 minutes in the freezer, or longer in the fridge, melt some chocolate then dip the pops and decorate as desired. I found that the chocolate set quite quickly and found it handy to have a metal icing spatula on hand to smooth the chocolate and draw it under the base of the pop to adhere the cake to the straw. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This does cause condensation to form on your cake pop when you take it out of the fridge, but at least it eliminates the dreaded “bloom” (remember my last post?).

 To make mummies, after dipping - drag streaks of chocolate over the top of the cake pop.  I used a small metal spatula. No need to be neat, the more random, the better.




 Otherwise, drag a fork using short, sharp strokes over the pop to create a furry texture
 



Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks for sticking around. Do pop back soon!  ;P


Chomp

12 comments:

cikmanggis said...

sungguh kreatif hehe sesuatu yang baru ni.Boleh cuba.Terima kasih Shaz.

PlumLeaf 李葉 said...

lol! They do look good - perfect for halloween! In the first shot they look like bandaged mummies!:0D

Heavenly Housewife said...

Oh, I love cake pops daaaahling, they are oodles of fun :D! Fun to make and fun to eat!
*kisses* HH

Marcellina said...

Yum! I do love these more than using cream cheese. Ganache make everything better! What fun you had!

Jamie said...

Shaz these are amazing! Just wild! You are so creative and what kid (or adult really) wouldn't get a kick out of these fun and scary Halloween pops?

Beth said...

I haven't seen these before. They look like fun!

Joudie's Mood Food said...

I totally love cake pops. I make them all the time but i am a little boring with mine and just make the round ones. These put mine to shame and have real character! Good job!

chocolatesuze said...

bahahaha rub a dub dub lol lol lol that totes made my day!

shaz said...

cikmanggis - sama sama. Bila dah cuba tu, pos result ye? :)

PlumLeaf 李葉 - thanks :) It started out as an accidental chocolate drip, then I thought, hmmm, bandages might work here...

Heavenly Housewife - almost too much fun to eat!

Marcellina - ha ha yes, you can say that again, I really do think ganache makes everything better.

Jamie - aw thank you dear.

Beth - they are so fun to creat, I think I'm hooked. Have you ever read Bakerella's blog? She makes the cutest cake pops!

Joudie's Mood Food - I'm sure yours taste super duper yummy. I do scary just because I can;t do elegant ;P

chocolatesuze - glad it did!

Hungry Dog said...

I've seen said cake pops around the blogosphers but never really understood how they were made, until reading this post. Yours (of course) are the cutest ever. Delicious and spooky in one bite!

grace said...

ah, so very clever, shaz! biting into these would bring a person even more pleasure than a traditional cake pop, as one would also be ridding the world of a bit of evil. :)

Emma @CakeMistress said...

Kooky evil cake-pops, perfect for halloween! Peanut butter would be amaaaazing to bind the cake crumbs together. Lovely job.