The Bird-day party and a mini cake-wreck moment.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hi again :)

Sorry, I just didn’t get around to a Malaysian Monday this week, but please keep those entries coming.

As you know, we had a party on the weekend to celebrate MC Junior’s 4th birthday. I don’t know who gets more excited at birthday party time! I love a good theme and often pick up ideas from this website. A bird-day party immediately appealed to my punny bone and I suggested it to MC Junior. She’d only recently abandoned the idea of a pirate themed party (that she had been talking about for a year) and was a little undecided.

But I knew how to convince her, I promised to make bird shaped cake pops.  and when I showed her a photo of Bakerella’s gorgeous little spring chicks, she readily agreed!  :)




Our own bluebird of happiness. I followed the tutorial on Bakerella's site, but I couldn't find candy melts and used those white chocolate Melts instead (looks great but tastes like compound chocolate, bleagh). Actually, it didn't taste too bad because I used good chocolate cake and chocolate ganache for the actual cake ball inside. Found the lollipop sticks (about $AUD3 for a pack of 50) at Spotlight!

It turned out to be an eggciting party and MC Junior was a tired little birdie by the end of it all. Hope you enjoy the pics and I’ll try be a better blogger soon :)

MC Senior made egg-carton bird decorations





She also emceed - here she is doing the chicken dance.

 
We ate bird themed food, like these eggs and cupfuls of udon noodles with a splash of soy sauce. Yes, we called them worms. There was also fruit, vege sticks and dip, and all manner of savoury snack type food for the kids to nibble on.



Oh, and the cake wreck moment? I knew I shouldn’t have laughed at these wrecks, because my cake did the same thing. Luckily it was sitting in a tub when it happened so I managed to push the cake back together and it held together long enough for a birthday song. Phew!


The cake started out looking ok, but I didn't notice while taking the photo, the fault line in the middle can already clearly be seen.




Birdhouse cake - yes I know it's slightly unbalanced, I was going for whimsy here.


Salvaged cake - arrows show where cake got a bit smushed





Sugar cookies and origami cranes for lolly bags.

15 comments:

Jennifurla said...

OMG how adorable, very inventive and personal. Great job!

Juliana said...

Shaz...they are SO SO cute...love all the birdies :-)

Anh said...

omg these are sooo cute!! I cannot see anything wrong with the cake! :D

Emma @CakeMistress said...

whoa, good save on the cake! It looks beautiful. Great job on the cake pops too. I'd love to know if you find candy melts in your travels, so tricky to hunt down.

Jeannie said...

Lovely looking party! The cake still looks lovely, lopsided and all! I am sure your birthday girl enjoyed herself very much!

3 hungry tummies said...

Looks like a really fun day! Loving the bird theme part :)

Kitchen Butterfly said...

It looks so lovely Shaz, well done. I'm sure she had a great day. I love the decorated boiled egg halves and the cake looks delicious

shaz said...

Thank you everyone, the birthday girl had an awesome time!

Emma(Cakemistress)-I've seen the candy melts at Spotlight before but they didn't have them when I went back. They're not cheap either, I think it was about $14 a bag, but I can't remember what size bags they were.

Cheah said...

What a lovely party! I didn't notice anything wrong with the cake, it's meant to be 'sengyet'!
And the birthday girl is soooo cute and pretty!

Beth said...

What an adorable party! You really went all out. I loved everything you made! (And your daughter is a real sweetie!)

Barbara Bakes said...

What a creative idea for a party. How fun! Your cake is adorable!

Heavenly Housewife said...

My mother would be in heaven. She loves everything birdy (and has four little terror-dactyls at home LOL I cant even remember all their names), they are so messy.
Anyways, loads of adorable little treats, I'm sure this is a party your daughter will remember forever :D
*birthday kisses* HH

Hungry Dog said...

What a fun party and what a good mom you are! Lucky MC Junior. The cake looks good to me. And those eggs are so cute, will have to remember that.

grace said...

it's a great cake and those eggs are fun, but it's the little pops that have won my heart. good stuff, shaz!

shaz said...

Thank you my dears!