Campfire Cake (otherwise known as the 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2 Cake)

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Remember how we went camping a little while back?  No? I don’t blame you, it’s taken me a while to get this post together. I’m lucky I still have the photos as I’d uploaded them to my old computer. That computer has now decided it’s in eternal panic  mode and won’t turn on properly. (I’m not kidding, it’s in a state known as a kernel panic, whatever that means. To be fair, the poor dear was quite ancient).

Thankfully, I hadn’t deleted the pics off my memory card, and since we’d had the foresight to upgrade to a new computer before the old one expired, things haven’t been all that bad :)

Now back to the more important matter of cake.

This is the story how we attempted to bake a cake on our campfire.

Did we succeed? You can be the judge of that :)


I’m sure you’d have heard of the 1,2,3,4 cake by now. If you haven’t, here’s the link to the recipe (courtesy of Paula Deen). The 1,2,3,4 refers to the measurements involved.

I’d read how foolproof the cake was, and of course I needed a really basic recipe that relied on cup measures since I couldn’t carry my digital scales along!

This is how our cake-baking went:



Step1: Build your fireplace


Step 2: Set up the oven. Oops, I've only just realised this photo is sideways. Bear with me.




This is the cake pan I used. I didn't really want to use such a fancy pan but it was the only one I had that would fit properly in the camp oven.

Step 3: Ensure that the oven sits level. You may have to find some rocks for this. Best to do this step before oven becomes too hot to handle.



Step 4: Preheat the oven. It was really hard to see the embers in the bright light of day. Would be easier to control at night.





Step 5: Mix the cake batter. We halved all the measurements

 Don't forget to keep an eye out for intruders who want to steal your food.


 

It's ready to go into the oven!




 Baking time! I didn't realise this at the time, some firewood on the opposite side to where I was sitting (and watching the oven) had flared up, heating the cake too quickly.



So, even though the cake looked ok from the top...



It was, uh, slightly scorched at  the bottom. Plus some of it stuck to the pan.

But, no way were we throwing out cake! After trimming, it looked good enough to eat. (In fact, there's only half here because we'd already eaten a fair few de-carbonised slices by this stage).

 Of course, chocolate icing always helps (will type up recipe soon).

We polished it all off. I must say I'm very impressed with the 1,2,3,4 cake because it not only survived the camp fire, it tasted great!

Next time, I’m packing a simpler cake pan, and baking in the evening so I can actually see the coals properly.

And before I go, Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends who are celebrating!

16 comments:

Jennifurla said...

LOL, the intruders are cracking me up!

Karen said...

This is such a fun post. I love that you guys baked a cake over a campfire. And judging by the look on your girls' faces this cake was a smashing success! They are both very cute and already look like expert cooks. :-)

Charmaine said...

Very innovative and clever!

chocolatesuze said...

HAHAHA i love the fingers crossed photo!

♥LOVE2COOK♥ said...

Such an innovative cake baking, that too on a campfire!!! I'm speechless Shaz! Hey loved those tiny hands...;)

Anh said...

I love those camping posts of yours!! Wish I were there to have fun with you. xoxo

natural selection said...

This is brilliant! I love to cook anything by fire and now I have to add cake to the bucket list. Mastering embers takes time I recommend using a BBQ temp gage to get a basic reading for better results. Just sit it right on top of that pot of yours! and perhaps a little water inside the pot as well with pan inside.
That cake looks delicious nonetheless. I would have put it between bread and had like a sandwich!
more please Thank you

grace said...

what a fun experiment! i love the shot with the fingers crossed--you folks have so much fun camping, you actually make me want to give it another try! :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Wow that's amazing that you can bake that while camping! Well done Shaz! :) And kernel panic sounds like frantic popcorn popping! ;)

Beth said...

A cake over a campfire? That is so cool! It looks amazing (burned bits and all).

PlumLeaf 李葉 said...

Impressed that you planned far enough ahead to bake cake whilst at camp! Lol - you make me laugh about the fancy cake pan! Well, you DID take it to camp!

jen cheung said...

this looks fun and your kids enjoyed it so much! happy thanksgiving to you and ur family !! :)


Have a fabulous long weekend!
jen @ www.passion4food.ca

Vanille said...

Like Anh said I like your camping posts. So much fun !
Have a lovely week-end Shaz !

shaz said...

Cheers everyone :)

Natural selection - thanks for the tips!

Indie.Tea said...

It looks and sounds delicious. I've never of it, not a Paula Deen fan...but I adore the simplicity of method of cooking this, looks like fun too.

Julia @Mélanger said...

I've never gone camping, but looks fun. Great pictures. I love a foolproof cake....even with carbon bits (delicious!).