Impulse Buy: Green almonds

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Are you an impulsive shopper? I can honestly say that the usual suspects don’t tempt me. Shoes? Meh. Handbags? Yawn. Clothes? You’re talking to jeans and t-shirt lady here.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for food, plants and stationery.

Which is how I ended up with these green almonds.

I was browsing through the fruit and veg shop, picking up things from my list when I spied a mound of these green furry things. Oooh, must investigate! A close inspection later, I was walking home with a small bag of these babies.



Did I know what to do with them? Of course not.

First I turned to my Cook’s Companion. I found a little information that stated these almonds were considered a delicacy in Europe, and usually served with white cheese and summer stone fruits.

Next I turned to my old pal Google, and landed here where Mr. Lebovitz explained that French cooks sometimes tucked these into jams, or served them sprinkled over fruit compote.

So, no cooking with these then.

I cut them open and we all tried some. What did they taste like? Sort of raw really, and a little “wet”. A bit like a fresh lotus seed. (I know, I know, I’m comparing one exotic to another but that’s what I thought off straightaway).  They didn’t exactly do cartwheels on my tastebud but it’s one item I can cross off my list as having eaten. I ended up chopping them finely and tossing them through a roasted vegetable and cous-cous salad with feta.



They're very soft, and seemd to have a bit of a "jelly" layer in the middle. It tasted pretty "green"


Would I buy them again? Only if I was entertaining and wanted something a bit novel to put on a cheese platter I think. Or if anyone can tell me what else I can do with them, I’d gamely give them another try. Hurry though, I think the season is almost over. I picked these up about 10 days ago, and I think they only appear for about 3 or 4 weeks.

Do tell if you ever impulse shop? ☺

13 comments:

Jennifurla said...

I am glad you tried them, I just recently came home with a super large bag of candid ginger...I know how you feel! LOL

Jamie said...

Aren't you supposed to cook or bake with green almonds? Aren't they raw? I'm a guilty, over careful buyer, unfortunately because usually by the time I decide I should have bought something it is gone :-( Be proud of your impulse!

kirbie said...

How neat! never seen them before. I do that all the time too. See something exotic looking, have no idea what it is, and buy it and google it to find out.

shaz said...

Jennifurla -lol. I love to eat candied ginger. They go well in brownies.

Jamie - I thought I needed to cook them but so far all the info I've seen is to eat them raw. Who knew.

Kirbie - glad to hear I'm not alone.

cikmanggis said...

Rasanya buah sebigini tiada di Malaysia:)

Deeba PAB said...

Oh yum...I love it when one gets tempted into buying stuff like this. We get green almonds here too, and I know not what to do with them. Tell me if you discover something other than just raw chomping...pretty please? I believe they are very high in nutritive value.

Jeannie said...

First time seeing a green almond too,pretty interesting...I am quite an impulsive buyer too, especially with shoes!:P

Hungry Dog said...

I've seen these before and contemplated buying them--I enjoyed reading about your experience. I impulse buy sometimes--I've done it with cardoons, quince, and kumquats. My sister recently found dragonfruit at a market in Princeton NJ and I would definitely buy one of those if I ever saw one. So beautiful!

Leslie said...

Yep..I am like you. I spend $20 at Target on a t-shirt and consider that a splurge. But when it comes to food..I go all out!!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Fiona at Life on Nanchang Lu said...

Ahhh....the Cook's Companion!.....always my first stop too when I have absoluely no idea what to do with those impulse buys - just bought a stack of Chinese gooseberries, fresh in season this week, I was pulled in by their papery coverings.

As for the almonds, there is a spanish recipe for a 'white gazpacho' soup called Ajo Blanco - made with very fresh (maybe green?) almonds, bread crumbs, olive oil, garlic and sherry vinegar, all pulsed together.

Shaz thanks for your lovely words too!

cikmanggis said...

my dear Shaz..happy deepavali:)

Vanille said...

I've honestly never eaten any of those and would be interested to try too.
Impulsive shopping is not that bad if you discover something new, right ?

shaz said...

Thanks folks, and I'll have to remember that suggestion next time I find green almonds, Fiona