When Harry met Dora

Thursday, November 11, 2010

(warning: contains gratuitous photo of a snake)

Sigh. I have been trying very hard to write a post about our not-very-recent-anymore camping trip. But there have been a lot of distractions along the way. Really good distractions actually, like birthday dinners, a party, a day out in the city, and snatches of glorious weather which lured me outdoors.

I also spent a whole weekend making back to back birthday cakes. One was for a Harry Potter fan, and the other went to a little explorer. So do forgive the lack of step-by-step pics , I just wanted to share the finished products with you. The HP cake is chocolate pound cake with a chocolate gancahe filling, and the Dora cake is vanilla pound cake with choc. ganache filling.



 Front view

 Back view-the red board underneath was just a chopping board I used to make it easy to lift the cake onto and off the table.


  Side view with Dobby and golden snitch (it's a chocolate with the label taken off)



Work in progress - Monster book of Monsters


Work in progress - Suitcase



I used fondant icing for everything except the character on top - those are made with flower modelling paste.


Hope you like the pics, and have a great weekend. Remember, there are still a few hours left to enter the CSN giveaway!

Oh, and as if I didn’t have enough distractions, I sidetracked to CakeWrecks while attempting to write this post. Which led to Epbot, then to Pogo. Can we say Alohomora?



We went to the Ku-Ring-Gai Wildflower Garden for the Dora party and met one of the residents. A beautiful diamond python.

22 comments:

natural selection said...

Getting straight to the point here. You have incredible skill!
Cheers!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What splendid cakes! I'd love to be as talented as you...

Cheers,

Rosa

Beth said...

I love the Harry Potter cake! You are so creative!

Kristin said...

That Dora cake is just awesome. WOW!

Charmaine said...

Cakes look fantastic. You're very talented. To make it easier to lift the cake board, I glue small wooden squares (like cleats) at the bottom. Does not have to be too high. I think you can buy these cleats from cake deco stores too.

Esi said...

Hmm, I'm a huge Harry Potter fan! Can I get a cake? :)

chocolatesuze said...

ahahahaha i love the monster book!

Anh said...

you are so talented!

shaz said...

natural selection - howdy and thank you! Great to meet you.

Rosa's Yummy Yums - you're too kind. You are so super talented, I know, cos I read your blog :)

Beth - thank you veyr much!

Kristin - Glad you like it :)

Charmaine- thanks for that great tip. I have trouble finding a good cake deco store nearby but I suppose I could just cut some square dowelling type stuff to size.

Esi - if you were nearby, you'd definitey get cake, no question about it!


chocolatesuze - actually that was my favourite part too :)

The Cooking Photographer said...

I want that cake for my birthday Shaz! The monster book one. I am a huge Harry Potter fan. Oh man, I wish you lived closer to me.

Or I could move closer to you. It's freezing cold and my winterphobia is kicking in.

Laura

Deeba PAB said...

Gosh, you are so talented Shaz...thees are beautiful!Well done my friend!

Indie.Tea said...

Wow, you are SO talented. The cakes look gorgeous - so creative...so cute. Amazing.

jen cheung said...

oh em gee! look at these gorgeous cakeeeeeeee!!! so creative and adorable!!


have a lovely weekend!
jen @ www.passion4food.ca

Fiona said...

What a talent! Those cakes are incredible, esp the Harry Potter one

And co-incidentally we lived in Sydney many years ago, our house backed onto Kuringai Chase National Park and we were frequently visited by red-belly black snakes. Yikes!

Heavenly Housewife said...

All of your cakes look great, you are such a talent, but I got to say, the Dora cake is especially fabulous! Way to go daaaaaahling!
*kisses* HH

Emma @CakemIstress said...

Beautifully decorated cakes. They're so intricately detailed.

pierre said...

this is just art bravo !Pierre

Karen said...

Wow, you are incredibly talented Shaz! The cakes look fabulous. So cute!

shaz said...

The Cooking Photographer - I feel for you LAura, I'm definitely not a winter person!

Deeba PAB - thank you dear.

Indie.Tea - um, I'm blushing now, thanks!

jen cheung - thank you, hope you had a great weekend too.

Fiona - Thanks! Actually we saw a red bellied black snake too but it didn't photograph well (I was standing a long, long way away!)

Heavenly Housewife - thank you darling :)

Emma @CakemIstress - cheers :)

pierre - not sure about art, but thank you for being so kind :)

shaz said...

Thanks Karen!

grace said...

those are cakes?!?! amazing! i'm truly in awe of your mad, mad skills. i classify these as too perfect to be consumed. :)

PlumLeaf 李葉 said...

lol! Cakewrecks! Now that is a GREAT way to waste time!

Lovely cakes by the way!