Wishing you a berry merry Christmas with stollen (Daring Bakers challenge Dec 2010).

Friday, December 24, 2010

My bags are packed, I’m ready to go...ok, technically I haven’t packed my bags yet, but at least the presents are wrapped.

We’re heading off to spend Christmas with the in-laws, so this is probably my last post for the year. And of course, I cannot leave without wishing all of you a happy and blessed Christmas, and best wishes for the New Year. If you aren’t celebrating, hope you have a wonderfully relaxing holiday season.

But before I leave, I need to reveal my Daring Bakers challenge for December. Not one, but two stollens for your viewing pleasure (is the plural of stollen, stollens?).

The 2010 December Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Penny of Sweet Sadie’s Baking. She chose to challenge Daring Bakers’ to make Stollen. She adapted a friend’s family recipe and combined it with information from friends, techniques from Peter Reinhart’s book.........and Martha Stewart’s demonstration.



Fresh out of the oven - stollen number one - currant, craisin, cherry, ginger and almond.

I divided the given dough recipe and turned half of it into a currant, craisin, cherry, ginger and almond stollen, while the other one was a blueberry and peanut marzipan stollen (inspired by PB & J).

We loved the currant, craisin, cherry, ginger, almond stollen but the MCs found the peanut marzipan one a bit too peanutty (I thought it was great).


Thanks Penny for a great challenge.  Don’t forget to check out what the other Daring Bakers have done, and the recipe can be found at the Daring Kitchen.


The "before" shot


The "before" close-up





The "after" shot 


The "after" close-up




Home made peanut marzipan left over from a previous recipe

Peanut marzipan on stollen dough, about to be rolled up


Trying out some fancy-schmancy wreath making - not quite successfully.


Stollen number two - these babies are HUGE ! How on earth did the Daring Bakers who made the whole portion actually fit these into their ovens?

Stollen number two dredged with icing sugar then coated in a layer of warmed berry jam, then more icing sugar over the top (of course)


We were asked to package our stollen creatively. Not sure that bunging it onto a foil covered plate and wrapping cellophane all round it could be called very creative, but the packaging held together very well when I took it along to a carols by candlelight do.

Stollen on the sand



I used the challenge recipe with the following changes:
1) Made the dough but didn’t add fruit in until time to knead. I divided the dough into two by weight, so I could bake smaller sized stollen and change the flavour as needed.
2) I added some grated nutmeg and allspice to the flour.
3) For the first stollen, I soaked the fruit in Cointreau because I wanted a citrus note without having to use peel. For the second stollen, I soaked the blueberries in bourbon.

Thanks for visiting, take care and I will come by to visit your blogs soon :)

25 comments:

Heavenly Housewife said...

What a perfect choice for the season. You've done an amazing job, it looks fabulous.
*kisses* HH

shelley c. said...

The peanut marzipan for the PB&J inspired stollen was inspired! Both of your stollens look beautiful. Great job on the challenge! Happy holidays!

UFRV said...

Peanut marzipan, it must taste like heaven! :-) Your stollen looks so delicious, congrats and happy Christmass!

Karen said...

The Stollen looks delicious! Have a very merry Christmas and all the best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year to you and your family.

Suzler said...

I'm not usually a fan of marzipan, but I could be swayed by your peanut version! Both your stollen look beautiful!

Beth said...

Wow! What a gorgeous stollen! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas holiday -- looking forward to reading your posts again in the New Year.

chocolatesuze said...

Merry Christmas Sharon! Happy holidays!

Jeannie said...

Love the look of stollen no. 1...no.2 looks bigger than no. 1 lol! Wishing you & family a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays too Shaz:D

Jenny said...

I think the peanut marzipan + blueberry version sounds delicious! And yes, my stollen was so huge and heavy I couldn't lift it with one wrist!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What a beautiful stollen Shaz and the peanut marzipan is such a clever idea!Hehe yes instead of snow we have sand :P I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :D

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

This look fresh and Good. Wishing a blessed Christmas and Happy New Year!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) said...

Great looking stollen. I am demolishing mine tomorrow. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and your family, Shaz!

jen cheung said...

Passion4Food here to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year. May 2011 bring you lots of happiness and friendship. Have an awesome day with your love ones!!

jen @ www.passion4food.ca

pierre said...

Hi Shaz I wish you the best for this season holidays !Cheers from Paris Pierre

sweetakery said...

Both of your stollens look beautiful. beautiful photos! Great job on the challenge! Happy holidays! ♥

grace said...

i had my first taste of stollen the other day and enjoyed it very much. festive work indeed, shaz--happy holidays!

Laura said...

Love the idea of a pb&J stollen--what a great idea. Looks great!

Indie.Tea said...

Its winter here during Christmas time, so seeing the beach shot is a bit startling for me.
...but your stollen sounds and looks terrific. And I hope you had a nice Christmas and a wonderful Ne Year!

Poires au Chocolat said...

I love all the different wreath techniques! Both flavour combos sound great too.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year :)

MaryMoh said...

Beautiful stollen. Thanks for showing how to make it into a wreath. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

shaz said...

Thank you for all the wonderful wishes everyone, we just got back from holidays, so I hope to post some pics up soon :)

Seattle Pastry Girl said...

Beautiful job on the stollens and the peanut marzipan sounds delicious !

Marcellina said...

Hey Shaz, great stollens! I love both versions but peanut marzipan sounds delicious! Yes, I can't believe how big even half a portion was let alone the entire recipe made as one - HUGE!!! Hope you had a great Christmas! Blessings and best wishes for 2011!

Y said...

Peanut marzipan! YUM.

Aparna said...

Your stollen looks lovely. I make cashew marzipan but never thought of peanut marzipan. Have to make some.
Best wishes for a happy, prosperous and peaceful new year.