Malaysian Monday 60: Homestyle green bean omelette

Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy Monday everyone.

So here we are at Malaysian Monday number 60. Wow. I’ve missed a few here and there, but this means I’ve got over a year’s worth of Malaysian food posts logged on here already. That makes me feel sort of glowy inside :) Thank for following along!

Something occurred to me though, when I was wondering what to make for this post. I’ve been cooking a lot of kuih (snack/cakes) and street food or food that is not usually made at home. The sort of food I’ve missed and couldn’t easily find since moving to  Australia.

But what about the food my family ate at home? You know the sort of simple, comfort food my Mum cooked. The Malaysian equivalent of mac and cheese if you will. A lot of these dishes aren’t really all that photogenic, and I’m not sure if  many people in Malaysia actually ate similar dishes or whether Mum just whipped them up when she felt like it. But these were dishes I grew up with, so I thought they deserved their own little turn in the Monday spotlight.

To kick things off, today I give you my Mum’s green bean omelette, although she called it a French bean omelette. To be honest, I’m not too sure what the difference is between a green bean and a french bean. If anything, I remember that the beans she used were slightly shorter and plumper than the ones I buy here. Any bean experts out there?

What's in a name?


This is the sort of dish we ate often, and I have made many, many times when I needed something easy that ticked boxes. Vegetable? Tick. Protein? Tick? Quick? Tick. Have ingredients in fridge? Tick. Mini-critics will eat it without complaining too much? Large tick.

There are only a handful of ingredients needed for this omelette, and you can vary the amounts (and of course the ingredients) as you see fit. Treat the recipe as an idea and take it from there.

Have a great start to the week, and don’t forget that I’m hosting Muhibbah Malaysian Monday #7. Please send your entries to its(dot)sharon(at)gmail(dot)com. Muhibbah Monday is a blog event I started with Suresh from 3 Hungry Tummies, and you can find more info here.



Green been omelette



- Two large handfuls green beans, topped and tailed, then sliced into fine rounds. The thinner the rounds, the faster they cook. (If you like your measurements, I used about 1 1/2 cups worth of the rounds)
Two cloves garlic - peeled, finely minced (you can sub onion or other herbs for different flavour)
Eggs, preferably free range ( I went with four large eggs, but you can make it as eggy as you like)
Splash of soy sauce.

In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and a splash of soy sauce. For family meals, I try to keep the salt level down, so I don’t add additional salt, but go with what you like. Add a dash of pepper to the eggs too.

In a wok or large flat frying pan (large enough to hold the finished omelette), heat a little vegetable oil, then fry the green beans until they start to change colour (become very vibrant green). This doesn’t take very long. Add the garlic, give it a good stir and fry until the garlic has become fragrant. Add the beaten eggs in, lower heat if necessary, then cook until omelette is ready. Swirl the pan from time to time to make sure the egg sets properly. We always ate this omelette very well done, so it was cooked through, not soft centered in the Western manner. I often try to turn this omelette but it doesn’t hold up well and just breaks into a gazillion pieces, which is fine. This is homestyle remember?

Serve with steamed rice as part of a Malaysian/ Asian meal.





Told you it wasn't pretty!

18 comments:

cikmanggis said...

Hi Shaz..inilah masakan yang selalu cm masak.Selalunya Cm guna kacang panjang.Kacang yang dalam gambar diatas adalah kacang buncis dalama bahasa malaysia.jika masak kacang buncis selalunya my mom suruh potong menyerong(julian)jika kacang panjang my mom suruh potong bulat.bila tanya kenapa,jawabnya dari dulu ianya mmg begitu caranya hehe.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

What a good idea. My son like peas very much and I usually cook peas omellete for him so no fussing while eating. But now the peas season is over and I have no frozen stock left in our freezer. But now we have fresh beans maybe I can coax him switch to bean omelletes.

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

In my summer holiday day job on checkouts, we were taught that French beans were the flattened variety; normal green beans were round. Either way, this looks great. Will have to remember this for the next time I'm looking for a fast dinner!

Barbara said...

I've always thought French green beans was referring to how they were cut...as in Frenched. When you see them frozen in the market, they are sliced the long way. Be interesting to see your other comments.
Anyway, I love this idea. Of course, it would work with lots of veggies, but this one is unusual in an omelet. Nice idea, Shaz!

Deeba PAB said...

At least we have the same green beans here dear Shaz, and the same perplexed feeling wondering whether they are French or green...or the same thing! LOVE your home-style omelette and love it well done too. I cannot have it undercooked ... this looks wonderful and very intriguing! YUM!

tina_bakes said...

I've never put vege in my telor dadar, but this is a great idea!! adds crunch and can be a one dish meal on lazy days..I'd add lots of cili padi to this too!! :) yumms!!

btw, it DOES look pretty!!

Heavenly Housewife said...

I would love this. I am always eating omelettes, and love to throw in all sorts of goodies.
*kisses* HH

The Cooking Photographer said...

Shaz someday you've got to install a printer button. Until then I'll just copy and paste to print because this simple recipe is about to become a staple in my house.

L

lena said...

truly comforting, i love having this with porridge too. Long beans..as from its name are really long, maybe ard 1.5ft in length and has a rough surface..french beans on the other hand are short, plumper and has a smooth surface. Both makes great omelettes.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Is it 60 already Shaz?! I remember when you first started it. What a great series as always :D

Hungry Dog said...

This sounds so intriguing--I love the beans cut up into tiny little rounds. Very cute. I just might have to forego my anti-egg stance and give this a try. Congrats on your 60th MM post!!

grace said...

i've never used green beans in this capacity, but it's a brilliant plan of attack!

Karen said...

Shaz, this sounds fantastic! I can't wait for more home style Malaysian recipes. Malaysia is one of our favorite travel destinations and we have so many great memories. My husband got hooked on baba cendol a few years ago in Melakka. :-)

♥LOVE2COOK♥ said...

I make beans omelette quite often too! I'd love to have it just like that!!! :D

shaz said...

Terima kasih CM. Saya pun ingat kacang ni namanya kacang buncis. Kat sini, kacang panjang dipanggil "snake beans" (kalau tak silap), tapi selalunya nampak kering je, takde selera nak beli, so tibai guna kacang buncis je :)

Malay-Kadazan girl - ha ha, my kids like peas too, they'll often eat them frozen, like lollies!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) - ah, interesting. I saw some flattish beanas at my local Harris Farms the other day, very helpfully labelled : "flat beans". Thanks for the info.

Barbara - thank you. One of my commenters (who writes in Bahasa Malaysia), commented that when she prepares French beans, she cuts them longish and at an angle, and when she prepares green beans/ long beans, they are cut round. So there are two apparently different beans, both cut different too.

Deeba PAB - oh i am glad I am not the only one who is perplexed by the naming. I must go look it up more, very intrigued now!

tina_bakes - oh, cili padi very dangerous especially if green because they look so much like the beans! Ha ha, I'm a wuss when it comes to cili padi. Thank you :)

Heavenly Housewife - thank you darling.


The Cooking Photographer- sorry bout that Laura, I don't even know how to do that and trying to find time to tidy up the blog is so tricky. I haven't even got the Malaysian Monday posts properly indexed! Glad you liked the look of the omelette :)


lena - thanks for the info. The long beans here go under the name of snake beans I think. They're really long, and have purplish seeds. But they aren't all that common, and sometimes quite "tough" so I don't buy them that often.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - thank you so much.

Hungry Dog - wow, I cannot believe you have an anti-egg stance! Thank you :)

grace- yes, the omelette stands victorious in the face of rumbling tummies.

Karen - mmmm, cendol! I wish I had an ice-shaver,I'd make it so often. Although that's probably not a good thing :)


♥LOVE2COOK♥ - it's easy and yummy, and very mum friendly :)

kavitha said...

Wow!!First time in ur blog and these Beans Omelette cherish my old memories.Its so yummy.

Juliana said...

Shaz...never thought in using green beans for omelette...and will definitely try it! Simple, colorful and tasty :-)

Indie.Tea said...

Looks delicious - like the bright green bits of green bean suspended in the eggs. Yum!