Life’s a Peach (Daring Bakers February Challenge)

Sunday, February 27, 2011


Okay, sorry, that was a really bad pun wasn’t it?

Daring Bakers time again, and luckily this time around, I actually made it well before schedule. Although I procrastinated writing the post until today - reveal day. Can’t win ‘em all. :)

I’m going to curb my usual verbosity because I need to get back into the kitchen, we’ve got friends coming over for dinner, and I’m going to attempt a chicken mole, wish me luck!

Alright, first the mandatory blog-checking lines: The February 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Mallory from A Sofa in the Kitchen. She chose to challenge everyone to make Panna Cotta from a Giada De Laurentiis recipe and Nestle Florentine Cookies.

All I need to tell you is that Panna Cotta is one of my favourite desserts because it is super quick and easy to make, and so smooth and creamy to eat. I made the challenge version of Honey Panna Cotta with Coffee Gelee, and added a splash of Kahlua and served it with a mixed nut praline (cant remember what nuts I used now, I think there were macadamias and cashews in there). Oh my goodness, we were scraping the bottom of the glasses!



I used the challenge recipe for the panna cotta, but winged it for my gelee because I wanted it to be quite bitter to counteract the sweetness of the panna cotta.

Then I decided to make a slightly healthier (only slighty) version using brown sugar, peaches and yoghurt. Yum, another win, the yoghurt version is slightly denser but the flavour is complex with a slight tang.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and see you (probably late) on Monday. Do check out the Daring Kitchen for the recipe, and see what the other Daring Bakers came up with.




Florentine cookies - I tried subbing brown sugar with caster sugar for a first batch - disaster. For this batch I followed the challenge recipe, but added an extra 3 tablespoon of oats because the batter looked too runny. The finished cookies remind me a lot of Anzac biscuits, minus the coconut. Oh, and I used golden syrup instead of the corn syrup required in the recipe.

(I was hoping to be able to give you a recipe for the Brown Sugar and Yoghurt Panna Cotta, but I can’t find my notes. I’ll tell you what I did and hopefully you can take it from there. First I skinned two peaches by cutting a cross on the bottoms of them, then dunking them in boiling water. Once out of the hot water, I plunged the peaches into cold water to stop them from cooking. Then I peeled and sliced them thinly. I put the slices into a large bowl, made some simple spiced sugar syrup (1 part sugar, 1 part water, 1 cinnamon stick), then poured the hot syrup including the cinnamon stick, over the fruit and left to cool. I actually made these peaches the day before and left them overnight for the flavours to infuse. This makes more peaches than needed, but the fruit is great spooned over plain yoghurt, or ice cream or even cooked oats for breakfast.



The next bit is pretty simple, I replaced the cream in the original recipe with yoghurt, however, it wasn’t an equal substitution. Because yoghurt is thicker and denser, I used less yoghurt and more milk, but I can’t quite remember what my ratios were. I replaced the honey with brown sugar, and added a dash of ground cinnamon to the mixture too. To make the panna cotta, arrange drained peach slices prettily in a glass and pour panna cotta mixture in, and refrigerate until set.)

31 comments:

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) said...

Love the flavour of your pannacotta with coffee gelee and nuts! Good luck with your chicken mole :)

3 hungry tummies said...

Great work Shaz! I have some peaches in my fridge but I doubt I am patience enough to start a dessert today :) Did you end up making yong tau fu?

shaz said...

Thanks Ellie :)

3 Hungry Tummies, no I didn't end up doing Yon Tau Foo but I made your Tau Yew Bak on Friday night, SO good. Had leftovers yesterday, yum.

Renata said...

I love kahlua and bet your panna cotta with coffee gelee was delicious, and I love your creation with the peaches, looks refreshing and very beautiful!

Ruth H. said...

What amazing flavors! I totally want to try the yogurt/peach panna cotta next time you make it! Congratulations on a challenge that is fabulously well done!

Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet said...

Yum nut praline topping I would be scraping for every last morsel as well. Oh I hate it when I loss my baking notes, happens here all the time with 3 kids 6 and under, often becomes part of their craft I am sure.

Audax said...

WOW stunning work I love the peaches on the side of glasses it looks so pretty and. That coffee version is especially nice I think. The cookies are smashing as well. Wonderful effort and stunning results.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

shaz said...

Renata- thank you. Yay, another Kahlua fan :)

Ruth H. - thank you very much.

Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet - ha ha, I am sure my notes were used as drawing paper. Serves me right for leaving it on the table!

Audax - thanks very much!

Barbara said...

Good work, Shaz! I love panna cotta...so versatile, isn't it? You combined some fabulous flavors AND made a dessert with a stunning presentation!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Great job Shaz and I love how you made it a healthy breakfast friendly item. I am always trying to find good, healthy breakfast dishes! :)

Cheah said...

Your panna cotta looks so inviting and I like the florentine cookies and the picture too!

Aparna said...

Rather liked the pun. :) Recipe or not, that panna cotta must have been nice especially with the creaminess and contarst of the praline crunch.

Jenny said...

I think the peach panna cotta is beautiful and a genius idea, I'm bookmarking it to try during peach season!

MaryMary said...

The peaches are so stunning! Phenomenal job on this challenge!

shelley c. said...

I love both versions - the kahlua must have been a perfect addition to that coffee gelee. And I want to dive into your brown sugar yogurt with peaches version - it looks and sounds so fresh and delicious, and I love the peaches on the side of the glass - really well done!

Beth said...

This looks so beautiful! Congratulations on a great new recipe. You've got me dying to try your Panna Cotta!

Poires au Chocolat said...

That sounds absolutely gorgeous. Love the peach/yogurt/brown sugar combination.

PlumLeaf 李葉 said...

Both those desserts look great but I especially love the sound of the cinnamon peaches and a yoghurty panna cotta! Bet they're nice with those biscuits too!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very well done! All your creations look delightful.

Cheers,

Rosa

Hungry Dog said...

All of these look delicious as usual, but what I really want to know is how the mole turned out??

grace said...

i don't know which makes me drool more, the thought of chicken mole or peach panna cotta! tasty work indeed. :)

Juliana said...

Shaz, love the flavor of you panna cotta, looks delicious...so creamy. Have a wonderful week ahead :-)

shaz said...

Thanks everyone, and the mole turned out really tasty too, although I'm not sure how authentic it was :)

Anh said...

oh my. Your panna cotta looks wonderful :)

Lisa said...

shaz, I so want to make your peach yogurt panna cotta right this minute!! Both your panna cottas sound amazing, and look beautiful - Loving the addition of honey paired with coffee gelee, and I'm not a coffee fan. Also, perfect florentines :) Fantastic and phenomenal job in every way, shape and form!

thedaintyapron said...

Love the one with the sliced peaches in the glass...beautiful!

Jamie said...

Oooh both versions are beautiful and delicious! I love the peach panna cotta and want to try it next summer. Fabulous!

shaz said...

cheers one and all :)

crumbsoflove said...

They both sound great. The peaches on the side of the glass are so pretty!

A little bit of everything said...

your peach version of panna cotta sounds really really good. love the slices on the side. great idea. thanks for sharing Shaz

E.K.R said...

Mmmmm yummy!! Looks delicious! The honey panna cotta with coffee gelee sounds so amazing especially with the mixed nut praline! I'm drooling. Great job on the challenge. :)