Wattle it be this month? Yeasted Coffee Cake. (Daring Bakers)

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Knead some dough? (*groan*?) Well, I’ve got some for you, thanks to our March Daring Bakers challenge hosted by lovely Jamie and Ria.

Cue the blog-checking lines:
The March 2011 Daring Baker’s Challenge was hosted by Ria of Ria’s Collection and Jamie of Life’s a Feast. Ria and Jamie challenged The Daring Bakers to bake a yeasted Meringue Coffee Cake.

When I first saw the challenge recipe, I was very intrigued and not a little sceptical. How was this going to work? The recipe called for a brioche like dough to be wrapped around a meringue layer that had been scattered with a nutty chocolate filling.

But I should have known better than to doubt the Jamie/ Ria team. They are both accomplished bloggers who produce mouthwatering creations. And this one was no exception.




Apart form my initial mistake of overfilling the dough with the meringue and making a huge mess, the steps were easy to follow and the end result was super, super tasty. So tasty it even impressed Mr. Kitchen Hand who doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth. He even went back for seconds. The first messy coffee-cake all but disappeared within 6 hours of coming out of the oven.




Look! I made a dog's breakfast (in case you're confused, it's a colloquial Australian/ English saying)



But it looked sort of better when baked

I wasn’t too surprised because the combination of wattleseed in the dough, and chocolate and pecans in the filling, worked perfectly together. It was sheer indulgence to bite into the outer brioche layer scented with a coffee-ish aroma*, then sink through the pillowy sweet meringue, to arrive at the crunch of smoky pecans and gooey, dark chocolate.
* (wattleseed has a smell very like coffee, with hazelnut undertones, almost like a liquer)



The recipe makes two coffee cakes but I actually used the other half of the dough to make two smaller coffee cakes which were easier to handle. I’d definitely make this again but will divide the dough to make four smaller cakes.


Much better second try. I found that leaving the cake to rise whole before snipping ensured the neatest result. (Cake in back).

As for the filling, the meringue remained visible on the larger cake, but I actually liked it this way (because I like meringue). I also experimented with filling one of the cakes with sunflower seeds and crystallised ginger to get around the no-nut (MC Senior) and no-chocolate (MC Junior) policy of school and pre-school. (Really! No chocolate. I couldn’t quite believe it at first). Although it worked and tasted pretty good, I really think this is one recipe which doesn’t benefit from too much experimentation. The chocolate and nut combination really work together for a greater whole, and changing the balance just sends the end result off kilter. (That’s just my opinion, obviously).





Crystallised ginger and sunflower seeds




Oh, and before I go, check out this clip of a very dishy baker kneading dough/ air kneading. I wanted to try this method, and only got up to about 200 “slams” unlike the 600 recommended by the baker in the video. It was great fun though, and I’m going to knead this way from now on :)


Wattleseed flecked dough. I added 2 teaspoons of ground wattleseed to the flour. The little dough ball in the background was made by my helper.

For the recipe, check out the Daring Kitchen, and don’t forget to visit the other Daring Bakers for their take on the challenge.

21 comments:

Audax said...

Wattle seed I love wattle seed that is superb and the final combination with chocolate and pecans sounds heavenly. Yes a dog's breakfast LOL LOL. Well done on this challenge I love the pictures. It is hard to believe that the school doesn't allow chocolate yikes!!!

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

crumbsoflove said...

Great post. I had to do this twice since all my filling oozed out on the first go! You did a great job. Best, Sandie

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I absolutely love your flavour Shaz! Brilliant, just brilliant! I'm so sad that I missed out on Jamie's DB challenge this month but I think I'll make it another time as it looks delicious :D

Rachel said...

Some amazing flavours.

shelley c. said...

Hey, no matter what it looks like, it's how it tastes that is important, and I am sure that it tasted fantastic. And, seriously, it actually looks kinda cool all baked up! :) That was such an interesting kneading method, too - definitely looks like fun! Fantastic job on the challenge.

Rochelle said...

Oh my! Crystallized ginger has got to be a fantastic filler for one of these cakes! As for your "dog's breakfast" does it really matter how it looks as long as it tastes good? You can hide it from everyone else and keep it for yourself :D

pierre said...

i love the surprise inside !!!
Pierre

Beth said...

No chocolate! Now I've heard everything! These look great, and I'm glad they tasted good as well. (I love the phrase "dog's breakfast'.)

Ruth H. said...

It looks like you had a great time with this challenge. I always say that the bigger the mess, the more fun was had! Your cakes look amazing - especially the shot with the chocolate almost oozing out... Yum!! Great job on this challenge!

thedaintyapron said...

I too was a little heavy handed with the meringue on one of mine. Regardless, it looks delish and it obviously was as it was devoured in no time :)

maameemoomoo - a ½ food blog said...

Whoaaaaa... U got me drooling early in the morning leh.. Not good at all! Hahaa!

Love the surprise inside. If only my kitchen scale is working right now. No prize for guessing what will be baking in my the kitchen!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) said...

I love the additional of wattleseeds! I can imagine the great flavour in the cake. Very nicely done, Shaz.

Jen (Tastes of Home) said...

never tried this before..definitely interesting, but the flavours sound great!

Jamie said...

I don't know wattleseed but now you have me so intrigued I will be looking for it. Your over-meringued cake made me laugh but so happy your crew loved it! And I do think the chocolate-nut version is hard to beat! I loved what you did with this challenge and I never thought of actually making several small cakes but it is a great idea!

shaz said...

Thanks everyone

Lisa said...

The wattleseed with chocolate sounds fantastic, shaz, and I love that you overstuffed it. If I had done a wreath, it would have looked just like yours, and that's how I'd want it to look. I'm a total 'filling' gal :) Beautifully done as always!

Poires au Chocolat said...

I love the top one - it looks crazy! I've never had wattleseed - will have to look it up. Great job!

My Little Space said...

Ooo...Shaz, I love bread! And yours just tempted me to make one. lol! Hungry hungry hungry....
Kristy

Aparna said...

I've never seen or tasted wattleseed but its sounds delicious the way you've described it.
You can call it "dog's breakfast" but the fact that it disappeared so quickly tells me all I need to know. :)

grace said...

note to self: sample wattleseed. you did an excellent job with this one, shaz. round of applause. :)

shaz said...

Thank you so much everyone :)