Macaron Monday : Surprisingly chocolate.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Surprise! Bet you thought you were going to find a Malaysian Monday post right?

Please accept my apologies, I’ve spent the long, and slightly wet, weekend cooking and baking. But didn’t get around to any Malaysian dishes.

Instead, I made some macarons for Macattack #18. Deeba and Jamiechallenged us to “create something sensational, surprising, unique, something beautiful, delectable, tantalizing, something worthy of a Mac Attack!”. We had to include chocolate in some form, whether in the shells or the filling.


Frankly, I was struggling for ideas, and stuck for time. Whilst rummaging through the freezer for my egg white hoard, I found some dark chocolate ganache, and some white chocolate “buttercream”.  Hmmm, an idea began to form. There wasn’t much of either icing, but what if I used them together? A dark and white layer? But that was hardly very surprising was it? How about adding a hidden surprise in the middle of the macaron?

I ran through various possibilities in my head, and rejected them all. Caramel dipped hazeluts? Too sweet. Candied lemon? No time to make. Dried orange segments? Been there, done that. Time was running out, but then I remembered that I’d stashed a couple of pomegranates in the vegetable crisper before we left on our holiday. At first, things didn’t look promising, the pomegranates had turned all leathery and sad-looking, but when I peeled them, glossy, juicy bright red arils tumbled out. Hooray!

So, I made a spiced macaron shell, and sandwiched a couple of the tangy arils between the chocolate cream layers. Ta-da, enter the cinammon, chocolate, pomegranate macaron. Perfection. “Like a party in my mouth,” was Mr. Kitchen Hand’s comment.



I served them up to dinner guests, and everyone agreed the pomegranates really added a lovely kick, a counterpoint to balance the sweetness. I’d actually made half the macarons without the pomegranates, which paled in comparison. So we ended up opening each macaron to check, and added our own arils to the ones we found lacking :)





I accidentally smushed the arils into the bottom layer when I cut it, but you get the general idea. :)


For the shells, I used a basic macaron recipe by Tartelette, converted/reduced it to 2 egg whites, and just added a teaspoonful of cinnamon to the ground almond/icing sugar mixture. You all probably know how to make ganache, and unfortunately I can’t remember how I made the white-chocolate “buttercream”. I was experimenting at the time, but I do know it’s not a proper buttercream, it’s just a simple icing sugar and butter version, with melted white chocolate beaten into it.

That was a fun challenge, thanks Deeba and Jamie! Don’t forget to check out what the other mac-attackers came up with.

Also, don’t forget that my friend Suresh over at 3 Hungry Tummies is collecting entries for the Muhibbah Malaysian Monday round-up. Do send your entries to sureshchong(at)yahoo(dot)com.



Have a lovely start to the week.

15 comments:

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

mmm...can I have a taste too. Look so delicious. I wish we have some rain soon here.

Beth said...

So adorable and creative! What a nice mix of flavors.

Janine said...

It must have been great to have so many flavors in a single bite! And pomegranate and chocolate sounds like a match made in heaven!

Lora said...

Wow that is one sexy macaron.Love the flavors!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Gorgeous job Shaz! And hasn't it so awfully wet this past week! Hope you're keeping dry :)

grace said...

i love the look the arils give the innards. and since cinnamon is involved, i can agree with mr kitchen hand without even tasting them for myself--party indeed!

Barbara said...

Perfect macarons, Shaz! I love your flavors and what fun to see the arils in there!

Juliana said...

What a great adding pomegranates to macs...must really be so yummie. Your macs are always so pretty ;-) Still have to try to make macs...one of this days I'll get the courage. Hope you have a great week ahead Shaz :-)

shaz said...

Thank you everyone :)

KG said...

wow! cinnamon choc and pomegrate...i want!

Deeba PAB said...

Like a party in my mouth...ooh, lucky Mr Man! I think this is the most novel idea of them all Shaz. Just brilliant.Funnily enough, I had 2 poms as well, but I stupidly left them out. They turned leathery too, and sadly dehydrated from within. Next time it's the crisper for me. Wanna join your party! xoxo

Poires au Chocolat said...

What an interesting combination! Bravo. The colours are great too.

hicookery said...

Yes, you are right how the pomegranate seeds balance the sweetness of the choc and white fillings. You have beautiful macarons--and the pom seeds look like rubies! :-)

Bonnie said...

Your macs are perfect. The tops flat, the feet just right, and they look ever so chewy. Perfection on a plate!!!

shaz said...

Thanks everyone.

Bonnie - too kind!