Thumbs up for thumbprints.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Do you ever get that urge? You know, that feeling of needing something sweet, and baked, and home made,RIGHT NOW! But the trouble is, you don’t now exactly what you want to bake or eat? And to make matters worse, the urge usually strikes at night, when it’s way too late to make anything complicated, or anything that requires chilling time (yeah, I’m talking about you choc-chip cookie).



If you’re looking at me funny right now, then you’re probably not from my tribe. But if you get it, here’s a great solution for those late-night-baking-munchy urges. Thumbprint cookies. I’d seen them around on American blogs but didn’t realise they were very, very similar to the Aussie jam drops.





After scouring the interweb, I went with a recipe from Taste.com.au because it was rated highly by many users. I didn’t have any chocolate freckles (used in the recipe) so I just filled some of my cookies with chocolate buttons and some with jam. The thumbprints really hit the spot. Quick to make and you end up with lots to share if you make them quite small. 



After that batch had been eaten/ given away, I started obsessing about the many variations that could be possible with this simple cookie. I tried green tea in the dough which worked well, but I couldn’t decide what to put in the “hole” bit except for some slivered almonds so they didn’t end up very thumbprinty at all. Then I tried ground ginger in the dough, topped with some slices of crystallised ginger. Mmmm, yes!! (Mostly because I have a mild obsession with crystallised ginger at the moment).

Right, I’m off to dream about more flavour combinations. Suggestions welcome :)




(If you’re after  a recipe, I used this one, reduced the sugar to about 180g, added about a teaspoonful of ground ginger, and topped the holes with crystallised ginger slices.).

15 comments:

Hungry Dog said...

I know exactly that urge--it strikes me all too often! These look lovely. I really like thumbprints, I've made them a couple of times. Sometimes they're rolled in nuts which adds a nice crunch.

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

I prefer ginger to chocolate any day. Thumbs up from me.

chocolatesuze said...

heh im from your tribe! the ginger sounds awesome!

Charmaine said...

I do understand the urge.. but I never get around to making anything unless it's on the weekend. Must try this recipe.

Lisa said...

Oh. I love thumbprints, such a classic cookie that always satisfies and comforts. Yours look buttery and wonderful!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

I love crystallised ginger too. Your cookies are so neat and precise in size! Impressive!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Oh you....'not from my tribe'......you had me. And I am so from your clan....love the cookies

A little bit of everything said...

I'm so familiar to that urge, the worst part is that it strikes only at night time :((
your cookies look great, thanks for sharing

Beth said...

Oh, yeah. I am definitely from your tribe. These would suit perfectly!

Vanille said...

So much from the same tribe ;) Despite the promise to myself to keep on eating "healthily" I have to admit that sweets are coming back in force...
I've already seen those cookies but still didn't give them a try yet.
I would not mind to have them right now actually, as a late afternoon snack ;)

grace said...

i think thumbprint cookies are the bees' knees--there's so much potential for mixing it up! nice choice, shaz. :)

shaz said...

Ah, I see I have many tribespeople :) Thanks for all the comments!

Barbara said...

Thumbprint cookies are an old family favorite, Shaz. I love your creative ideas! We usually just add some raspberry jam. We are so boring! :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Isn't the taste site great for recipes. And these look very good indeed. Haha yep I get that urge too and as you say, it's usually at night :P

shaz said...

Barbara, you are not boring in the slightest!

Lorraine, I love the Taste sit, comes in handy for inspiration.