Feeling tarty and spreading the love

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Where on earth did the week go? I was hoping to get to my beloved blog on Wednesday, or at least Thursday, but life happens, right?


What do you bake when the week is speeding by and you feel like something lush and desserty? Perhaps something like this pineapple and gingernut tart/ pie? The base is the standard crushed biscuit (cookie) base but instead of using something plain like graham crackers, I used Gingernuts. I don’t often buy sweet biscuits from the shops/ supermarkets because we prefer the taste of home made. The only exception is Gingernuts - there’s something about the almost tooth-breakingly hard texture that gets to me. I love dipping them in a cup of tea until they are soft enough to eat.


Gingernuts


Spread the crust with a dreamy creamy filling and top with a zingy fruity topping, and you get a pretty snazzy dessert in next to no time.

And speaking of time (you like how I did that?), it’s high time I did a quick shout out to a few fellow bloggers.

First up, is Cheah from No Frills Recipes who is an ardent supporter of our Muhibbah Malaysian Monday project. She tagged me in a Easter meme but I ran out of time to respond, so this mention is hopefully the next best thing :)

Next, I need to say a big thank you to Diyana from Kebun Malay-Kadazan Girls who sent me a whole lot of lovely seeds for the garden. I’d won them in a Save the Bees giveaway on her blog. If you haven’t had a chance to visit her gardening site, I do urge you to pay a visit, you’ll be amazed at the number of edibles she grows in her garden.


The seeds



Some seedlings have sprouted (calendula)

Finally, I just wanted to mention Fiona from Life on Nanchang Lu, for no particular reason really, except that I really enjoy her blog. She writes an expat-eye-view of her life in China, her blog is full of interesting photos, anecdotes, travel tales and of course, food (she's a VERY brave eater). Did I mention she’s a fellow Aussie?

Of course, there are so many other bloggers out there who never cease to amaze and inspire me, and I don’t want any of you to feel left out, so even if I didn’t mention you by name, consider yourself loved :)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Just wanted to share this photo of a very serious faced chef - she's helping Mr. Kitchen Hand make pizza (I get the night off, woo hoo!).



Pineapple gingernut pie

Crust
(I found that eaten straightway, the crust sticks to the teeth a bit. After a day in the fridge, the crust softens (thanks to the filling) and won’t stick. Either let the tart mature, or use a few plain biscuits with the gingernuts to counteract the sticky teeth syndrome, if it bothers you).

19-20 Gingernuts (1 packet contains 20, so either use them all or eat one - cook’s perks)
60g butter, melted

Process the gingernuts until you get fine crumbs. There should be about 1 3/4 cups worth. Place in a bowl and mix the melted butter in thoroughly.  (edit: forgot to mention you need to press the crumbs into a pie dish, but I'm sure you know this right?) Bake at about 170˚C for roughly 5 minutes. Set aside.

Filling
(Modified from a recipe for Cream Cheese Pie found at allrecipes. I reduced the measurements because I'm not a fan of a huge amount of cream cheese, I find it a bit cloying. This reduction in quantities yields a shallower tart/pie.)

250g cream cheese (1 packet) - room temperature
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoon honey
dash of vanilla essence

(Check the recipe link for more thorough instructions). Beat the filling ingredients together until smooth, pour into the crust and bake at approx 170˚C until set (about 35 minutes). Keep an eye on this as the top can get browned quickly, as happened to mine! Cover loosely with foil if needed.

Topping
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoon brown sugar
cooked fruit of choice - I used some cooked pineapple (chop 2 cups of fresh pineapple roughly, add a couple of tablespoons sugar, or to taste, simmer on low heat until tender. It took about 10 minutes. Let cool before using).

Mix the sour cream and brown sugar together. Spread this creamy topping over the cooked filling, then cover with the fruit and bake for a further 5-10 minutes. Cool before attempting to cut. Tastes great slightly warm or even cold, straight from the fridge.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

That looks easy and delicious, Shaz. I have never heard of gingernuts.....imagine gingersnaps would be similar?
Love your cutie in the apron and chef's hat!

Deeba PAB said...

Pineapple & gingernut pie ...sounds so good, and looks delish! That's some serious help Mr Kitchen Hands has got. Shaz, she's screaming precious! xo

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I too love ginger snaps, toothy as they are. That pie looks gorgeous.....Wish I wasn't allergic to pineapple! But bananas would work too

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

I got the day and night off today too. But my hubby just cook for us maggi goreng and french fries. But Mr. Kitchen Hands is more lucky to have a cute assistant. I am glad that the seeds sprouted. If you let them seed they will self-sowed in your garden next season. All that flower seeds self-sowed in our garden tempting me to call them weed.

Jeannie said...

oh yes, this would go down well with my boys, they love cheese in anything! I enjoy reading Life on Nanchang Lu too :) and No Frills Recipe of course...will visit the rest now:)

Jay said...

simply lovely...perfect version..
first time here...awesome space you hve..
following u..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

Beth said...

This pie looks gorgeous. We don't have gingernuts in Canada, so I'll have to look for an equivalent!

Jen (Tastes of Home) said...

lovely pie!! Have never tried baking with gingernuts though, definitely interesting and something new to me :)

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

i going to visit Diyana from Kebun Malay-Kadazan Girls as I currently very interested in all thing in gardening.

pierre said...

i know time flies !!! i love that pineapple tart !!congrats !!pierre

Lisa said...

I love coming here because you always surprise me with an exotic, rare or unavilable in the US, 'ingredient'. This time it's gingernuts, and I suddenly want to try them desperately! The tarts certainly look and sound delicious. Like Barbara, I'm thinking similar to ginersnaps? In any event, another great and yummy entry, and your little sous chef is a doll!

grace said...

pineapple is so often used just as a moistening agent, and that's unfortunate--it deserves the spotlight now and then, and this is a wonderful way to do that! :)

shaz said...

Barbara - I think they sound similar. I had a look at a few gingernut vs gingersnap recipes, and I think the gingernuts have golden syrup in them while the snaps have molasses. I'm not sure since I've never actually attempted to bake my own of either :)

Deeba PAB - thank you. I had to take the pic because she was SO serious, concentrating on her task.

Kitchen Butterfly - oh dear to being allergic to pineapple. But at least you can still have banana, and mango, mmm, mango.

Malay-Kadazan girl - actually, I miss Maggi goreng sometimes:) I don't mind if they decide to self-seed, maybe the possum can eat them instead?

Jeannie - it's pretty cheesy alright. But in a good way.

Jay - thanks for visiting!


Beth - hope you find something. Or perhaps just add some ground ginger to a crushed graham cracker crust?

Jen (Tastes of Home) - Actually, I'd never thought to use them before either. Just felt like it this time, wanted to see if it would work and it did :)

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) - enjoy! There's definitely a lot of gardening going on there.

pierre - thank you.

Lisa - thank you. And I do think the gingersnaps sound similar. Teh thing that sets gingernuts apart from other cookies is the really hard texture (jaw-breakingly so). Apparently, the texture differs between states here in Australia. We in NSW get a different textured one to our neighbours in other states.

grace - I do like putting pineapple in the spotlight every now and again :)

Hungry Dog said...

Gingernuts, huh? Is that someone who is crazy for ginger? Never heard of these, I suppose they are like gingersnaps. ANyway, as for what I put together when I want something sweet but am in a hurry, double chocolate cookies I suppose. They're not hard and are very satisfying.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Mmm my mouth is watering Shaz! It looks so beautifully tropical! And I love that picture of your lil cherub cooking with her chef's hat! Adorable :)