Minutes from the Marquise Challenge

Friday, May 27, 2011

Whoops! Almost forgot about Daring Baker’s reveal day today. Funnily enough, I actually finished this challenge long before the deadline. But inertia has struck, it’s Friday night and my brain is distracted by holiday planning. So, apologies for brevity but I’m just going to do this in point form. (Just pretend you’re at a meeting or something).

1. Blog-checking lines: The May 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Emma of CookCraftGrow and Jenny of Purple House Dirt. They chose to challenge everyone to make a Chocolate Marquise. The inspiration for this recipe comes from a dessert they prepared at a restaurant in Seattle.

2.Obligatory pictures:

Challenge variation a (for explanation see 4)


 Challenge variation b (for explanation see 4)

3. Recipe: Available at our hosts’ blogs, or at the Daring Kitchen.

4. Recipe variations: I made a quarter batch of the recipe, and didn’t use any alcohol as I wanted the dessert to be kid-friendly. (Thanks Audax for the recipe conversions). We needed to blow torch the meringue portion of the recipe, but I just used the oven grill for Variation a (below) and for Variation b, I heated a metal skewer on the gas stove and set it onto the meringue to sear marks into it.


Oven-grilled meringue on sugared nut circle.
 
Seared meringue


Variation a: The chocolate marquise is flavoured with ginger, the meringue with cardamom, the nuts with cloves and cinnamon, and the caramel sauce with tea, ginger and mandarin peel.

Variation b: The “eat your vegetables” attempt. The meringue is flavoured with reduced carrot juice and brown sugar, the caramel made with beetroot juice. The chocolate marquis and nuts as per variation a. What did it taste like? The mini-critics didn’t have a clue they were eating hidden vegetables :) There was a slightly earthy taste to the caramel and meringue but not a flavour that could be pinpointed.


Q: What did the beetroot say to the carrot?

A: Don't dessert me!



5: Find more goodies: Check out the treats made by the rest of the Daring Bakers.

Thanks for a great challenge Emma and Jenny!
Have a great weekend :)

Appendix a: To make the circle, I cut the frozen chocolate marquise with a deep cookie cutter/food ring. After lifting the cutter out, I placed it onto a piece of baking powder dusted with cocoa powder. Then I dusted some cocoa powder onto the top of the ring. Very carefully, I set the cutter over my prepared nut and meringue circles, and nudged it out with a thin metal spatula.





Leftover meringue mixture can be baked on low heat until crisp. Great snacks.

6 comments:

Ashlae said...

I love the fact that you incorporated vegetables into this recipe! Great job - the photos are beautiful.

Bourbonnatrix said...

I'd have never thought to use veggies to flavor this dessert!! Wow! Your first pic looks amazing!

crumbsoflove said...

Love both of you variations. Good on you for sneaking a little bit of veggies into dessert!
Best, Sandie

shaz said...

Thanks for your comments everyone!

grace said...

don't dessert me. ha. sadly, many poor spellers out there won't get that one... :)
i like all you did to your meringue, shaz. searing it? well, that's a stroke of genius!

shaz said...

I didn't even think of that Grace :) Ah well. Glad you enjoyed it :)