Toothy on a Thursday

Thursday, May 19, 2011

I had a funny dream last night. Or rather, early this morning. I’m not the sort of person who actually remembers any dreams but this must have been one of those you have on the brink of waking and then remember in technicolour glory.


Anyway, there I was walking back from the shops (in my dream), when I met Mr. Kitchen Hand and the MCs at the top of our driveway. Apparently we had to go to the nearby cafe for breakfast because he’d just injured himself and we couldn’t have breakfast at home. (So food obsessed right? Best way to deal with emergency is to head to the nearest cafe).

Upon quizzing Mr. Kitchen Hand, I learned that he had used a faulty electric toothbrush (still dreaming here, we don’t own electric toothbrushes) which electrocuted his jaw and caused a molar to eject painfully from the gum! (Stay with me here).

So we needed to go to the cafe as he needed to drink an iced coffee. He’d spoken to a friend who had suffered a similar fate (electric toothbrush malfunction causing gum ejection), and was advised that he needed to eat lots of ice to combat the effects of electrocution.

The dream ended with me trying to explain Mr. Kitchen Hand’s predicament to the receptionist at the Doctor’s office. She couldn’t stop laughing. Last thing I remembered before waking up, was joking about how at least the injury “wouldn’t affect his bluetooth communication”. (blew - tooth, get it?).

When I told Mr. Kitchen Hand about the dream, he just looked at me funny and said, “You were punning in your dream?”

So there you go. Just in case you didn’t realise how terribly addicted I am to bad puns.



What has the dream got to do with the cookies in the photos is anybody’s guess. Perhaps I could tie it in by telling you these are the kind of cookies you’ll dream about. Or at least the kind your child’s friends beg for a taste of in the playground. I feel really cruel because I’d love to send lots in for MC Senior to share with her friends but the school has a “no-sharing food” policy (in case of allergies). I’m quite sure she surreptitiously snuck a couple of bites to her closest pals though (friends with no dietary restrictions of course!).

Please head over to my friend Hungry Dog’s place for the triple chocolate walnut cookie recipe. It’s from her cousin, who adapted a recipe by Martha Stewart. I followed every instruction precisely, except I swapped pecans for walnuts. And I baked one batch nut-free so MC Senior could take it to school. I found that these cookies actually taste better the next day, after the flavours get to mature a bit. And please use the Dutch processed cocoa, it really makes a difference.

Enjoy the rest of the week, and sweet dreams :)

12 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm going to give my electric toothbrush a serious second look this morning, Shaz! :) I don't remember my dreams very often either, but when I do, they sure are odd.]
Hungry Dog has a super blog so I'm going over to check out this recipe!

Hungry Dog said...

Thanks for the shout out, shaz! And so glad you tried (and liked) the cookies. You're right, they ARE better the next day. I'm going to have to whip some up this weekend.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

When we were growing up Shaz, kongsi food in the canteen with friends were such a happy time at school. These days so many restriction and of course allergies. I wonder what went wrong. I made a link to one of my fav recipe in your blog in my recent post. Hope you don't mind.

Beth said...

What a great dream. Your cookies look awesome!

shaz said...

Barbara - I even looked twice at my non-electric toothbrush!

Hungry Dog - no worries. We LOVE these cookies, it will definitely be a go-to when we feel like a chocolate hit. And they seem to keep really well too (yes, we held off from scarfing them all at once).

Malay-Kadazan girl - They do occasionally get to share food when they have a class party but I think everyone is just really worried about some poor kid getting hurt or worse. (There was a big review I think after a horrible case some years ago involving peanut butter at a school camp).

By the way, thanks for the shout out!

Beth - they also taste super awesome :)

Petra said...

That is hilarious! I am glad I am not the only one that has wacky dreams :P

Indie.Tea said...

I am literally smiling reading about your dream and the accident. Its just so adorably funny! I don't have funny dreams...
And the cookies sound delicious.

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I love crinkle cookies...and dreams. Sometimes, we thank God they stay suspended in the imaginary world, don't we?

muppy said...

That dream really is quite amusing :) and your cookies are making me drool, i like that they taste better the next day.

grace said...

what a blessing that you remembered that particular dream. it'd be a shame if that pun was lost in la-la land. :)

shaz said...

Petra - I'm sure we're not the only ones :)

Indie.Tea - really? Not even one slightly amusing dream?

Kitchen Butterfly - oh I never knew these were called crinkle cookies. What a great name.

muppy - they taste SO good. Thanks for popping by :)

grace - I knew you'd appreciate the pun :)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

This looks fantastic! Great combination of textures with the fudgy cookie and crunchy nuts I'm sure!