Can you tell me how to get to Malaysian Monday?

Monday, June 20, 2011

Unfortunately, the Malaysian food is nowhere to be found today, but I can tell you how to get to Sesame Street inspired cupcakes :)

My dear friend S volunteers her time with an organisation that provides mentoring and support for young mums. They also organise fun activities like cake decorating. Which is how I found my way to running a cupcake filled workshop this morning.





Inspiration for these cupcakes came from this fantastic post on a blog called Lovely Sprinkles. The coconut covered cookie monster came from another post that I can't remember the link to, sorry. 
I spread red(dish) buttercream on a cupcake and spiked it with a fork for Elmo. The Cookie Monster is iced using just a baking paper piping bag (no tip). This was to keep things simple for the workshop. The other cookie Monster is covered with a bit of buttercream, then coated in coloured dessicated coconut with a mini choc-chip cookie stuck in his mouth. Elmo and Cookie have half-Oreo mouths, half marshmallow eyes, with dried currants for pupils.


Fondant shapes on buttercream for Bert and Ernie. The hair and Bert's monobrow is made from cut up licorice straps, the mouths are from red snake lollies, Ernie's nose is a Smartie and Bert's nose is fondant. The MCs have requested their very own Sesame St. cupcake deco workshop this week, so stand-by for more :)

Prep for the workshop took up a lot of the weekend, which is why I had to let Malaysian Monday go this week, but I had such a blast introducing the girls to the joys of fondant and buttercream that I didn’t mind too much. I hope you don’t either.

Here’s a snapshot of what the participants achieved in about an hour. Pretty impressive eh?









Malaysian Monday should return next week (fingers crossed), and in the meantime if you happen to make any Malaysian dishes, please send them in to Suresh from 3 Hungry Tummies who is hosting the Muhibbah Malaysian Monday round-up next month. Email him at : sureshchong(at)yahoo(dot)com

Thanks for stopping by and hope your week starts on a fun note too. Today’s post was brought to you by the letter C (for Cookie and Cupcakes) and the number 1 (cos you’re number one). :)

11 comments:

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Wah. All so cute. I think I should take baking class after I complete my studies. When rain and night keep me away from my little kebun. At least indoor I can do some baking:).

Hungry Dog said...

How fun, and what a good cause! Your cakes are always so creative (and I am sure delicious!).

Fiona said...

I love those cookie monster cupcakes! So simple too! This week my oven door exploded (literally), alarmingly at 3 in the morning, glass everywhere, so no baking until a new door arrives.

The landlord said "Dont worry, was just cheap Chinese oven using non-standard glass!" We're upgrading to 'standard' glass for the new door...strangely I'm not fully reassured by this.......;P

Juliana said...

Wow, these cupcakes are so cute...
Have a wonderful week Shaz :-)

grace said...

your bert and ernie are spot-on! as usual, i'm impressed and delighted by your skills!

Beth said...

Just adorable! What kid wouldn't love those cupcakes?

Vanille said...

Your post brings a smile on my face !
It looks like you all had fun during this workshop ;)
All those colours cheer me up - so gray around here...

Barbara said...

Those are so cute, Shaz. I wish I were more artistic! Looks like I need a workshop like that one!

shaz said...

Malay-Kadazan girl - I'm sure you'll make a great baker. Maybe one day if we ever meet in person we can bake together :)

Hungry Dog - thank you, the girls certainly seemed to enjoy it. I was quite surprised actually at how adept they were, and they were so quick too.


Fiona - Oh dear, how scary. Well at least you have been reassured of a high -standard door replacement ;)

Juliana - thanks so much. You too.

grace - aww thanks dear. I loved making Bert and Ernie, but I think cookie monster is my favourite, with his googly eyes.

Beth - My own little ones were so taken I had to have a cupcake decorating session today so they could make some!

Vanille - glad it brightened your day a little. We had a week of horrible weather, at least the sun is shining again, but the wind is freezing. (it really is!)

Barbara - They are actually pretty simple to do especially the coconut covered one. But they do look quite impressive.

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

I can see why you had a blast while making these. They are gorgeous! I sm sure the kids at the workshop will be thrilled to bits!

shaz said...

Thanks Shirley, it was so fun, I did another batch with my own kids :)