In the sunshine, and a challenge.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Happy Friday! We’ve been enjoying some gorgeous days over here. Definitely makes winter a lot more bearable :)

How to enjoy a perfect sunshiny day?

Start with one perfectly boiled egg*.



Add an amazing view, and some salad leaves or two. Also throw in some pecans and slivered pear.



Pack a little jar of seasoned olive oil and lemon juice for dressing, and dig in.
Bask in the sunshine while watching serious joggers huff and puff past!


(Pardon the not very photogenic container)


Wander off to the Art Gallery to check out the last few days of the Archibald Prize**.

Perfect.

The challenge I wanted to tell you about ? It’s called the 365 challenge. The team at Murdoch Books put together the challenge to cook every single recipe from Stéphane Reynaud’s 365 Good Reasons to Sit down to Eat, one dish at a time, over the course of a whole year. Yes, sort of Julie and Julia style, just involving lots of different bloggers. I’d first heard about the challenge from Ellie at Almost Bourdain . This is the line I responded to : “If you'd like to be part of the challenge too, just send an email to meetus(at)murdochbooks.com.au with '365' in the subject line, and they'll get in touch with you.” If this sounds like something you’d like to be part of, do drop them a line, I had great fun taking part.

You can read about my challenge here. The dish was Pissaladiere. Very tasty pissaladiere too, I might add.



Have a great weekend and see you soon.

*Everyone has their own tricks to boiling an egg. I start with the eggs barely covered by cold water, in a covered pan. Bring to the boil, and when it starts boiling vigorously, lower the heat slightly so it is simmering well but not boiling over. Put the timer on for 3 minutes. Scoop out the eggs when the timer beeps and place in a bowl of cool water. If the water in the bowl warms up, change the water again until the eggs are cold. The resulting eggs will have just set centres. For firmer centres, boil for 4 minutes. (Starting with cold eggs and cold water stops the shells from cracking).

** Actually, I had this alfresco lunch last Friday. Today I spent gardening, just as much fun but with less food involved :)

7 comments:

Beth said...

What a lovely picnic. I hope to visit your city someday. It's so beautiful!

Karen said...

Shaz, your pissaladiere looks super tasty! If only I liked olives. :-( The smell alone gives me the creeps... I love the post you wrote for the 365 challenge. :-)

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

If I am planning to have boil egg. I usually just cook it in the ricecooker together with beras. The same thing with telur masin too...hehehe...so less pot to wash.

Hungry Dog said...

The salad looks great. That egg yolk is so orange--beautiful! I'll check out your post at the 365 blog too.

Happy friday, shaz!

Cheah said...

I've never been to Sydney .... hope to do so, one day!

Fiona said...

Do you often eat boiled eggs in full view of Sydney Opera House? Lucky duck!

shaz said...

Beth - I do hope you make it here one day, I'll show you the picnic spot :)

Karen- Thanks for visiting the post I wrote for 365, much appreciated :)

Malay-Kadazan girl - good idea. BUt I don't own a rice cooker! (Shocking right?)

Hungry Dog - thanks dear, it was a lovely friday.

Cheah - Please visit! Would love to meet you in person.

Fiona - Not often enough ;)