Blood, sweat and macarons.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Now that I have your attention, let me reassure you that the blood is not human. It’s the name of a fruit - the native blood lime.

A punnet of these strikingly hued citrus followed me home from the markets one Sunday.  They were rather expensive and I did hesitate, but I’m a sucker for interesting ingredients. When Mr. Kitchen Hand found out how much they cost* he did question what I was going to do with them and how I was going to get my money’s worth. Eeeek! Talk about performance anxiety. Inspiration just refused to turn up. I juiced one for a dressing and squeezed another into drinks but kept the bulk for something really special.


The Australian blood lime is a cross between a finger lime and a Rangpur lime. I found the taste milder than Tahitian limes (not as sour). When squeezed, the sacs or cells fall out individually and pop satisfyingly when crunched between the teeth :)


Finally, I made lime curd.




I know what you’re thinking. Lime curd isn’t exactly the most exciting dish in the world. But I was going to use the curd to fill macarons for Macattack.  A fitting end for such a pretty fruit, no?

As you’d probably have guessed, the theme for the June Mac Attack challenge was to create something with fruit. Deeba and Jamie asked us to incorporate fruit in any form or flavour.


Strawberry, blood lime macarons. To get the leafy part to stay between the shells, I sandwiched a flattened strawberry (slice off both "cheeks" and leave the middle) in between layers of strawberry puree.


Lime curd, even one with an interesting name, didn’t seem challenge-worthy enough, so I upped the fruit content by adding some cooked, pureed strawberries into the filling as well. The strawberries provided a much needed visual boost too. I’d been a bit disappointed by the colour of the blood lime juice, as I was expecting red instead of the greeny yellow that it turned out to be.


(There are flecks of red in the lime curd, from the lime zest)


Taste wise though, the curd and the macarons lived up to expectations. Strawberry and lime go so well together and provided a tangy twist to the sweet shells.

Truly fruitylicious ;)



Have a sweet weekend!

Recipes?
I was reading Xiaolu’s blog the other day and came across a link to Emboite, a blog written by macaron fanatics Brian and Liz. I decided to try out their macaron ratios which worked well for me.



Blood lime curd? I used my favourite super speedy lemon curd recipe by Stephanie Alexander, and used the juice of all my blood limes, with a little bit of lemon juice added (sorry I can’t remember exact amounts of each juice). The recipe can be found here at Cuisine.com.au. Although the curd was easy, juicing the tiny blood limes was a task and a half!

Strawberry puree - it’s almost a jam. I used 250g of coarsely chopped strawberries, 3 heaped tablespoons of sugar and juice from about 1/4 of a lemon. I cooked it over medium heat, mushing up the strawberries as I went along. Then I raised the heat a little  and boiled the mixture until thick enough for my purpose. I skimmed it as necessary when it was boiling.

* The organic blood limes cost $7.50 (AUD) a punnet but I saw them a day or two later at my local fruit shop for $5 a punnet.

19 comments:

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

You are so adventurous and creative. I have not seen them here yet. Oh Yummy!

Deeba PAB said...

These are divine looking, and I'm so thrilled each time I land up here & see the mac-magic you've created. What a great flavour combination, and what pretty macs Shaz! It was a JOY talking to you, and next time I'm gonna hop onto the boat and get to the 4th beach on Manly. Have to meet! Might be there in November for 2 days with the hub for a conference. Will call for sure.

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot said...

very interesting fruit.. from what it looks from the photos, the skin has a texture of lemon/lime, skin colour of a plum, shaped like a kiwi/lemon? hehe and after all that guessing, you cut in and hey it's a lime!

DD said...

this is first time i hear about them!!! the pics are wonderful!!!! very nice dessert!!!!thnx for lovely post!!!
Happy Blogging!!!!
Food Blog News Daily
Good Food Recipes

muppy said...

I am such a sucker for expensive weird ingredients at the markets too. And i love curd so it sounds like the perfect idea to use them, Your macarons are gorgeous, mine have never been a great success.

Janine said...

Oooh I didn't see them when I was around in Sydney though - although I saw other interesting fruits like tangelos ;p

I have to admit your strawberry shaped macarons look fantastic though and the idea of curd and puree sounds absolutely delicious - in fact I think the red and yellow formed a really nice shade of orange/pink that I saw in your photos - lovely!

Sylvia said...

You are very creative, love the strawberry shape on your macaroons. Lovely

Lora said...

These are just fantastic. The strawberry shapes are so great. Love the blood limes as well. Great job as always.

hicookery said...

Love the strawberry-shaped macs the best! Very creative presentation and what an interesting type of lime. Never saw those before so thanks for introducing that unique fruit on Mactweets.

Phuoc'n Delicious said...

I've been seeing these blood limes popping up on the bloggersphere recently, this is the third recipe I've seen this week! Your macs look cute! Love how they look like strawberries and how you've incorporated the leaf into it. Good work!

Jill Colonna said...

Blood lime curd? Sounds incredible. First time I've seen such amazing looking fruit; and what a creative combination with the beautiful strawberry shaped macarons. Truly stunning!

Beth said...

I love your beautiful little macarons. And I think lime curd is plenty exciting!

Karen said...

Wow, Shaz your macs look perfect! I've never seen or eaten blood limes, but I can only imagine how divine those macs tasted. Awesome combination! :-)

shaz said...

Aw, thanks everyone, much appreciated

Heavenly Housewife said...

What a beautiful and fascinating fruit, I've never seen them before. Equally daaaaahling, your macs are so impressive. These are so pretty and summery.
*kisses* HH

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Wow, you learn everyday. I just ordered a pack of finger limes (from Australia) through my local shop and now I discover they have offspring???? I love the curd

Hungry Dog said...

Thought I already commented on this--have popped over a couple of times to reread it, as I have never heard of blood limes before. How gorgeous! Wish I could find them here in SF.

grace said...

blood oranges? i know them and i love them. blood limes? i had no idea! what a terrific introduction, shaz--thanks!

RollerScrapper said...

These are super adorable and I learned something new about blood limes...who knew?!