Malaysian Monday 78: Nasi Kunyit (Tumeric Rice/ Sticky yellow rice).

Monday, July 25, 2011

Happy Monday everyone, and thank you for all the well wishes. I’m almost back to normal but still need my rest, so this post is going to be very short and sweet.



Nasi kunyit literally translates to Tumeric Rice. It is usually made from glutinous rice, and is served as a rich side dish. This rice often makes an appearance at celebratory meals, and is often accompanied by chicken curry. Actually, the rice goes well with any sort of dish with sauce.

I really enjoy this dish, and will pick it over plain rice if it is featured on the menu. Unfortunately, the rest of the family aren't as taken. Both the MC's liked the little bit they tasted, but refused seconds. Mr. Kitchen Hand was a non-starter.

If you would like to try your hand at making this, it’s really quite simple to throw together :

Nasi Kunyit (Yellow Sticky Rice)
3/4 cup glutinous rice - soak for a little while, at least half an hour, but better if you have time to soak it for about 5 - 6 hours.
pinch of salt
pinch of white peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
3/4 cup coconut milk

Drain the rice well, mix with all the ingredients except the coconut milk, and place in a heatproof bowl and steam for about 10-15 minutes. Add the coconut milk, gently stir to mix through, then steam until cooked, about another 10-15 minutes.

See? So simple even an invalid could do it.

Remember, I’ll be hosting the next Muhibbah Malaysian Monday round-up, so please send  your entries to its(dot)sharon(at)gmail(dot)com. MMM is a joint collaboration between Suresh of 3 Hungry Tummies and yours truly.

Thanks for joining me for a yellow dished Malaysian Monday ;) , see you soon.

10 comments:

My Little Space said...

Hmm..mm.. Haven't taken this for a very long time! I love this with rendang. Slurp.... Salivating already.lol!
Btw, happy Monday & have a great week ahead, dear.
Kristy

Keely aka The Richest Girl in Bondi said...

I do love ordering this when I'm out. I've never made it myself though - guess I'll have to now!

3 hungry tummies said...

Glad you are feeling better!
I made this over the weekend, great minds think alike heh! :)

MaryMoh said...

Mmmmm....love this with curry!

Heavenly Housewife said...

This is the perfect compliment to a nice curry. I've got to say though, I hate working with tumeric, its a nightmare to get rid of the stains off my white countertops.
*kisses* HH

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

I used to eat this and looking forward of getting it from weddings when I was a child.Happy that you feel a little bit better now.

shaz said...

Thanks everyone :)

Hungry Dog said...

Mm, this sounds good to me. And so glad you are on the mend! No fun being under the weather.

Juliana said...

Shaz, I love the sticky rice, but have to admit that had it this way with tumeric and coconut milk...can almost taste it...YUMMIE!
Hope you are having a wonderful week :-)

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Glad you're on the mend - I love yellow rice, I love turmeric....I add it to a lot of things even when its not on the ingredient list - for its health benefits! Take care