That’s the way the crumble crumbles

Thursday, July 28, 2011




It’s been a tough couple of weeks. First I caught some sort of yucky virus which knocked me flat for about a week. Then we’ve had issues with our apartment (won’t bore you with the details) which means we have to pack up, find somewhere else to stay and move out, all on very short notice. Suffice to say, I have a lot on my mind at the moment, so do pardon my posts, or lack thereof, for the next few weeks. Sadly, I even missed this month’s Daring Bakers challenge, which would have marked two years with the group. Ah well.

Our meals during this time have been rather “blunt”. “Blunt” is Mr. Kitchen Hand’s term to describe food that lacks finesse. The bluntness stems from my efforts of using the bare minimum to make up a dish so that I don’t overstock the fridge before we move.

I’ve also been working on emptying the contents of the freezer, which is how this cherry crumble (crisp) came about. I’d saved a couple of bags of summer cherries, hoping to turn them into jam, or pie at least. But desperate times called for super-quick measures.

There’s no real recipe as such, I started with as many cherries as would fit into a buttered ceramic baking dish, tossed a few tablespoons of sugar through the fruit, and added the zest of a lemon. For the topping, I used about 80g plain flour, 60g butter, a heaped tablespoon or so of rolled oats, a handful of roasted hazelnuts, a teaspoon of baking powder, a dash of cinnamon and a couple of tablespoons of caster sugar. First all the dry ingredients were pulsed in the food processor, then I added the butter and processed until the mixture looked like breadcrumbs. This mix was scattered over the cherries and the whole lot bunged into the oven while I went off and packed more boxes. When the crumble smelt heavenly and was golden brown on top and bubbling juices were spilling over the edge of the dish, I knew it was ready (about half an hour).

Hot, sweet crumble and a dollop of vanilla ice-cream did a lot to restore the spirits :)

Have a great weekend. And hope to see you round here very soon.

13 comments:

Anh said...

I love that kind of dessert. Crumble = yum!

grace said...

there's nothing like the power of fruit topped with butter and sugar to mend one's body and spirit! :)

Barbara said...

Sorry you're having so many issues at one time, Shaz. I hope your cherry crumble made things look just a little brighter!

Vanille said...

Shaz, I hope everything will settle down very soon. At least good to read you do feel better after this nasty virus, we are all prone to get in winter...
I like crumble, so versatile and comforting !
Take care Shaz and enjoy your week-end too.

Beth said...

I love the description of blunt food. I hope you're feeling better soon and I'm sorry to hear about the move. Doesn't sound like you're having a lot of fun right now.

Deeba PAB said...

Bakes, stone fruit, crumbles... stuff my dreams are mae up of! Glad you are better. We've just been through a household of folk with the virus, nasty in every sense, and empathise with you. This must have put the spirit right back into you...and poor Mr Deprived Kitchen Hands! He does sound sweet you know ... much like my pre-teen!
Much love to you... xoxox

Karen said...

Oh no, Shaz! That sounds awful having to move on such short notice. I hope you can kick that virus soon and the move will go smooth...and soon you'll be back to cooking dishes with finesse, like you always do. Looking forward to having you back in the blogosphere soon. All the best!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Hope everything will go well and you settle in pretty fast. But remember to take care of yourself too, not to overwork.

shaz said...

Thank you dear friends, I'm feeling much better now, especially after your messages of support :)

Zurin said...

Sorry to hear about your virus infection Shaz. Hope youre feeling better now. Take care and go easy on the moving. Hope youll find a better place.
the crumble looks and sounds so good. Glad it brought your spirits up :)

Hungry Dog said...

Ah, sounds like a rough spot for you guys. Good luck finding a new place and with your move. On the bright side, this crumble looks crumb-tastic! And I like the Mr. KH's description of "blunt" food. I totally get it. I've been known to make quite a few blunt meals myself during times of stress. Good luck with everything, shaz! xoxo

shaz said...

Thanks Zurin :)

Thank you Hungry Dog - it's getting much better now :)

Sasa said...

YOU'VE just moved too, and how remiss, it's taken me this long to notice. I hope you're all settled in now though and better, everyone seems to be sick...Dang winter.