Malaysian Monday 79: Bubur Pulut Hitam (Black glutinous rice pudding)

Monday, August 15, 2011

Happy Monday everyone! Feels good to be back in the groove again.

Unsurprisingly, after all the unsettling events of the past couple of weeks, coupled with a return to chilly weather, I was craving some comfort food. This Bubur Pulut Hitam or Black Glutinous Rice pudding had everything going for it. Not only is it sweet, warm, delicious and filling, it reminds me of the childhood home. Mum used to cycle off to the markets most mornings, and she’d always bring back some snacks for us kids. This pudding often made an appearance and we’d devour it for a late breakfast or morning tea.



Sometimes she’d cook up a big pot of it at home, and that never lasted very long either :)

The name black rice is a bit of a misnomer, even though the finished pudding is very dark, I think the colour is more a luxurious deep purple rather than black. It’s a very visually arresting dish, and when served in clear glasses topped with thick coconut milk, it does look quite special.

As far as desserts go, this one is really simple to make. There are two tips to follow that will ensure success. First, pre-soak the black glutinous rice grains as this helps the rice cook faster and more evenly. Secondly, don’t add the sugar until the rice is almost cooked.  Apart from this, feel free to tweak away. Some cooks add the coconut milk to the pudding as it cooks, others add some form of thickener or flavouring. I like it pure and simple.

Have a great start to the week and remember, my friend Suresh from 3 Hungry Tummies will be hosting the Muhibbah Malaysian Monday round-up so send your entries to him at sureshchong(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Also, the end of the month of August marks Hari Merdeka (Malaysian Independence day), and Pick Shan who blogs at Babe in KL will be hosting a Merdeka Open house with the theme “Makan through Malaysia”, so do pop by to visit and contribute too.




The soaked grains turn the water purple.


Bubur pulut hitam
(Black glutinous rice pudding)

1 1/2 cup black glutinous rice (soaked overnight - use enough water to cover the grains by a couple of inches)
1/4 cup gula melaka  (dark palm sugar)
1/4 cup caster sugar (or to taste)
pinch salt
Water - I started out with 4 cups (250mlx4) and then added another 1 1/4 cups during cooking
pinch of salt.
(if you have it, add some knotted pandan leaves to the rice when cooking, this adds fragrance to the dish)

Thick coconut milk mixed with a little salt, to serve

Drain the rice, place in a sieve and rinse well. Place the rice and about 4-5 cups water in a pan and bring to the boil. Partially cover the pan, then boil until the rice is tender and the mixture looks thick and “puddingy”. Add a bit more water if drying out too quickly. Do not cover the pan completely or the rice will boil over.

When the rice is just tender (took me about half an hour or so), add the sugar and salt, stir well, and cook for a further ten minutes. Taste and adjust sweetness if necessary.

Remove from heat and serve warm or at room temperature. Drizzle with coconut milk before eating.

Simple and sweet.

13 comments:

Fiona said...

Simple and delicious! I'm intrigued by he adition of salt to the coconut cream - does it intensify the flavour?

Shaz I'm nominating you for Tripbase's Seven Links Project, where you share seven of your best/most popular/most controversial posts with readers. Would love to see your seven!

Cheers, Fiona

Janine said...

mmm yum! this was one of my comfort foods during winter (along with red bean soup and green bean soup) - your posts makes me wanna soak some rice today and make them for tmr! :D

Tina said...

Hi Shaz! This is no 1 on my list of favourite dessert bubur... followed by bubur gandum. You are right about the colour - a luxurious deep purple which is very classy, I think! thanks for sharing this - always been intimidated to make this... I should make this for buka puasa one of these days!

Charmaine said...

One of my favourite desserts. Would love a bowl of that now esp in winter.

Heavenly Housewife said...

I've never had anything like this, but it looks really pretty. I love that dark colour, it makes for quite a dramatic dessert!
*kisses* HH

Hungry Dog said...

There's nothing more comforting than food that reminds you of your childhood. Black rice is so pretty. Thanks for sharing!

3 hungry tummies said...

Oh this brings me back to my sweet childhood! I really must make some soon but I will be the only one eating :)

Cheah said...

Yes, I like this 'tong sui' too but will try to have it minus the coconut milk topping ..... but then it doesn't give the oomph! Yours look so mouthwatering, especially the last picture ....slurpppp!

Juliana said...

Shaz, I never had glutinous rice in a pudding form, but know that will like it since I love glutinous rice.
Hope you are having a great week :-)

grace said...

i'm waffling back and forth a bit here--on one hand, a black dish like this is a bit disconcerting, but on the other hand, it looks completely satisfying!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Nice comfort food!YUmmy

shaz said...

Fiona - I'm not sure about intensifying the flavour, I think it's more of a contrast, quite salty against the sweet. Also, I think the salt may have acted as a preservative? Maybe?

Thanks for the nomination, must trawl through old posts now :)

Janine - I love red bean soup too, but funnily I don't like green bean soup!

Tina - oh yes, I love bubur gandum. Actually I was very surprised this was quite easy to make.

Charmaine - Feel like making more now to warm up :)

Heavenly Housewife - it doesn't taste all that dramatic though, just nice and comforting.

Hungry Dog - I think part of the reason I love this dessert is the colour.

3 hungry tummies - same here, I ended up sharing only a little bit with MC Senior, then had to eat the rest myself. Breakfast snack, lunch snakc, dinner snack, he he.

Cheah - yes, yes, no oomph. Small bit of coconut milk is ok right?

Juliana - it's more like a soup than a pudding but I thought that described it better.

grace - I know, it looks a bit scary doesn't it? But I can assure you it tastes sweet and creamy.

Malay-Kadazan girl - thanks dear.

Karen said...

I'm a total sucker for black rice pudding with coconut milk, and seeing this most delicious treat on your blog reminded me that I haven't made one in too long. I could easily eat it for breakfast every day. :-))