Muhibbah Malaysian Monday Round-Up #13

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Happy Monday everyone, and once again it’s time for a round-up. Thank you to everyone who contributed something to our event, we truly appreciate your support.


Let’s start this week by welcoming a couple of newcomers.

Say hi to Nadia who blogs at To live with passion’s simplicity . She takes us on a little culinary tour of Muar, a town in the state of Johor, Malaysia, and introduces some very interesting delicacies. For example, there’s Mee Pusing (translated as Spun Noodles), something I’d never heard of before.

 Mee pusing


She also ate some delicious sounding Nasi Ambeng, another delicacy I’d never heard of before!



Thanks Nadia for teaching me something new.

Our other newcomer is Rita who blogs at Rita’s basket, and she made some yummy steamed yam cake for us. Check out her beautiful plating skills.



How pretty is this?

Argh! I am so sorry, I accidentally missed out another newcomer to our flock. Please welcome Jehanne from The Cooking Doctor who served up some tasty Chicken Rendang. She's tweaked this dish so it uses minimal ingredients and time, perfect for the busy cook.



Of course, our event wouldn’t amount to anything without the support of all our long-time friends who keep on contributing!


Here’s Gert from My Kitchen Snippets who gives us Inchi kabin/ nyonya fried chicken. Intrigued by the sound of this? Read the post to find out how the dish was named.


Interestingly named fried chicken.


She also made some jemput pisang/ banana fritters and gave it a lovely presentation twist using chocolate.

 
Who doesn't like chocolate?


Next we have Lisa from My lemony kitchen who made some Hakka bamboo dumplings. This is another dish I’d never eaten before, and it sounds very interesting as the dumpling skin contains yam.


Yum, dumplings!


Cheah from No Frills Recipes is no stranger to this event, and contributed three dishes, thank you!

Try the sweet fluffy steamed sponge cake flavoured with black sesame for a delicious treat.

Flecks of black sesame add oomph to this cake


Or if you’re not into cake, how about the Sea coconut ad snow fungus sweet soup?. Guaranteed to cool you down.

 The ring shaped piece is the sea coconut.

She also cooked an intriguing savoury soup of fish bladder and spare ribs. I’m not sure if I’ve ever eaten fish bladder before. Have you?



Up next is Biren from Roti and Rice who made one of my favourite tea-time snacks Ondeh ondeh. This snack uses sweet potato for the dough, giving it a lovely orange colour.


Look at that filling!


She also made two types of pao (steamed buns), using special bao flour. If you’re interested in seeing the effects of using other types of flour to make pao, do check out her post.


Perfect pao


Next let’s say hello to Zurin from Cherry on a cake who made a delectably named ayam masak madu (spicy honey chicken), a dish which was featured on a guest post at Rasa Malaysia. (I’m sure that blog needs no introduction!).


Spicy, honey chicken

She also made cekodok (banana bites), and has a great tip for using rice flour to give the bites some chewiness.




How cute are those picks?

And to finish with a bang (heh, sorry couldn’t resist), check out her kuih bom (sweet potato bombs), a snack made using sweet potato and coconut.


Pretty bombs

Actually, we had more than one bomb this time. Diana from Kebun Malay-Kadazan Girls also gave us kuih bom, using sweet potato grown in her own garden.


More bombs!

She’s a fantastic gardener, and used more home-grown produce to make Talam labu (pumpkin cake), and talam keledek (Sweet potato cake).


How vibrant!

Next we have Shuhan, from Mummy I can cook who made some satay and a speedy shortcut satay sauce.


Why do I suddenly crave satay?


Then she used the leftover sauce to makestir-fried green beans. Waste not, want not :) Delicious!




Fresh and tasty

Ooops! Sorry to our regular contributor Kristy from My Little Space, I almost missed her out! She made three tasty treats for us.

 First a herbal soup packed with flavour, called Jiao Zi Yang Shen soup. Jiao Zi is a type of dumpling, and Yang shen is a type of medicinal herb.

A herbal soup with dumplings

Then there's a delicious looking crispy skin chicken. If you've ever wondered how to get that crisp, shiny, restaurant quality skin, Kristy shows you how.

Oooh, shiny skin!

And then she made some very pretty Roti Jala / Net bread. Yummy!

Lacy bread

And of course, Muhibbah Malaysian Monday would not be complete without my friend Suresh from 3 hungry tummies. He made some yummy looking white-cut chicken.




Hungry yet?


He also made a very hearty looking aromatic soy braised pork belly, perfect to combat the winter chill.


Warmth on a plate

And last but not least, he showed us step-by-step instructions for making his aunty’s curry puffs. Don’t they look great?


Pleated puffs ready to be deep-fried.


Once again, thank you everyone for sending in your entries. The next round-up will be hosted by Suresh, so please send you entries to sureshchong(at)yahoo(dot)com. Don’t forget to add a badge and link back to both Suresh and myself in you post.

Have a great start to the week and happy cooking!

18 comments:

Heavenly Housewife said...

Wow, what a delicious array of fabulous and exotic foods. Which one is mine?
Hope you are having a great weekend.
*kisses* HH

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Thank you for hosting! Always looking forward to MMM so I can have some ideas what to cook. Take care.

cikmanggis said...

Wow..semuanya best best belaka.Insyallah next MMM Cm kena Join ni:)..tahniah to Diana satu posting yg menarik.

shaz said...

HH - you can has them all ;)


MK girl - thank you so much for taking part. I really want to try your kuih talam.

CM - harap dapat join next time ya? Post Diana memang menarik.

lena said...

sorry didnt manage to submit my entry last month but will have this month!

Juliana said...

Shaz, what a delicious round-up...they all look so so tempting. Thanks for introducing so many new people.
Hope you have a fantastic week ahead :-)

Cheah said...

Thank you Shaz! A job well done!

shaz said...

No problems Lena, glad you made it this month

Thanks Juliana and Cheah!

My Little Space said...

Hola, good job everyone! What a fabulous MMM party. Nice to see you all today.
Have a great day!
Blessings, Kristy

Jehanne@thecookingdoctor.co.uk said...

Hi a bit disappointed ad i posted9 my rendang recipe a while back but you didnt put it up on the round-up:-(

shaz said...

Thanks very much Kristy.

Oops, sorry Jehanne, added you in now. I accidentally missed you because I work on the round-up based on emails I received telling me that a MM post is up. Unfortunately I don't think I received an email for this post. But all's well that ends well :)

Vanille said...

Everything look delicious ! That net bread is really interesting and the curry puffs are beautiful !
Hungry now...

Lisa H. said...

Good job Shaz.. sure makes me hungry looking at these gorgoeus bites...

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Thanks for hosting Shaz! Everything looks so delicious it is making me hungry. I am loving MMM as it reminds me of so many of the delicious food that I am missing.

Jehanne said...

thanks shaz for adding me in, my apologies I think I forgot to email you..i shall do that for future post next time:-)

Beth said...

I've never tried fish bladder either! What a great roundup -- all those sweet potato dishes look great!

shaz said...

Vanille - I get hungry every time I do this round up ;)

Lisa H. - thank you dear and thank you for taking part!

Biren @ Roti n Rice - thanks for joining and yes it's so good to get so much inspiration for all the food we miss.

Jehanne - No problems dear, thank you so much for taking part and looking forward to your next mouth watering dish.

Beth - I adore sweet potato

Rita said...

Hi Shaz
Thks for including my Steamed Chinese Yam Cake in the MMM party :-)
I'm so happy to see so many participants with their delicious-looking food.
Drooling over them now :-D

Rgds / Rita