A short pie(ce)

Friday, August 19, 2011


Brrr, it’s cold, wet, and windy. And I wish I still had some pie.  But the pie is no more.



 
Actually it was polished off last weekend when we had Nana and Pop hand over for a visit. (Thanks again for taking us to Mary Poppins, Nana!).

Would you believe I’ve never made a strawberry and rhubarb pie before? In fact, I’d never even heard of the combination until I started reading blogs. But I had leftover rhubarb to use up, and the Queensland grown strawberries were very affordable, so I gave it a whirl.





Yup, definitely a winning combination (made even more luxurious by the addition of a vanilla bean). I definitely won’t wait too long before making this again.





Have a great weekend and stay warm :)

(To make the pie, I blind baked a shortcrust pastry shell, then filled it with about 2 cups chopped rhubarb, 250g strawberries (cleaned, hulled and chopped), about 4 heaped tablespoons raw caster sugar and 1 scraped vanilla bean. I topped this with more shortcrust pastry, gave it an eggwash, then baked the lot until golden. The flavour is on the tart side, but that’s the way I like it. Add more sugar if a sweeter fix is needed.)




13 comments:

Janine said...

oh boy how could you not have heard about strawberry and rhubarb before? You've gotta make up for all that lost opportunities!

When I was in Sydney a few months back, I totally gorged on rhubarbs and indulged in strawberries (since they weren't in season yet) and made lots of jam with it! It's really nice :D Ps, that combination plus almond frangipane is a match made in heaven too :D oh and white chocolate is a good idea as well ;p

Marcellina said...

Oooh yum! Just bought some cheap strawberries yesterday!Guess what, I have never tried rhubarb! Yep, I must try this!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

nampak so sedap. Wish I can have a bite.

Hungry Dog said...

Sounds fantastic. STrawberry and rhubarb is a classic combination, one that makes me salivate just thinking about it. Sweet-tart deliciousness.

Karen said...

Shaz, your pie came out perfect! I'm not the biggest fan of rhubarb (it's a bit too tart for me), but in combination with strawberries in your pie...I can easily be persuaded. :-)

Beth said...

I hear great things about Mary Poppins. Hope you liked it as much as that beautiful pie!

grace said...

i only recently came to know and love the strawberry-rhubarb combination, and it makes me sad to think of all those years without it!

Juliana said...

Like you I never had rhubarb but always see in blogs...it sure looks delicious the combination with strawberries.
Hope you have a wonderful week ahead Shaz :-)

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager said...

Ooh - what perfect timing for the glut of amazing plump winter strawberries available right now!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

A lovely combination and so perfect for winter. Must squeeze in as much comfort food as we can while the weather holds!

Lisa said...

I've never made a strawberry-rhubarb pie either, but if I could whip one out that looks as good as yours, I'd be quite haappy :)

shaz said...

Janine - I definitely have to make up for lost opportunities, and white choc sounds fantastic.

Marcellina - took me a while to try rhubarb too actually

Malay-Kadazan girl - I'd love to share :)

Hungry Dog - I'm particularly partial to tart flavours

Karen - the vanilla lent a really wonderful scent too.

Beth - we were quite blown away by MP, the girls absolutely loved it!

grace - well said, I too must make up for lost time.

Juliana - thanks, and hope your week is going well too.


Forager - we've been gorging ourselves silly on strawbs :)

Helen (Grab Your Fork) - I for one cannot wait for warmer weather

Lisa - the filling overflowed, but hey, I can live with that, it tasted so good :)

Lora said...

Strawberry Rhubarb is one of my favorite pies. Yours looks yummy!