Sweet wishes

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Not many more sleep to go now! The MC’s are fizzing with excitement, counting down the days, willing them to go faster. They have been itching to pack their bags and begin the trip down to Nana and Pop Hand’s place for Christmas.



But I can’t leave without a Christmas greeting can I? And what better way to do so than with some sweet candy cane macarons. This month, the ladies behind Mactweets gave us a very fitting challenge. “Seasons and Holidays” - a theme we had free reign to interpret as we wished.



 Initially, I had lots of ideas, but time was against me. And since deciding to take a stand against the usual end of year franticness, I took it easy and picked a tried and true recipe (from Adriano Zumbo, found here at Gourmet Traveller). I did make a couple of changes - instead of dividing the batter and colouring one part red, I used the brush striping technique (as seen on my first Christmas macs a couple of years ago). The macarons were piped in the usual round shape instead of candy cane shapes suggested in the recipe. For the filling, I already had some chocolate ganache on hand, so I melted down a candy cane and added that to the ganache along with a drop or two of peppermint oil.



I do have to come clean though. The other reason I picked this recipe was the fact that it used the more stable Italian method. Usually, I prefer the French method, it’s quicker and yields more delicate macarons (I think). But having suffered a massive fail earlier when attempting to bake a large batch of macarons for Mr. Kitchen Hand to take to work, I needed a confidence boost! I must have calculated the ratios wrong with that batch because the trays of macs looked as if they’d been through an earthquake.


Aaaah...run for the hills!

Don’t worry, none of those failed macs went to waste. I took 250g of the macarons, blitzed them finely in the food processor, then mixed this with 1 egg, 70g plain flour, 90g butter, 90g creme fraiche and 1 tsp baking powder. Ta-dah! The “Failed Macaron Cake” was born.   To ice, I simply melted some white chocolate, let it cool a little, then beat it into butter and icing sugar. Sorry, no measurements, I was just flying blind.



The cake went down very well, and my dear friend K insists I find another name for it as she thinks “Failed Macaron Cake” doesn’t do it justice :) And speaking of friends, to all of you out there in blog land, however you are celebrating (or not celebrating) this Christmas, have a safe and happy holiday, may you be surrounded by the people you love.

See you after the break, I should be back (if all things work out) on Daring Bakers reveal day.



Gratuitous photo of the MCs. They'd decided they wanted freckles, if you look closely, they've given themselves some with the aid of a texta!




"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night" 
x
Shaz

15 comments:

thelittleloaf said...

I made candy cane macarons for the challenge too! Yours look absolutely gorgeous - love the red swirls. And love that you turned your failed ones into a cake - genius!

Lora said...

I am all about that failed macaron cake. It came out almost as gorgeous as those stunning candy cane macarons. Happy holidays Shaz, to you and your lovely family. xoxox

Divya said...

Hahah..the failed macaron cake looks so good.

Happy Holidays, Shaz!

Norma Chang said...

Your candy cane macarons look stunning. You are sooooo creative.

Lisa said...

shaz - those candy cane macaron pops are gorgeous! I love how you repurposed the 'failed' macarons into that lovely cake! That's sheer talent..I'd never pull that off! Hope your holidays are wonderful and enjoy your break - see you on DB reveal day!! xoxo

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Oh wow what a nice cake you made from the failed macarons. Merry Christmas.

chocolatesuze said...

teehee i used to do the same with textas too! your candy cane macarons are super cute but your failed macaron cake has me intrigued! hope you and your family have a merry christmas!

Beth said...

Merry Christmas to you, too! I love the way you made an awesome cake from disaster!

Vanille said...

Merry merry Christmas to you Shaz and all your family !
Can't help but smile looking at your girls with freckles ;)

grace said...

cute picture, shaz! and i love the candy cane macarons--very seasonal and festive! kudos to you, too, for rescuing the not-so-great batch. :)

3 hungry tummies said...

Oh you have been busy :) Enjoy your holidays there on the South Coast xxx

pierre said...

i also wish you a scrumptious merry xmas!!pierre

LadyMacaron20ten said...

Your macaron cake looks to die for. And, I love your take on Zumbo's candy cane macarons. Pretty red swirls.

Deeba PAB said...

Are the two poppets CUTE or what Shaz. They are precious and just look at 'em freckles...LOL!! Love your take on the candy cane macarons. Beautiful swirls, and love 'run for the hills'. I can use that cake recipe with my failures. Wonderful to have you over at MacTweets! xo

RollerScrapper said...

Just like starlight mints! And that cake looks so Delicious!