A late Daring Bakers and a move to Sin City.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Well, hello there! Almost missed you amongst all the tumbleweeds :) Thanks for coming round, I’ve made some muffins for you.

The Daring Bakers challenge this month was a quickie, which was lucky since I’ve had hardly any baking time lately. Remember how I told you that I was starting post-grad study this year? Hoo-boy, has it started! The minutes have been chewed up with reading, forum discussions and worrying about impending assignments.

Any spare time I’ve had has been spent gearing up for a big move to Singapore. (Ok, so it’s the furthest thing from the Sin City of my title, but I had to get your attention somehow.) Mr. Kitchen Hand needed to move for work, and we were up for an adventure.  We leave in four weeks! And while we’re sad to leave Sydney, we know we’ll be coming back one day.

Now, back to the challenge.

The Daring Bakers’ February 2012 host was – Lis! Lisa stepped in last minute and challenged us to create a quick bread we could call our own. She supplied us with a base recipe and shared some recipes she loves from various websites and encouraged us to build upon them and create new flavor profiles.

(For those not in the know, Lisa and her friend Ivonne originally started the Daring Bakers in 2006. The “little baking group” went from the two of them, to goodness knows how many bakers today. If you’d like to read some DB history, you can find it here).

I was almost going to give the challenge a miss as we’re not really big fans of quickbreads or muffins. (Did you know a muffin is technically a quickbread? I didn’t.)  But, I just couldn’t resist a challenge that has this as a mandatory : “Can’t take more than 1.5 hours to prepare and bake through.”




Panela, yoghurt, rhubarb and ginger muffins


So I flicked through one of my favourite baking books, and a recipe caught my eye - brown sugar and ginger muffins. Oooh, I’ve been obsessing over panela lately. Panela is a type of brown sugar, the packet description is “evaporated sugar cane juice”.  The taste is gorgeous, with lovely caramel notes and quite a complex flavour. It tastes a lot like dark palm sugar, which I adore so I have to restrain myself from eating the panela straight from the packet!


I knew MC Junior would have issues with the chunks of crystallised ginger called for in the recipe though, so I swapped the ginger for rhubarb.  But I still wanted a mild ginger flavour in there, and used some of this ginger syrup, a gift from my mum in law that I’d stashed in the cupboard one day and forgot about. (Oh the things you find when moving!).



Next, I discovered I didn’t have any buttermilk handy, so I used some plain yoghurt instead. By this stage, I’d fiddled with the recipe so much, I was quite surprised the resulting muffins actually worked! Even more surprising was how much of a hit they were, even with the usually fussy Mr. Kitchen Hand and MC Junior.



I’m not tying the recipe here because it was such a random process I’m not sure how you’ll go trying to replicate it. But if I do find time to bake these again, I’ll double check all the measurements and share. Meanwhile, why not have a look at all the other goodies baked by my fellow Daring Bakers, you might find a few good recipes there.

Take care my friends, thanks for dropping by, I am still reading your blogs if not commenting as much and I’ll try and get back here very soon!




19 comments:

Renata said...

Hi Shaz, your muffins sound delicious! I had never heard the word "panela", but from your description, it is maybe like the Brazilian brown sugar which is basically evaporated cane juice. I always bring some with me to Korea. And yes, it's very easy to eat it out of the package :)
I wish you have a great time in Singapore, all the best to you!

Audax said...

The ginger muffin sounds delicious and great to hear that everybody like them so much. A great job on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Barbara said...

First of all, good luck with your move, Shaz!
And then...these muffins look wonderful. (Love your paper muffin liners) Sometimes when you don't have the right ingredients, things turn out even better!
(BTW: yes, coconut flour is really finely ground up coconut)

Barbara Bakes said...

I thought you were moving closer to me - Las Vegas! I can't believe you don't like quick bread and muffins. Rhubarb sounds fabulous in muffins. Good luck with your classes.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Oh fun! I love Singapore. And you will be a lot closer to Malaysia, which is just too cool! Ok I envy you. Looks like we will be moving closer to Malaysia too, from Oregon to London. This will cut the flight time back to Malaysia & Singapore from 16 hrs to just 8 hrs! :) Regardless, I hope to continue reading about your yummy food here.

Hungry Dog said...

Wow!! Big move! I admire you for being so adventurous. What fun you and your MC's will have, and of course we all will be eager to read about your new life. (Remind me on your grad program again?)

chef_d said...

Wow, those muffins look delicious!

Beth said...

What an exciting time in your life! No wonder you're so busy. Take care, and good luck with everything you're juggling.

Lora said...

Those are some mouthwatering muffins and best of luck to you and your family on your Singapore adventure.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Hope you have a smooth move to the Lion City. Good Luck with your study too. I am trying my best to complete my study this year.

Fiona Reilly said...

Hi Shaz, wonderful news on the move and can't wait to read more about it as you sample all of Singapore's great foods!
That Buderim Ginger syrup is something I miss here (Buderim is ony an hour from Brisbane, they have a great ginger farm you can visit). I sometimes use it as a glaze on fruit tarts - goes really well with mango or nectarine.

grace said...

love the muffins (and the muffin cups!). hope the move goes well--think of all the exploring you'll get to do!

Shannon @ JustAsDelish said...

welcome back to asia!

pierre said...

are you happy to move to Spore?!!Pierre

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Best of luck with the move Shaz! LD And these muffins look great! I sometimes experiment a bit too much and find that I veer so far from the the original recipe that I've lost track of where I'm going! :P

Juliana said...

Wow, your are moving to Singapore? And this muffins look great, and I like the ginger syrup in it...so interesting. I sure like how you mix and match ingredients ;-)
Good luck on your move...and hope to hear from you soon!

My Little Space said...

Oh dear, I bet you're now in the middle of a mess. Just 4 weeks away! Still so many to do & prepare. Good luck and Bon Voyage, lady. I'm sure you'll love S'pore too.
Take care.
Blessings
Kristy

shaz said...

cheers, thanks for the wishes everyone!

shaz said...

cheers, thanks for the wishes everyone!