Singapore snippets

Tuesday, April 24, 2012


Dusk at Marina Bay, Singapore



Well....

I didn’t really update the blog as promised huh? Ok, I may have seriously overestimated my ability to complete assignments while starting life in a new country. Oops.

But it hasn’t all been hard work. We’ve been exploring, catching up with friends, and of course eating ourselves a bit silly.

So do forgive the lull, check out our travel snaps and I’ll be back soon!


We roamed around Chinatown one afternoon,



wandered past a wedding at the Sri Mariamman temple,

 
then found this mosque around the corner. (Masjid Jamae/ Chulia Mosque).
Diversity? Yup, Singapore definitely has it.



Singapore also has...


Chilli Crab!!! We tried this one at the Old Airport Road Hawker centre, led there by a fantastic little book called the Makansutra Guide. It's a list of must-try hawker food and we intend to put each entry to the test.  Just to make sure.

 The chilli crab in the photo was consolation prize. We'd actually gone to check out a different stall mentioned in the guide. But, when we got there, all the crabs had been sold out! Singaporeans take their food very seriously. So seriously that the public transport service providers put on extra trains (MRT) during lunch hour. If you travel around by train between 12 and 2 pm, prepare to be a bit crushed.






What are those things? Fresh water chestnuts (top photo with skin on, bottom photo-peeled). I have missed these so, so much.




Fish (shaped) pancake filled with melted chocolate (or other fillings, e.g. jam). Japanese snacks are very, very popular and we've found some version of this snack in almost every shopping mall we've been to. This one came from the food court section of the Takashimaya Department store in Orchard Road. I love this section, it's filled with the most amazingly eclectic collection of snacks. Ever. From handmade chocolates to roasted seaweed. Or giant rolls of baumkuchen to dainty little durian pancakes.

Yes, I did say durian! That notoriously smelly fruit. Oh be still my heart...





A girl can only hold out for so long. I succumbed and it was worth every bite. MC Senior and Junior both gamely took a bite but are not converted.  I don't even need to tell you what Mr. Kitchen Hand's reaction was!







However, Mr. Kitchen Hand gamely tried soursop ( a relative of the custard apple) and he liked it. This strange wobbly yellow mess that looks like it has frog spawn strewn all over it is actually one of my favourite, recently discovered desserts. The white blobs are soursop flesh, the yellow blobs are herbal jelly (very mild, tastes almost of nothing), and the frog spawn is basil seeds. The green thing at the back is a calamansi lime for squeezing over everything. All this good stuff sits atop a mound of freshly shaved ice. It's the first Asian dessert everyone in the family agrees on. The flavour is tangy and sweet and very, very refreshing.

This one we obtained from the drinks/ dessert stall at the Food Junction (a food court) at the bottom of the Great World City shopping mall. (I did tell you in the last post that Singapore has many, many, many shopping malls). The other desserts at this stall can be a bit hit and miss, but the soursop jelly really scores.











No, your eyes are not deceiving you. Amidst all the busy-ness and incredible bouts of eating, I desperately needed to bake some cookies. (Nothing like an impending deadline to increase kitchen productivity levels).

The serviced apartment we're living in has an oven!

Oh joy!

But no baking trays.
Or baking implements.

Oh bummer!

But I had a fork, a bowl and a measuring jug. I bought a cookie tray and some baking paper and I was sorted. The recipe for these peanut butter, oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies come from Baking Illustrated, and can be found here (Brown Eyed Baker). I first saw these at The Hungry Dog's blog and immediately rushed out to buy ingredients :)


And that my friends, is that.

Thank you for listening to me ramble. I leave you with a random photo I thought would put a smile on the faces of all teddy bear fans out there.







And if you have any Malaysian Monday entries, please send all your entries to me (its(dot)sharon(at)gmail(dot)com) by the last week in May. The next round-up will be posted on the  first Monday in  June. 

9 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for the gorgeous photos of Singapore. I hope to get there some day!

Fiona Reilly said...

There's always so much more to moving country than you anticipate, isn't there? But glad to see you solved those issues the same way I did - just by getting out there and eating your heart out!
Enjoy your new home Shaz.

Cheah said...

I can see that you're getting familiarised with your new country, and enjoying all the goodies as well!

chowwithchow said...

Because of this post, I have made it my goal to get to Singapore and eat my way out of it within the next two years.

chowwithchow said...

Because of this post, I have made it my goal to get to Singapore and eat my way out of it within the next two years.

grace said...

i'm so jealous of your exploration adventures! and good for you for macgyver-ing your way into some fresh cookies! :)

Juliana said...

Beautiful pictures Shaz...it has been so long since I was in Singapore...
Hope you are having a great week and please share more pictures :)

Hungry Dog said...

I love these photos--it's like a mini vacation in itself! Things are so colorful there, how could you not have fun? And glad you made the cookies :)

Anh said...

All the best!! Your photos make me miss that sunshine country!